London (change)
Tue 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
30/04/2014 at 21:18

I don't subscribe to GW I must admit - I seem to buy it quite randomly (lots of train travel) and looking back over the last issues purchased its dawned  on me it would have actually been cheaper to subscribe,

Books are a different matter though; I cant think there's been a presenter or contributer  of GW whose books I haven't bought.. Sadly most seem to end up as door stops. I seem to hate technical books and enjoy those which have a story or personal touch.. Monty Don and C Kleins diary types being the most recent (I have enjoyed) though I still think Montys old DK book was the best... Hell I even enjoyed a couple of Alan Ts books until I realised I was reading in his voice and threw it at the cat in horror.

I'm a sucker for "gardens Illustrated" for the same reasons - Its un technical but seems to have more ideas and inspiration in two photos than GW ever offers, but then again it didn't give me half price entry to some of the best gardens in the country and more inspiration than could ever be captured in pics..

Just wondering then ..

What do you like

30/04/2014 at 21:35

The series of books by Martyn Rix and Roger Phillips, Shrubs, Early Perennials, LatePerennials and lots more including the splendid Mushrooms which has helped me ID lots of the fungi around the garden, Very good for a browse if you're looking for a new plant.

Christopher Lloyd wrote some good books early on but some of the later ones were rather empty. Lots of pretty and not many words. A shame as CL was a master of words.

.Rather the opposite from you.I don't think there's a single TV presenter whose books I have bought 

30/04/2014 at 21:38

I have far too many gardening books! A result of living too close to RHS Wisley. 

Alan Titchmarsh's 'The Complete How to be a gardener' probably comes off the bookshelf more than any other for my day to day gardening.

For inspiration, I love Penelope Hothouse's books 'On Gardening' and 'Garden Designs.' Also really liked Stephanie Cohen & Nancy Ondra's 'The Perennial Gardener's Design Primer.' 

30/04/2014 at 21:39

I do subscribe to GW, it was a Christmas gift and I still enjoy it - particularly the beautiful pictures!  I used to subscribe to Amateur Gardening, which I was introduced to when visiting the Chelsea Flower Show for the first time - I've sinced cancelled, as it got a bit boring (sorry!)  I'm a RHS member now, and receive their monthly magazine, which is very educational and a bit technical, but nevertheless, highly readable.  I'm also a sucker for BBC Radio Kent Sunday Gardening 8am - 11am, Radio 4's GQT and any other programme which inspires my passion.  I'm a National Trust member and visit gardens in Kent and Sussex, and I love the Hampton Court Flower Show.

30/04/2014 at 21:43

Sorry, Ighten, I didn't answer your question properly.  I have a number of books, which I refer to and read all the time - Monty Don, Carol Klein and various garden designers (who I can't name off the top of my head).

30/04/2014 at 21:43

A lovely client gave me Nigel Slater's 2 volume 'Tender' which talks about growing and cooking fruit and veg; brilliant, though I do find his manner slightly odd on television. 'How does your garden grow' by Chris Beardshaw.

I didn't know at the time that C. Beardshaw was a t.v. person; but it hasn't turned me against his book

30/04/2014 at 21:48

I won't buy a book simply because it's by a TV presenter but I won't snub them either. Just depends what the books about and if I think there's a better book on the same topic available.

30/04/2014 at 21:52

I subscribe to GW, garden news and amateur gardening (which sometimes seem like the same mag) but garden answers is my favourite.

I also took the limited offer on gardens illustrated but I'm binning that one.

Books wise I've got the Alan Titchmarsh 'how to' ones and the rhs encyclopaedia and I feel like I should like them...but I don't 

My favourite books are the rspbs gardening for wildlife, plants for bees and Collins British wild flowers which is the best guide I've ever seen.

30/04/2014 at 21:59
Scott Edwards wrote (see)

I won't buy a book simply because it's by a TV presenter but I won't snub them either. Just depends what the books about and if I think there's a better book on the same topic available.

I don't snub them, it's just that none of them have written my book yet

30/04/2014 at 22:03

Not suggesting you would snub them, Nut. Just saying that I don't deliberately avoid them myself.

30/04/2014 at 22:04

30/04/2014 at 23:56

Monty don the jewel garden and the complete gardener carol Klein's grow your own veg anything by alys fowler and the cottage gardener Geoff Hamilton you can't go wrong with these tombs of horticultural excellence 

01/05/2014 at 06:40

Delightful Freudian slip there - or shall we blame Auto-correct? 

I have Christopher Lloyds's The Well-chosen Garden and Alan T's more recent book, which was a prize on one of the GW competitiions, but I've not read it yet and the name escapes me.  I've also got an elderly vegetable book by Percy Thrower and an even older one which belonged to my gardening granny - most of the rest are plant reference books - RHS etc. and piles and piles and piles of The Garden and GW. 

01/05/2014 at 07:47

I used to buy GW every month, but we now get 'Which Gardening' mag included with OH's 'Which' subscription I'm more selective when I buy GW.  I have a small number of books - including Dr Hessayon 'Expert' series, RHS plant encyclopaedia - which I have refered to for many years.  My most recent book acquisition (a present from my mum  ) is 'Gardening in Pyjamas' by Helen Yemm.  Its written in an amusing informal style and addresses all the basics of gardening.  However, my usual source of info now is this forum - have learned so much just by visiting this site.  

01/05/2014 at 17:35

I subscribe to GW.  I used to subscribe to 'Digital Photographer' but after a few years variations on previous articles became more and more common so I cancelled.

01/05/2014 at 20:34

Place That Plant by Frances Welland.

Pages and pages of photos of plants and the best place for them to grow successfully.

Divided into sections such as Plants for Lime Free/Acid soils,

Plants for shady places, Plants for dry places etc.etc.

I am always referring to it.

01/05/2014 at 20:47

I get GW but am thinking of changing as each year seems a repeat of the one before.

Also started to subscribe to Kitchen Garden at the beginning of the year, it a good read if you grow lots of veg. I can easily be drawn though to any gardening mag if the seeds on offer are something I'd like to grow so sometimes buy a random mag.

I've lots of veg/fruit growing books which are regularly referred back to but some are first or second editions and growing changes, now I tend to buy one's which are more specific, just bought two RHS books, one about propogation, the other on problems in the garden about pests and stuff.  

01/05/2014 at 21:55

Place that plant by Frances Welland sounds good to me. I will look out for it! Thanks for the recommendation, Forester2.

01/05/2014 at 22:24

Bob Flowerdew - "The no work garden". Found it remaindered in a shop at Bicester and bought it to read while OH was shopping for Britain. Full of good sensible advice.

01/05/2014 at 22:29

Ah, yes, Helen Yemm's books & Dr Hessayon's series of books are ones that I regularly refer to.  I'm always looking for enlightenment regarding gardening in the charity shops and local village fetes - there are always gems to be found.

1 to 20 of 25 messages