London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
04/11/2012 at 14:21

snow on the mendips,sleet every where,rain and now its clouding over for some more rain.

04/11/2012 at 14:29

Heavy showers both yesterday and today - and pretty cold, too.  Danced in and out of the showers and managed to get my dahlias lifted (they're now upside-down to dry off a bit) and planted my garlic in modules.

Garden is a quagmire, so nothing possible in the borders etc.  My brussels and winter cabbages look very sorry for themselves.  I may have to resort to buying greens for Christmas!  And it's our normal tradition to go down the garden on Christmas morning to pick fresh for lunch.  No wonder farmers are so fed up with the weather.

04/11/2012 at 14:47

Nr Lincoln.

Dismal and rainy now after a fine morning, very frosty first thing, the weather box says cloudy, so that's about right. I haven't ventured into the garden today, been too busy with other things.

Chris.

04/11/2012 at 16:12

Not a cloud in the sky, clear blue, warm and sunny here.

Out in the garden most of the morning.

Jo, I need a good clear out too, I'm thinking car boot in the spring at give away prices and what doesn't sell goes to the tip. Did the same thing last year and had a tub of teddies/dolls which were freebie's to everyone who had a child and bought something, went down a treat and I sold most of the stuff, what I didn't sell by lunch time, went to see if other stall holders wanted to buy and made a few more pounds. Didn't need to go to the tip.      

I'd love a house which was minimalistic but can't bear parting with stuff, me thinks my winter project will be putting in shelves in the basement to store all  the stuff I need but never use 

04/11/2012 at 22:32

It's now -1.8c but the fog has at least gone,  supposed to get warmer over the next week but wet thats just what we need more rain !

05/11/2012 at 09:56

Frost here in N Yorks this morning - I hope that my fleeced fuchsias will be OK. As a matter of interest, what degree of frost do people find that a couple of layers of fleece will protect against? I'm always a bit wary of finding out by experiment.

05/11/2012 at 10:00

Malvern

Cold, and bright. Hint of frost gone by time I got up. Cloudless sky. Last night, by greenhouse temp was warmer than night before.

Bonfire tonight - street thing, lets hope it stays clear.

05/11/2012 at 10:23

WManchester- bright sun & a definite frost first thing this morning.Very little wind. Tip visit today!

It was actually colder in back at 8.30am being -0.4C cf 0C at 5.30am!! OH had to scrape his car so the front, usually warmer by a couple of degrees must have aslo been below.J.

05/11/2012 at 15:12

It was -2c last night at 11pm when I took the dog out and was only -1.7c this morning 4am ish but when I got up all the frost had gone thank goodness and it was raining a bit,  now  the sun is shining an it's a tropical 7.5c,  get the BBQ out 

05/11/2012 at 16:28

It has been a lovely day here in the Fens; finished the outdoor painting, but can't close windows for another couple of hours as they are still tacky. It is starting to get a bit chilly.

05/11/2012 at 19:51

A lovely sunny day today so went outside to make the most of it.  Housework can wait!

06/11/2012 at 12:32

No frost here in Manchester last night. Was 2C with the post Bonfire night fog.

Now wet & about 8C out there, but the fog has lifted.

Alina- I know you're in North too, am in Manchester with a cold East facing back garden. I've managed to keep some fuschia plants in pots over winters in the past. They were in a very cold greenhouse with a fleece cloche over them as well. In those days I didnt know the temperatures in there, but I now realise that at least -5C not unusual in there. I dont think I used to wrap the pots either in those days. Must admit to now tending to only grow hardy varieties, both in big pots & in the ground, but always take cuutings. J.

06/11/2012 at 12:40

Dull, cold and windy here.

Bonfire ashes getting blown about.

Thanks for that tip about fuchsia cuttings Jo. I have a lovely hardy one in the ground i really don't want to lose so will have ago at a cutting, though never had much success in past.

06/11/2012 at 12:54

Bjay- if the fuschia is hardy, & in the ground, it should cope with winter. I find after a bad one they take longer to restart & subsequently later into flower.

It's probably a bit late to take cuttings now, but if yours is still flowering & you're prepared to keep the cuttings inside on a sill, give it a go. None flowering shoot, trimmed at node, dibbled into hormone rooting powder (not vital if not got any, but helps I think) & popped around the edge of a pot, 3 per pot for me, then pot covered with a plastic bag to keep the moisture in. I remove any dying leaves that I see & usually find that by Feb have 2 or 3 cuttings with roots that I then pot up, still kepping inside.

This time have already potted mine on as they got taken earlier this yr with us going on holiday in Sept for longer. Hope that helps. J.

06/11/2012 at 12:58

Thanks. When can goin garden again will give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

06/11/2012 at 13:15

Here in the Fens; had to scrape the car windows this morning, now it's raining and chilly, but hurrah! there are still buds on the wonderful rose; Compassion.

06/11/2012 at 14:13

Dull but dry so far and not too cold.  It's very still and there is still a hint of the smell of "bonfires" in the air!

07/11/2012 at 14:51

Dry, at the mo, here in WManchester. Windy though so washing flapping well. Am keeping a watch out with the darkening clouds arriving though.

About 10C out there now. J.

07/11/2012 at 15:05

Had to cross the nine loops of Titan's Daughter Styx today "Rain", then pay Charon to proceed over Acheron, another good friend left us.
It was a glorious Autumn day, clear sky a slight breeze although not cold, a get together and then try to catch up with what has been a hectic week.
The box for Stockton says cloudy? will they never learn to look out of the window?

Frank.

08/11/2012 at 08:22

Nr Lincoln.

We have had a couple of reasonable days here, with some sun and some light rain, not that I have seen much of it,as we have been decorating.

This morning the sun is out and it looks like a nice morning, temperature has gone up by a few degrees, quite mild, lets hope it lasts, everything seem so much better with a bit of sun..