London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
25/11/2012 at 22:22

Still raining - but not as heavily as before.  We avoided the floods, but the next village came within an inch of being deluged.  Several other places have fared badly, but the week's forecast is for colder but drier weather thank goodness.  (If anyone saw Countryfile today, you will have seen us as the first village to have a full flood action plan in place.  How lucky we are to have avoided the worst).

25/11/2012 at 22:31

You are all lucky. Well done to your village as well, saw it on Countryfile - between sea and river is that the right one?

26/11/2012 at 08:38
Hi everyone. Hope you all got through,the floods and winds SAFELY.
26/11/2012 at 09:19

Stockton on Tees, terrible, the road is a river belting downhill, luckily for the houses down there it runs into a shallow valley which is a raging torrent but still room to expand, they should be OK.
Had a new TV delivered this morning at SEVEN THIRTY yikes, good job I was up and about, the driver said he had only just made it up our hill as all the dips were flooded and the cars stuck, in other words we are cut off.
Posh we were both mentioned on Country File, I saw the village and did wonder if it was you then we got a specific mention in the weather forecast, watch out Teesside, she was right.
I reckon it is a stay in day, may make some soup and a crusty loaf, cannot stand idle and daytime TV is not my mode.

Frank.

26/11/2012 at 10:11

Also throwing it down here in North Yorks, with rivers rising steadily and roads turning into rivers. There were flood signs on the road that I used this morning - just before an area that was dry Stay indoors and stay dry, Frank - unless you want a loan of my ark?

Hope everyone else avoids flooding, too.

26/11/2012 at 10:25

Hope that you still stay dry 'Posh' Frank I've got trashy daytime tv on but only as background 'noise' whilst I start the Christmas cards!

Plumber busy removing half our bathroom upstairs!

It's not actually raining out there at the mo, but we may get more later. About 6C now. J.

26/11/2012 at 10:50

How did you fair in Cornwall, Verdun?

We are beginning to dry out here, well it's sunny at the moment. Oh says roads and wood are only for paddling.

26/11/2012 at 11:01
Bjay's, far s.w. Cornwall....near st Ives bay. It's been so wet....understatement. Think s w. is amongst worst hit for flooding. Showers today, windy but warm. But cold weather on its way. Mind you, we may get dry spring cos it averages out I think.
26/11/2012 at 13:52

Alina, had no choice but to stay in, I had a house full of visitors who ate all my cold beef and ham (whats for tea now then), they made their way through the floods to see if all was well with me and just left.
It is cold wet and miserable out there but Jo, nothing would make me watch daytime TV, when I am finished on here it will be killer Sudoku then a book. And why do we always get big jobs done in the worst weather I ask, best of luck Jo.

Frank.

26/11/2012 at 14:00

It's raining here now Frank. Supposed to be dry by tomorrow morning, hope so as need to walk down to the hospital again.

Plumber finished for today- we have a new bath in the hall! Plasterer going in/out via back door, but I didnt get chance to put down more dust sheets on the stairs & dripping with plaster bucket & trowel...... I did ask too.

Traditional rice pudding for OH cooking in the oven. Smells good. J.

26/11/2012 at 14:17

I have built 2 Arks could maybe do with another,  back garden under water well the grass is,  the front garden under the window is the same and still it rains with no respite in sight,   there's a beck near me that's normally dry but the Council where there this morning with a JCB,  have took the fencing down around it and closed the footpath so they're obviously digging it out just in case,  it's quite deep about 8 feet below ground level but with all the rain it must have started running again with a vengeance,  fortunately the house's nearby are in no immediate danger of being flooded.

26/11/2012 at 15:50

I hope that your visitors brought you a cake in recompense, Frank!

Still chucking it down here, but a promise of dryer weather tomorrow. Stay dry and safe, everyone!

26/11/2012 at 15:54

went up the allotment ,at the main gate was a pollytunnel frame all bent ,with no cover,5 or 6 black darlecks rolling around not a lid in sight, one shed blown off its base,one shed with its side blown in,a green heavier darleck in the hedge ,not a bean wigwam left standing,all the fruit cages with their netting in tatters,wheel barrows in the hedge ditches,and anything that wasnt tied down now too late and my new strawberris look like they have took ok,now whats that song "lift yourself up dust youself off,no,no im off to the pub a new plan of campaing is needed,funny though all our stuff was ok,mind you iv got my shed tied down to scaffold tubes ,only becouse i  couldnt find any tank jacks like Paliasglide usesCheers all Alan4711

26/11/2012 at 16:21

Jo, when they did my bathroom I moved out to Daughters, as good as a ten star hotel although I had to do some of the cooking. They would not let me see how it was going as it was a mess and they know me and mess, the day they took me back it was gleaming, did have a tear in my eye for what they had done. The whole house.
Alina, they thought I would have made cake yesterday so no.
Alan4711, when you have lived in tents on Luneburg you know how to tie things down and those ground anchors got many uses they were not meant for, Siberia is a health farm compared with Luneburg.
It is still pouring and getting even colder in Stockton, the local paper tonight has pictures and I am glad I live on the hill.

Frank.

26/11/2012 at 22:45

A much better day today - only a few showers (though it is raining again now) and the worst of the flooding seems to have subsided.  Amazing how nature moves in at great speed - saw egrets and heron trying their luck on a flooded field!

Yes, we are the village between Exmoor and the sea, and Porlock is blessed with its own microclimate, which often means the worst of the weather hits the hills rather than us.  But the water has to go somewhere, hence the flood plan being in place!  The stream (well, river at the moment) has had banks strengthened etc to try to prevent the flooding that happened in the past.  Seems to be working (fingerscrossedsmiley).

27/11/2012 at 09:45

It is a dull dour day although the rain has stopped for the moment, I am managing without the light on as of now. The coastal weather front is a straight line North to South and is light grey cloud so I do have natural light for now in the East window.
The mob managed to get here for lunch though we were cut off for a short while it soon cleared.
More heavy rain forecast.

Frank.

27/11/2012 at 11:52

The clouds parted and I saw some blue sky,  its gone now and the rain has started again not heavy though thank goodness and there's still some patches of blue sky about,  it's a tropical 6c at the moment it was only 3.2c when I was out with the dog this morning,  I was going to go to Newcastle today but after all the rain these past days I'll leave it till the roads have cleared,  the wind is picking up as well hope it keeps the rest of the rain away,  my poor little Tete a Tete daffs that have sprouted will need water wings.

27/11/2012 at 12:39

"Rain" I have sunshine lighting up the room, blue sky above (we do have a roof I looked out the window) and Primroses blooming in the garden. One day floods hours later all back to normal.
Not really keen on Tete a Tete, the scent puts me off, I did plant several hundred bulbs in October, I love Daf's and Tulips although those Primroses certaily put a smile on my face.

Frank.

27/11/2012 at 13:41

Cold but so far dry here. Clouds are building though and its getting darker!

Definately more wet on the way, looking at the hills!

27/11/2012 at 13:43

No sign of my Tete a Tete yet. I grow them in pots and they look wonderful amongst the winter flowering pansies. Thought my bulbs here in the south east would be further advanced than those in the north. Just goes to show how wrong you can be.