1 to 20 of 24 messages
10/08/2014 at 13:32

I have just posted on  Latest Posts and described what might be a perfect day for me. What would be yours ?  I know we could say flying to the Maldives for a month or winning the lottery , but I mean a perfectly ordinary day that would bring you great pleasure.  

10/08/2014 at 13:36
Sunshine, swifts in a blue sky. Maybe a walk with the dog, and a sleep on the hammock

Forgot to say veggie full english for brekkie
10/08/2014 at 13:38

My perfect day would be very simple.....all the HW done (including washing/ironing), a walk along the beach with my dogs then back home to my house on the edge of the beach overlooking the sea (that bit is a dream) to sit down with a drink of something nice and cold with a good book, surrounded by lots of beautiful flowers,including agapanthus, lavender, sweet peas, stocks, cosmos.......the list is endless  And of course they would all be perfect, not weather beaten, drooping, broken or in need of deadheading 

Oh it's nice to dream 

In reality, perfect for me would be absolutely nothing at all to do in the house, dinner prepared for me so that I could just sit and read and enjoy my garden without feeling guilty.......that's probably more of a dream than the first post, it will never happen!!

10/08/2014 at 15:05

At the moment I  have the odd perfect day already   which for me is  a day  of   pot t e ring      in the garden  ,being able or to achieve clearing the long border     e t c . 

I don't ask for a lot for me it's the simple things in life.

I love working in the garden .I am my happiest. 

10/08/2014 at 15:15

Getting up to a perfectly tidy/clean house with breakfast waiting for me.  IIt would be late May and there would be a blue sky with a little breeze.  The garden would be nice and tidy and there would be two spaces in the garden crying out for new plants.  I would then go the garden centre find exactly the right plants (at half price) have a cream tea and return home to plant them.  In the evening Hubby would cook a lovely meal and we would eat it outside with a nice chilled glass of Pinot blush.  He would then clean everything up. That's perfection.

10/08/2014 at 15:22

Waking up in the morning then realising that I don't have to go to work anymore as I'd retired.  Just a few years to go (I hope - never know with governments like this one!)

10/08/2014 at 15:56

Oh ive had my perfect day,

What it was i got a call from the local animal rescue people 2 years ago,I'd rescued at that time two ill treated dogs and at the time i did think this is as bad as it gets ref ill treating animals but i was in for a real shock after this latest call,

"Could you please foster a 14 year old german sheperd dog for a few weeks we're at busting point and need help"?

After a long thought "2 seconds" We said ok we're on our way.

Some 18 miles later we arrived at the centre, we we're asked to come into the office and then told the dog was not a savage dog it was a bitch, one of two her other sister had just been fostered out, both dogs had been in a cellar for two years after their owner had died and his two daughters had just locked both dogs in the cellar, the french police had taken the dogs off the girls after complaints from an heating engineer who'd been to the house to sort heating problems out and he'd seen the dogs suffering.

Well after this introduction to what the dogs lives had been like they opened the door to the back office and thats the first time i'd seen "Roxsanne"

She was thin really thin her claws we're long the fur you could pull out, the fur was rough like wire, her eyes we're what i'dcall like a dead fish's eyes just blank and under her front legs was raw, no fur tobe seen, she'd been on a concrete floor for christ knows how long and to add insult she stank.

The centre did offer to clean her up but i said i'd sort her out,

I just wanted to get her out of the centre and all the barking dogs in the background,

The strange thing was she tried to climb into the back of our 4x4 but could'nt manage to even walk properly.

We got her home and fed her some of the puppy food the rescue centre had given us, it went in one way and within a few mins was coming out the other end,

It was pure liquid no sign of her bady using the goodness in the food,

we fed her milk and rag washed her coat, cleaned her ears and made a bed inddors in the kitchen, (the dogs are normaly in the stables area at the rear of the house but i didn't think this dog would see a week out, i was sure she'd die.

After three weeks of baby food feeding and verious milky drinks with honey etc added she started to pick up and we managed to get the pads on her feet to start to heal up from a raw state so she could walk around the soft lawn but no chance on the driveway or the track outside our house were we took the other two dogs for daily walks,

It was a long hard battle for "Roxsanne" and now if you could see her and her coat you'd understand what im saying about my best day, the day she gave me her fist lick,

Ive had many since but im amazed this dog ever wanted anything to do with humans ever again,

But i did my best for her and she's now always within a few feet from my side

And every evening we both go for a walkies on our own and she loves it.

10/08/2014 at 15:56

A sunny day spent with my family.....a day at the beach or a picnic by the river or just at home eating Sunday lunch cooked for me.

And fresh clean sheets every day......

10/08/2014 at 16:01

Awww Smokin Donkey,  what a sad story, but with a very happy ending.

10/08/2014 at 16:06

What a lovely story SD, sadly there are still too many dogs (and other animals) that need just as much care, if there were more people willing to rescue unwanted pets they would have a happier life. 

10/08/2014 at 16:48

Smokin Donkey - hope the police charged the two daughters with cruelty. I hope Roxsanne will be able to stay with you for the rest of her life - you are very kind..

10/08/2014 at 16:56

I think my really perfect day would be to wake up, turn radio on and find that the world had finally come to it's senses and wars had been miraculously abolished.

Unlikely so I think it would just have to be a walk thru woodland watching and listening.......oh, and no bloody wind either  

10/08/2014 at 16:58

'Imagine' Philippa....John Lennon wanted that too and I'm also with you, but sadly it will never happen 

KEF
10/08/2014 at 17:12

I would wake to a lovely summer morning at home.

Sun out, road blocked off so no traffic noise, all neighbours on hols, having had gentle rain overnight all things would be nicely watered for the day. Grass would have been cut previous day and all weeding would have been done. Someone would have cut phoneline and my mobile would have been lost. Only downside no forum

I would float about in fine satin and inspect the garden and decide what bit of deadheading I'd do in my pretty white garden gloves. All the veg would have been harvested and if not eaten, frozen. I'd happily water in the GH's and then have a cup of tea in a fine china cup on the patio and watch the birds feed.

Then after showering, pampering myself and applying sun cream I'd ...... 

go digging, messing and getting dirty feet, nails and clothes. Bet those that "know" me thought I'd lost the plot with the above

Hard to just sit and appreciate your garden isn't it ? Wish we could all learn to do that.

10/08/2014 at 17:14

Smoking donkey. You made me very tearful reading your post. What a wonderful end to her suffering. Thank you SD. I have owned several dogs including 3 G.S's, they are the most loving, loyal dogs. My last dog never left my side either. Stuck to me like glue. I would have them again tomorrow if I could.    But I can't .

Thanks to all who posted , it's lovely to read that most people are happy doing such simple things 

10/08/2014 at 17:27

Kef.......you had me worried for a minute (especially the white gloves ! ).....you have a wonderful imagination.......a perfect day indeed

Runnybeak.....a nice gentle thread which allows us to indulge ourselves....and why not ?........before tomorrow brings the usual problems

10/08/2014 at 17:32
Smokindonkey, that just made me cry! Lots of love to roxanne x
10/08/2014 at 17:32

What a nice thread. Not sure I could describe a perfect day for me. It wouldn't be in the garden though - it would be walking on a hill on a good bright day, forgetting all the usual stuff we all have to deal with. Just enjoying the fresh air,  the wildlife and the views. 

Lovely posts on here 

10/08/2014 at 17:35

I thought someone had stolen 'our Kef' for a moment,......phew 

10/08/2014 at 18:10

S d      as some one who also has fostered ,or started off fostering and not being able to part with them so ended up adopting and have had dogs who h as 've been cruelly treated I do know what you mean.it doesn't matter about how bad they smell you just want to help , don't you , you just get on with it, wanting to give an animal a better and as much love as you can  to stop the hurt, you look at the dog ,cradle the dog and give a silent promise that they are now safe and the first day of a new careing life ?

Your rewarded tenfold .my last dog was rescued from a busy motorway ,skin and bone only a few months old and very frightened. Two days earlier we had just taken in a  old dog who had been b r a y e d   and thrown in a shed ,left for 3 days and this was a nurse who did this to him. This made us five dogs. It's hard and you get very emotional  But you do it don't you?

It made me cry reading about her , but  so pleased she found you  

S d   I wondered if you could post a photo of your little /big girl Roxsanne  . 

1 to 20 of 24 messages