04/12/2012 at 09:49

Stockton on Tees today is a white out, the frost has settled on the snow which did not get away yesterday and is reflecting the bright sunlight back as I look out of the window.
The sky is blue a little cloud and the Cleveland Hills looking lovely bathed in sunlight though it is bitter cold out there.
The greenhouse south facing with a wall at the back is still warm, it does pay dividends having a lean to, it gives a head start with plants.

Frank.

04/12/2012 at 15:51

Nr Lincoln.

Today started off very cold, severe frost last night, progressed to some sun, then rain showers. So all in all a mixed bag.

Chris

Lyn
04/12/2012 at 15:54

Hail stones settling in West Devon! cold.

04/12/2012 at 15:55

Palaisglide, we went to Morecambe for a friends retirement party so we didn't go for the seaside, went into Blackpool too as my step daughter lives there. Anythime of the year, it is still a beautiful part of the country. The sun has been out today in Bournemouth quite cold but at least it is dry.

04/12/2012 at 16:09

Brisk and bright in the Fens.

04/12/2012 at 17:03

Showers today in West Somerset - showers of rain, hail and sleet.  Brrrrrrr!

04/12/2012 at 17:13

No rain here in Worcs today but an oh so cold wind.

OH had thermostat in Big room and couldn't get raidiator to work, it's turned off as we usually have fire alight. Rest of house is extra warm and toasty though. Fire is now lit now

04/12/2012 at 18:32
Glorious sunny day in the Thames Valley, and I Spent most of it shopping at Dunelm Mills and Costco (big discount warehouse) in rural Reading. I hate shopping, but at least today solved most of the Christmas logistics problems - and grandchildrens presents almost sorted! If tomorrow is as nice it's up the allotment, but I should be so lucky as the girl sang!
04/12/2012 at 19:27

It threw it down first thing this morning, so had a lift down to the hospital. It dried up for the middle part of the day, finishing with more heavy rain again this evening. Temperature is dropping out there now so suspect there will be ice for my walk back down to the hospital, again tomorrow. J.

04/12/2012 at 19:40

Well it's been a lovely day here with lots of sunshine and just now as the local children held their annual lantern parade prior to Santa's arrival and firework display it stared pouring down!

Caz

04/12/2012 at 20:31

I was near Todmodem today and it was trying to snow just outside Burnley, drove through sleet for quite a while. Another cold, wet day.

05/12/2012 at 10:01

Just been outside, in the Fens, blindingly bright, sprayed the car windows to melt the ice which had formed wonderful patterns. Great weather for a good walk.

05/12/2012 at 10:25

Stockton still some snow and ice, blue sky sunshine and cold.
A dark band of cloud to the east over the coast which is creeping inland over the hills ten miles away, so not looking good for "Rain" who lives under them.

Frank.

05/12/2012 at 11:33

Cold and very bright, the sort of day you feel the garden needs you but can't walk on grass. May go out later and clear leaves, at the moment a never ending job

We thought there may be snow on top of the hills this morning but they are clear.

05/12/2012 at 15:19

Frost out the back this morning, but brilliant sunshine from the word go today.

Only slipped once going down the road & by the time coming back up all the pavements were dry. The wind had got up though. Only about 3C in back garden at the mo. J.

05/12/2012 at 15:22

Stockton got the black cloud inland from the coast and my Daughter three miles down the road got a white out, heavy snow, we got nothing although it darkens by the minute and I cannot see the hills.
There are little flurries of snow so we may be in for it later.
Daughter had arrived with a bag full of baking still warm, mincemeat tarts with frangipani topping, corn beef and potato pasties, a soft ginger cake and barra brith, so that is tea sorted then.

Frank.

05/12/2012 at 20:19

P.G. What is barra brith please?

05/12/2012 at 20:40

Hi  artjak - Bara brith is Welsh for "speckled bread" and it is a lovely fruit loaf made with yeast.  Now all I need is to know more about these mincemeat tarts with frangipani toppping!  Sounds delicious but how do you make this topping pleae Frank?

Caz

05/12/2012 at 21:28

Thank you Nadolig Carolau, and what does that mean? or is that your name? It seems  a very beautiful name though I'm guessing at how one pronounces it.

05/12/2012 at 21:31

Artjack - my name is Caroline (Caz for short) but most of us regulars who drop in the Potting Shed/Fork Handles thread have assumed "seasonal names" for a laugh. Nadolig Carolau is Welsh for Christmas Carol.