London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
10/02/2013 at 12:39

Raining in the Isle  of Man.......very miserable out there 

10/02/2013 at 15:20

Dull, hint of drizzle this morning after a hazy start; spent a couple of hours weeding & even dared to cut back some dead stuff.  Hope it wasn't too early  - although I left anything  precious for now. 1 slug spotted  & removed.

10/02/2013 at 15:45

Dismal day here in Cambridge - still, on the bright side it does mean I get quite a lot of house jobs done in the dry .

10/02/2013 at 16:01

You all said it all, nothing to add. Stockton cold dark miserable.
Jeannie your mum if she saw rain must have been at a base the top end of the Canal near the Med, we never saw one drop, never thought I would miss rain but you do.
Never saw Naafi girls either except on the very big bases and I never saw much of them, think big prisons, some people went on from the boat and never left until time to go home.
Mind saying that after convalescent camp I arrived at base to be on light duties, looking after the officers mess lawn, think small bedroom carpet with paves all round trellis covered in Jacaranda and other climbers and that one tiny pristine postage stamp lawn where they sat of an evening drinking their G&T's. I spent a leisurely day with scissors and clippers whilst the mess waiter kept me topped up with fresh fruit juice and ice cool water melon. I must have looked to relaxed as the CO made me his wife's driver. Think big Humber box with three heavily armed lads and one Lady who could never make her mind up, I did not last long there either.
Back up the blue I went.

Frank

10/02/2013 at 23:39
Blizzard conditions in the Chilterns again, everything covered - so that's tomorrow's plans for the allotment up the creek. Oh well, will have to finish painting the woodwork in the hall - there's always a job waiting for my attention. What happened to the dreams of a life of leisure when retirement arrived........still, being busy keeps me out of mischief!
11/02/2013 at 00:05
Snow and sleet in north/west Yorkshire. No use in garden in morning!
11/02/2013 at 08:25
Cloudy, dry ...could be a nice day here (I hope) .
11/02/2013 at 08:29

Snowing here in Surrey

11/02/2013 at 11:15

Woke up to a covering of snow - about 1 in - slowly the roads and paths have cleared but there is still snow on grass and roofs- all be it slushy

The day is dull and murky like the previous 2 days. Not a glimpse, hint, of sun

11/02/2013 at 11:37

Beautiful bright sunshine, having a quick cuppa before going outside .

11/02/2013 at 11:46

Snowing here in Surrey!  About 2" so far but we are on a hill.

11/02/2013 at 11:47
Palaisglide wrote (see)

Jeannie your mum if she saw rain must have been at a base the top end of the Canal near the Med, we never saw one drop, never thought I would miss rain but you do.
Never saw Naafi girls either except on the very big bases and I never saw much of them, think big prisons, some people went on from the boat and never left until time to go home.

Frank

I know she moved about a bit & was near Cairo for quite a while.  She was in an RAF camp at one point, it was called something like Helouin, but always referred to as "Hell 1."  I have lots of photos, but although labelled mean nothing to me.
My father was in the Rifle Brigade & said he knew every grain of sand on the North African coast as they advanced & retreated before El Alamain .

11/02/2013 at 12:26

Jeannie I think it would be "Helwan" near the massive army base of "Tel el Kabir", you could not throw your cap in the air without it landing on an Army or RAF base.

Stockton dry sunny patchy cloud and cold.
My cold is still hanging on a touch of kidney infection not helping but work to do including three sets of bed clothes after heavy night sweats, oh well sweat it out as they say.

Frank.

11/02/2013 at 12:40

Highland Jeannie and Palaisglide (as in ballroom dancing?), my birth mother was  an RAF Nursing Sister in Palestine and Aden and apparently after a while because it was so hot had to have leave every now and then. Am I right about this?

Sasha

11/02/2013 at 13:08

Back to weather - sorry - just started snowing nere again.

11/02/2013 at 14:09
Girasole wrote (see)

Highland Jeannie and Palaisglide (as in ballroom dancing?), my birth mother was  an RAF Nursing Sister in Palestine and Aden and apparently after a while because it was so hot had to have leave every now and then. Am I right about this?

Sasha

The women once we all moved out of that area on the mandate would be sent to Camps along the Canal and probably BMH Fayid a massive military hospital. Most of those camps Ismalia Shandur Suez had Lido's for recreation, gardens, sheltered area's and swimming. The women would get leave up in Port Said a camp run by the WVS and the photo of me doing the Palaisglide with three of those lovely ladies hence the pen name. Us men got one leave in the whole period. 118 degrees in the shade if you could find any and freezing the hairs off your chest at night, "err" well not the women I do not think, could be wrong.

We could talk about this on the message page I am in touch with others on there, up to you.

Frank.

11/02/2013 at 16:29

Palaisglide/Frank where is this message page?

Sasha

11/02/2013 at 17:10

I am wondering that - not very tecchie

11/02/2013 at 17:16

We shall get an answer when he has finished dancing around the room perhaps

11/02/2013 at 18:40