London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
261 to 280 of 311 messages
24/11/2012 at 16:03

Please can I have some of your frangipane tart Frank

Quick dinner tonight - chicken kievs,romanesco cauli,new potatoes and onion sauce

24/11/2012 at 16:09

Late afternoon snack of OH's yummy lemon drizzle cake.

Meal tonight is homemade red pepper pasta sauce with rigatoni, or 'tubes' as we call them, & a cheese & tomato flatbread.

The Remoska baked pears plus youghurt or icecream for afters. J.

24/11/2012 at 16:25

jo4eyes, I have just made cheese (glamorgan) sausages, will chill them to have tomorrow but initial sneaky taste says they are really good. I put lots of fresh sage in.

Just made wheat free short bread with rose water.

Just burnt my hand on saucepan handle, covered hand with egg white after soaking in cold water; seems to have stopped the pain.

24/11/2012 at 17:03

Went out to lunch so having half a WW pizza with italian meat and salad. banana for afters I guess - oh maybe a satsuma

24/11/2012 at 19:41
artjak wrote (see

Just burnt my hand on saucepan handle, covered hand with egg white after soaking in cold water; seems to have stopped the pain.

Never heard of egg-white as a soother of burns, I've found "Burneze" excellent - give it a squirt, or maybe a couple more; job done.

I got a small burn the day before yesterday which had blistered; I squirted & had forgotten all about it until now. The blister disappeared & all that's there is a tiny pinky mark.

Venison burger, jacket potato & 4 years out of date beetroot pickle (not my own - Baxters) still very nice.  2 Christmas fairs with associated teas & cakes somehow took the edge off our appetites.....

25/11/2012 at 09:07
lilylouise wrote (see)

Please can I have some of your frangipane tart Frank

Quick dinner tonight - chicken kievs,romanesco cauli,new potatoes and onion sauce

Lilylouise, I did save you some Tart, when you did not arrive, probably the heavy fog we had all day I had to eat it, yummy.

Today is silverside of beef with roast potato's veg various and Yorkshires (it is always Yokshires on Sunday even with summer salad, they are nice cold with butter and jam that is how my late wife ate them).
Tonight around seven there is an apple pie with more cream then Strictly result.

Frank.

25/11/2012 at 11:15

Highland Jeannie, apparently it is the collagen in the egg white that helps the skin to recover; but only for minor burns. I will get some Burneze though, it is probably less messsy than layers of egg white.

25/11/2012 at 13:50

Just had the last of the veg soup with cheese & crusty bread, then baked pears & yoghurt for me, OP had icecream.

Tonight have decided to do the Monday macaroni cheese over cauli as tomorrow will be organised chaos around here. Having a new bath & shower fitted so not sure when will have water to cook etc. J.

25/11/2012 at 14:19

Jo4eyes; cheese sausages were a huge success; any more veggy/vegan recipes for 2 friends coming to stay soon?

25/11/2012 at 14:54
artjak wrote (see)

I always keep a pot of Aloe Vera on the kitchen window sill in case of burns. Just pull off a leaf and rub the juice onto the burn. Its amazingly good.

Kedgeree and jacket potatoes for supper tonight.

25/11/2012 at 16:36

Salmon, Curly kale, broccoli and spuds tonite followed by stewed apple, not compost today - not enough fruit variety for that

28/11/2012 at 17:05

Slow cooked belly pork marinaded in hoisin sauce and other flavours and cooked over water so it sort of steams. With a mixture of veg, and rice. Followed by compost. haven't had it for ages

28/11/2012 at 17:11

Compost Bjay!!! I hope not

We're having a pressure cooked vegetable curry tonight with, probably, Greek yoghurt plus honey for afters.

Was going to have oven on earlier, but OH busy & I needed to supervise the heating engineer/plumber, so hope to do that tomorrow. J.

Lyn
03/12/2012 at 11:39

I still have some lettuce in the garden and spring onions plus some toms still hanging on the vine, some nice basil growing well so lets look in freezer for something to go with salad. I have a strawberry crumble for afters, with custard. Oh, and new potatoes with mint from the garden. 

03/12/2012 at 14:57

I'm roasting a little chicken, surrounded by; carrots, poatoes, parsnips, beetroot, onion, garlic and turnips. I have never cooked (or eaten) turnips before; Jane Grigson's vegetable cookery book says blanch for a few minutes then roast in 1cm of oil. I would never dream of using that much oil; it sounds horrid. Anyone have other ideas on cooking turnips?

Lyn
03/12/2012 at 15:22

I only use turnips in stews.

03/12/2012 at 15:48

In this neck of the woods NE England we often cook turnip with the potato then mash them together it is called Neaps. Carrot and turnip cooked together and mashed is also a winter dish for cold days with roast meat.
A mix of potato turnip carrot and parsnip parboiled sprayed with oil and roasted in the oven also goes with meat or chicken. Turnip was a winter staple along with other root veg, sprouts, kale and cabbage provided the greens.
I use turnip in all stews or in mince for the base of pasta dishes and when peeling and dicing it will often eat it as I go along with raw carrot, that is the fresh turnip not the soft stored too long stuff.

Frank.

03/12/2012 at 17:38

Thank you both for the info.

Lyn
04/12/2012 at 15:57

I thought neaps was a mixture of swede and potato

04/12/2012 at 16:16

Lyn, According to Jane Grigson veg book swedes and turnips are a bit interchangeable the further north you go. '...in Scotland when people talk of neeps they mean swedes...but a dish called turnip purry is invariably a puree of swede'. Is that all crystal clear now?

261 to 280 of 311 messages