London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
02/04/2013 at 20:55

This part of the NW must have your sun, Jo, as it was another lovely day, no rain or wind and the sky was a meditrainean blue with white cloud this evening. 

The longer evening has made such a difference, got home from work and there was still a couple of hours daylight left to enjoy the garden.  

Hope it's nice on Saturday, going to the Nationalno gardening for me.   

03/04/2013 at 11:42

Cornwall. Lovely sunshine, freezing wind and hard frosts at night. Lovely starry skies.

Cannot do much outside except clearing up dead growth and weeds.

03/04/2013 at 11:53

Stockton sunny and bright, still that nip in the air from the easterly wind though.

Frank.

03/04/2013 at 12:33

Nr Lincoln.

Bright sunshine and a degree warmer than yesterday reaching the dizzy heights of 8c. but it is creeping up, so not too bad.

ChrisX

03/04/2013 at 20:24
Chilterns - sunny,breezy and cool, but warm in GH. Spent a couple of hours potting-on Roma tomatoes, Primo cabbages, fuchsias,and tidying up pots of strawberries ( from runners), and pots of cauliflower and calabrese plant lets.
Everything looking healthy, and this afternoon up to the allotment, turning over the ground ready to plant Lady Christl new potatoes - sooooooooon, I hope!
03/04/2013 at 21:01
Been very warm today. Lovely day
03/04/2013 at 22:54

No frost overnight - yippeeee, slight cloud at 1st then lovely sunshine again.  My cheeks are quite pink having been out for a few days in the sun!

04/04/2013 at 09:51

Stockton sunny although the wind is biting. Both lawns had first cut and trim so they will be feeling it.
Shopping for compost and seed today time to start, better late than lose everything by being too early.

Frank.

04/04/2013 at 23:34

Seemed cooler here today, we didn't get any wind, Frank. It's not as cold this evening either so am thinking it's nearly time to get the spuds planted out.  

Came home with afew extra hours of daylight left so watered plants in GH. Haven't bought any new multi purpose compost yet was waiting to hear the verdict from others but am tempted this year to get the big bags instead of a load of grow bags.   

05/04/2013 at 17:15

Cornwall.

Yesterday, Thurs. supposedly the first warmer day was freezing! I only lasted in the garden for 10 mins. Today, again brilliant sunshine but still very cold. Am now building a bonfire with dead weed tops etc. The pond is not thawing until mid day.

I buy my JI No 2 seed compost in multiples of threes, £12.00 for 3, I keep an open one in the conservatory to keep it at room temp. for sowing and potting on. I have tried all sorts of different grow bags and cheaper composts but it has ended up a false economy.

05/04/2013 at 20:08
JG - I'm down to Cornwall two weeks today for a reunion in the castle where I was born, funnily enough, Pentillie near Saltash! I guarantee the weather will be warm and sunny that weekend. Downside will be all the jobs I should be doing in the garden and allotment at home! Some of us are never happy, eh?
05/04/2013 at 20:13

Hi all ,another mild sunny day in Drogheda got my fist early's in today Red duke of york, no rain forecast till next week

Derek

05/04/2013 at 21:39
Today was fantastic here in NG5! Still a chill in the wind but there were many moments when the wind abated and you could really feel the Sun's warmth! Was down to one layer of fleece so almost tropical, eh? Stayed out until 20:00 digging a 2 foot deep trench to continue burying an armoured cable under a newish border that needs planting up. Completed about 15ft today and dead chuffed as I'm now about 2/3rds the way down the length of the garden (165 ft). This has been a satisfying but back braking work of progress off and on for the past 3 years. Could have the cable down to the hose by year end ready for connection and lighting next year Phew!

Hope everybody else had a rewarding, warm and enjoyable day! Here's to the weekend folks!

Rgds Adam
05/04/2013 at 22:07

Lots of white cloud here in the NW, little sun but although it went cool this evening it wasn't as cold as usual.

JD - I'm, beginning to think lots of grow bags is false economy, so am going to opt for a 3 for 2 offer this year, just haven't decided which to get.

Adam- think you should have a lighting up party when the last of the cable is laid.

05/04/2013 at 22:33
Good idea Zoomer! I was looking to complete last year however the weather was so bad I only completed about 5 ft throughout the whole 12 months. The remainder should be fairly routine as I can run the cable under a path I'm planning on laying through the lawn. It's all good exercise which I very much need!! I'll be sort of sad when it's finished as I like a good 'project' on the go! Mind you....... I'm sure I'll find another challenge to occupy my time and give me a work out
06/04/2013 at 11:47

Stockton on Tees, cool part cloud part sun.
Daf's still closed up. Primroses still in full bloom, Pansies undecided and I do not blame them.
No snow drops as yet, crocus vanished although we have swathes of them along the roadsides all still got their heads down, the herbs are OK and showing some growth they are sheltered from the wind a wall behind them and a sunny dry spot.
Little glimmers of hope and I got three bags of Compost brought to me today £10 for three so not expecting too much but then I mix it.

Frank.

06/04/2013 at 11:49

The sun is out but it is still so cold. Now have a cold/lurgy so staying indoors and kniting and catching up with you lot. Theres always so much going on.

06/04/2013 at 23:20
Lovely,warm sunny day, perfect spring weather. Planted peas and beetroot at the allotment, Lady Christl early potatoes tomorrow, then if still nice, may creosote the shed and compost bins. So much catching up to do, so I think the forums will have to go on hold until the autumn. Hope the warmer weather reaches you all ( and lasts!)
06/04/2013 at 23:38

Lovely day here, in the NW. 

Aintree in Liverpool was baked in sunshine.

07/04/2013 at 11:09

Zoomer, Aintree, are you sure you got the right day, Ladies day was Friday??

Stockton on Tees bright sunshine and WARM? windows open to let cooking smells out and fresh air in, I am in short sleeves again and as you can see I am on this machine between cooking so Gardening this afternoon.

Frank.