London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 49 messages
20/03/2013 at 13:58

Having just joined I,m interested what you,se folks garden

20/03/2013 at 14:03

Big, full of wildlife with lots of wild and other plants to attract lots of species.

At the moment wet and bedraggled as I've never seen it before.

20/03/2013 at 14:04
Mines flower garden really , but have herb pots and planters and will have bags of potatoes and veg pots around
20/03/2013 at 14:43

mine at the moment is like a tip ,building work going on But it can only improve , that's why I have an allotment will post pictures in the near future, before and After

Derek

20/03/2013 at 14:45

All of the above plus pots and hanging baskets.

The veggie garden is raised beds for ease of access and drainage and ha s permanent rhubrab and fruit beds plus seasonal veggies except in winter when they all get frozen to mush.  Herbs in sunny spots and pots.

The flower garden includes beds in shade and full sun, damp beds and well drained, shrubs, perennials bulbs, a woodland corner, hedges and a wildlife pond.  

20/03/2013 at 14:51

Hey up nutcutlet sounds idilic your very luckly look after the frogs.

20/03/2013 at 14:57

Hey up Bunny the best of both worlds cant be a bad thing see if you can get hold of some wine boxes they are great for growing salad stuff in.      

20/03/2013 at 14:57

My garden is quite small and as it was a new build when we moved here 19 years ago all that's in it and how it looks is down to me, except for the pond, which is my husband's pride & joy so I leave that completely to him.

I've only taken a big interest in gardening over the past couple of years so because I understand a little bit more about what I'm doing now lets just say it's a working progress and is evolving nicely, even if I do say so myself  

20/03/2013 at 14:59

Hey up obelixx Adopt me!!!

20/03/2013 at 15:02

Hey up Derek power to your elbow and keep a good stock of that black falling down stuff in.

20/03/2013 at 15:06

Hey up tattianna be proud of what youve done lass I.ll bet that husband of yours is

20/03/2013 at 15:09

Mine is a piece of an uncultivated field which I am trying to lick into shape.I am surrounded by fields which provide a continuos supply of weed seeeds.

I have raised beds for veg. inside a Heath Robinson fruit cage, more veg beds, pond and flower beds. Lots of pots with plants waiting to be planted and a very overgrown area with lots of pots brought with me 7 years ago and still waiting to be planyed out.

20/03/2013 at 15:17

Brian, frogs are in short supply. I can offer great crested and smooth newts though. I have hundreds of newts and they like frogspawn.

20/03/2013 at 15:19

Hey up Joyce Goldenlily Rome wer,nt built in a day mind you if a few from this web site had been there it might have been.

20/03/2013 at 16:08

Sorry Brian.  I have a teenager, two dogs and two cats plus a husband who needs supervision in the garden or he "weeds" my treasures cos it's quicker than selecting just the nettles, buttercups, couch grass and other nasties.   Quite enough on my plate thanks.

20/03/2013 at 16:17

Good thread.

I have   anew garden , well we completely cleared it when we moved in 3 years ago. Very much work in progress. I have 3 raised veg beds about to come 4, a cordon of apples and pears and 2 fruit areas, one with currants and one with rhubarb - newly planted -  a cherry tree and some strawberries. A fairy dell about a third done but no planting a courtyard type problem - too shady - for next years work oh and a lovely greenhouse(unheated)

and I have just been out to buy shrubs for the front based on recommendations from the Forum

20/03/2013 at 16:22

I have flowers in the front garden, a mixture of perennials and annuals plus a huge magnolia tree, which was supposed to be no more than 1 1/2 meters and is now at least 6 meters tall and a red hazelnut. Some lawn in the middle, a hedge against the road and a pergola against the house with fox grapes and clematis and climbing rose. West side lawn and rotary clothes line, Back (North side) a pond with visits from neighbours frogs and goldfish that gobble up the frog eggs, a raised vegi bed 2m40 by 1.50, at the moment a soggy mess, and some autumn rasperries and red currants, plus an old Citroen that should have gone to the tip ages ago but OH thinks he can fix it! East side towards short private road (2 houses each side), "front" door with a red climbing rose and flower pots either side of the door. At the moment everything is a huge mess but until it gets a bit warmer here (central Switzerland) can't get up the enthusiasm to do anything. As soon as things start to look like something will post some photos.

20/03/2013 at 16:32

Hey up Rosa dont you like gooseberries they make fantastic chutney mixed with ginger.its great with cheese toasties and the rest of course.

20/03/2013 at 16:34

Just planted 2 gooseberries and yesterday a Jostaberry. Have no real idea what I am doing so resort to books, not interent and if a real problem, since I found the Forum I come on here.

20/03/2013 at 16:38

I like formal over chaos, every shade of green, dappled shade, elegant blooms, contrasting foliage and plenty of work to do. Even weeding is a joy to me.

My garden is the envy of my friends and family and yet, it's no where near what I want. It's increasingly less mature the further away from the house with some sections remaining gappy just because I can't afford to fill them yet or haven't decided what I want. I make all the decisions although OH is happy to assist me any way he can and enjoys the garden along with me. I don't have kids or pets, Oh and I did all the hard landscaping last, since I just couldn't resist buying plants over paving slabs

This year's main focus is more vegetables, and more colour co-ordination within the five rooms that make up my humble plot. No clashing please.

I'm a bit of a control freak although I'm also green, love the wildlife that chooses to make my garden home, bore my friends silly on the subject of plants and talk to my plants (in the ground or pots) when I'm out there come hail or shine.  I can't help communicating my joy and pleasure to have such special amazing and faithful flora that brings me such wonder and happiness every year.

1 to 20 of 49 messages