London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
101 to 120 of 311 messages
27/10/2012 at 23:38

Shrinking Violet, Garlic, toms, onions and chillies were home grown and herbs. Peppers were, sadly, disappointing this year  . I've just ordered some different varieties of peppers for next year, hopefully they'll prefer the British climate.

28/10/2012 at 08:38

Last night was celeriac, bramley apple and ginger soup; just wonderful after sitting in a huge cold chapel for a couple of hours listening to a divine choir. Today, having been mainly vegetarian all week, might have lamb as a treat.

28/10/2012 at 08:55

Artjak, that soup sounds sensational, I must look up a recipe at once.

28/10/2012 at 10:17

Tea yesterday was Friday's tea which had been cooled and put in the fridge after a menu change.
I was getting visitors so back in the oven went the braised steak with onions and veg added plenty of them to fill them up, with mash and some braised leeks it went down a treat followed by bread pudding using bread and eggs that would have been binned, I use marmalade and dried fruit, that vanished too so a cheap meal fed six and I got a big thumbs up from the grand children.
Today is spoil myself day so a nice cut of beef for lunch with all the Sunday trimmings plus Yorkshires cooked in the meat tin, so apart from the meat the rest is cheap plus what comes out of the store cupboard and herb garden.
Tea will be late and probably a cheese and tomato sandwich, after lunch I do not need much these days.

Frank

28/10/2012 at 11:30

Dear Flo Werebear; For soup mentioned above;

Slice 1 large white onion and cook gently in the oil of your choice in a large lidded pan

After 5 mins add 2 or 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped

"        "          " a peeled and chopped celeriac, 2 cooking apples, a thumb sized bit of fresh ginger chopped, put lid on pan, stir or shake pan frequently and cook for a further 8 mins.

Add veg stock, made from powder or cube mixed with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk to cover all veg by 1 cm. Let simmer until celeriac pretty soft (abt 15 or 20 mins)

Whizz up in blender, I then put it through 'mouli legume' veg mill, about £12 from good kitchen shop; v. useful for soups made from fibrous veg like home grown celery. Serve with curls of hard cheese, made with potato peeler ot a dollop of mayo; enjoy

28/10/2012 at 11:43

Artjak.

Thanks for posting the recipe for the soup. I have downloaded it and will be making some when I can get some celeriac, sounds delish. We love soup, so a new recipe is always appreciated.

Frank, your dinner sound lovely, as aways - I can almost smell it from here, a bit of beef and yorkshires takes some beating.

We are having roast pork, apple sauce, sage and onion stuffing, with various veg (to be decided when I go to garage to get them). pudding will be fruit of some sort. Try to keep off the sweet stuff.

Have a nice day folks.

ChrisX

28/10/2012 at 11:43

Thanks Leggi. I was trying to be clever with the recipe. It may have looked a soggy mess but in fact tasted great - one piece left for lunch I think

I do have a tried and tested one but if you don't look elsewhere you may miss something really good. won't use that recipe again - also from Good Food 

28/10/2012 at 12:42

This a.m. in supermarket, went mad and bought a 'mouli' large white radish thingy. Came home and googled for recipes and found mouli remoulade. I'm a big fan of celeriac remoulade since I  invested in a proper food processor 2 years ago. So I just processed peeled mouli on julienne disc and added homemade mayo, though shop bought would do and it is wonderful; crisp and slightly radishy, but not too much so. For future ref, I will not make it until just before needed as this veg starts to leach water quite a lot if left standing in mayo.

28/10/2012 at 13:06
Beef stew and dumplings
28/10/2012 at 13:16

artjak, thank you so much for providing the recipe. I shall commit it to OneNote now and look forward to finding celeriac so I can try it out.

Flo x

28/10/2012 at 13:25

OH just made his very yummy small yorkies, filled with peppers & mushrooms & covered in gravy.

Tonight is a veggie version of Shepherd's pie, with some fried cabbage- when I can get into kitchen..... They, OH & daughter are going to have a baking session again. Love the results, hate the mess! J.

28/10/2012 at 16:10

Beef borguignon (one of OH speciality) takes hours to cook.with broccoli (no carrots). Probably more apple with blueberries and 4 raspberries ( last in garden)

May br glass of red wine - not sure yet

28/10/2012 at 16:14

That soup sounds fantastic.  I'm a great fan of soup - perfect on a miserable winter's day, so I'll definitely give that one a go. 

Tonight it's roast chicken with sausagemeat, onion and parsley stuffing, with lots of veg.  (For me, the plus side of winter is the arrival of Brussels sprouts!  I know - sad or what?  but I really do love them!)

Dessert is Millionaire's Chocolate Tart - recipe in the supplement from the latest Good Food magazine, so don't know what it will be like.  We had expected visitors - but they were unable to come at the last minute.  I had planned to make this - so I've done it anyway, and will slice and freeze it after we've tested it!  (We only have desserts on a Sunday - not actually a great pudding lover.  And I suspect this will be far too sweet for me, especially since I'm not that keen on chocolate to begin with -  I'd rather have cheese and biscuits)

28/10/2012 at 16:31

Broccoli with cheese sauce for me

28/10/2012 at 20:37

scampie and jacket potatoe down the pub after a long walk to torquay

28/10/2012 at 20:56

Chocolate tart:  OH and son loved it.  I thought it over-sweet and a bit sickly.  But then it was never likely to be much favoured by my less-than-sweet tooth.  Worth the effort, though, when entertaining, methinks.

28/10/2012 at 22:50

chilli jam is just amazing I made 5 small jars it wont last long We had it on our bacon rolls at lunch time. We had it with pakora and then on wraps with chicken greek yoghurt and salad it is so yummy

29/10/2012 at 08:48

Weejenny, please tell me; what is pakora?

29/10/2012 at 13:56

Artjak Pakora is Indian finger food, I know because wondering myself I looked it up and found lots of recipes for it. We live and learn.
Yesterday I cooked a ham for today, it would have been ham Chips and peas but Daughter arrived with a large corn-beef and potato pie so change of menu.
We had ham and tomato sandwiches for lunch and the rest will go into the pea and ham soup tomorrow with the lovely stock I got from cooking the ham.
She also brought a soft chocolate cake saying warm it and have it with custard, that is tonight taken care off then.
Chris, if you can get ham shank where you live (they almost give them away here) use that as a base for soup stock, soak them overnight to get the salt out, leek and potato, pea and ham, or even mulligatawny that is the one spiced with curry, very warming in the winter with crusty bread.
Frank.

29/10/2012 at 16:44

Our tea tonight will be leftovers from Sunday dinner.

Cold roast pork, fried potatoes and swede and carrots mashed together with butter and plenty of black pepper, gravy and apple sauce.

Frank. Yes we can get ham shanks or hocks as we call them here. I sometimes buy one and we have the meat cold and use the rest for soup along  with the stock I cook it in. Makes lovely pea and ham soup. Will try leek and potato again, haven't had it for a while. I sometimes add a small chilli to my soups, just to give a bit of heat, it makes a change. Thanks for reminding me

ChrisX

101 to 120 of 311 messages