Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

hello, I bought 2 x lovely glazed pots/saucers a while back intending to put bulbs in them. Have since discovered they are not frost-proof so am wary of keeping them outside in winter. Can't use them indoors as they are too big. Can I put something in them that dies down over winter and leave them in an unheated but very light shed until Spring ??? Will the plants survive being inside ??

was thinking about selling them on but really like them.

any advice welcome, 

thanks, shazza   

nutcutlet

I think if the pots are dry they'll be OK so maybe just plant them up for summer

Doghouse Riley

Many retailers will have a disclaimer regarding their pots advising that they aren't frost proof.

Many years ago I think I was instrumental (or maybe I was one of  a number of people who complained) in getting Wyevale to stop advertising ranges of pots as "frost resistant."

When I complained that the four I'd bought had "blown out," in freezing weather, I wasn't having the "They are only frost resistant sir." As I pointed out they hadn't resisted at all. So got my money back.

They stopped advertising them as such.

We've about a dozen high glaze ceramic pots of 12" or larger on our patio for roses etc.,(the ones that blew out weren't glazed). I used to go to the trouble of wrapping the pots in several layers of bubblewrap each winter. They all sit on pot movers so are not in contact the the patio. But for the last  couple of years I've not bothered. Neither the pots or the contents have suffered over the winter. Though they do "huddle together like Antarctic penguins."

Last edited: 18 September 2016 13:29:28

hello, thanks for all the replies, was afraid of something like that. Oh well, plan B it is then keep them for next year instead. Perhaps i'll buy some summer bedding to put in them instead and empty them in time for winter !!!

cheers, shazza

xx  

B3

It's good to have some empty pots in the spring so that you don't have to wait for the spring stuff to die off before you start planting you summer stuff. Your glass (or pot) is half full so to speak

Advertisement

HORTICO

Unless your garden is really well sheltered and you wish to keep plants/bulbs growing through the winter period.  It is a good idea to move the pots/containers to a more sheltered spot.  Over the years, I've found it worthwhile to raise the pot/container an inch or two off the ground, for drainage purpose.  Then to wrap and tie some hesian sacking or fleece or other protective covering around the container.  Make sure rainwater doesn't accumalate in the pot.  This should do the trick.