London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
7 messages
24/05/2012 at 14:11

Hi, I have growing in small pots, sunflowers, sweet peas, & lupins all have sprouted well and have several sets of leaves, I'm unsure if I need to pinch out the tips and if so would I do all of 3 of types of plants.

24/05/2012 at 14:13
I wouldn't pinch put the sunflowers, sweet pes can be pinched out after 3 sets of true leaves formed, never grown lupins!
24/05/2012 at 14:40

I have never pinched out lupins or sunflowers. but agree with figrat about the sweet peas.

24/05/2012 at 14:46

You need to plant your lupins out as soon as they are filling the pot as they are vigorous plants. Put them in a seed bed enriched with compost/manure/gromore about 9 - 12 inches apart and then move to your herbaceous border or other permanent position in the autumn or spring. You don't need to pinch out. They are unlikely to flower this year and if they do I would suggest you cut the flower stems off as soon as you see them as this will give you stronger plants. (First year flowers won't be very impressive anyway).

In general I find lupins quite easy to grow, hardy and reliable, but they are a bit of a slug magnet, so you need to take precautions.

EB

24/05/2012 at 21:42

many thanks for your replies, can anyone recomend a book that would give me advice on growing from seed, when to sow, pot on and  plant out and what maintenance is required.

24/05/2012 at 23:46

I would try the library and look for anything by Alan Titchmarsh, Sarah Raven, Geoff Hamilton, Alys Fowler, Carol Klein.

Most books have a theme, wild flowers or cutting gardens, I find a lot of information that I need is on the back of the packets or websites for some seeds. Growing from seed is at times a little hit and miss because you are so dependent on conditions. My seedlings have really struggled with low light levels over the last 6 weeks. 

25/05/2012 at 11:14

I like Dr Hessayon's "Expert" series. A little dated now but nice and clear with instructions which are easy for idiots like me to follow. B&Q used to do them but have now moved to Alan Titchmarsh. Last time I was in there they were selling the Hessayon ones off, so may be worth a look.

The Vegetable Expert is a particularly handy little book. You can buy it on Amazon for under £3 delivered.

EB

email image
7 messages