London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
27/05/2012 at 14:31

It was lovely this morning, with bright sunshine.  But it has gradually clouded over - thin and wispy at first, and now quite a significant cover.  The temperature has dropped and we may be in for some rain (and a thunderstorm or two, if the weather gurus are to be believed).

I now have no excuse about planting out my plants "because it's too hot", although a generous lunchtime roast (Exmoor lamb, with garlic and rosemary) and a glass of wine is sending me to sleep!  Perhaps tomorrow . . . . . . . . . .     

27/05/2012 at 14:36

Hot here again in North Yorks. Plants have to go out, though - they're wilting too fast in their cells.

27/05/2012 at 17:56

Wow what a scorcher of a weekend!!!! Spent the day at the allotment weeding yesterday and forgot to put suntan lotion on the back of my legs. (That's what happens on the rare occasion of me putting shorts on!?) Red hot legs!!!

Got all the weeding done and planted a few bits in etc.  Had a very purposeful day.  Tomatoes, courgettes and pumpkins all in.  Planted a few bedding plants too.  Very tired, blistered and sore. 

Today had a day off and went shopping instead for a few summer essentials.  What's the betting that the weather changes!!

27/05/2012 at 19:28

Glorious sunshine again in Kent, brisk breeze but that's a good thing. Slightly worried about lack of bumble bees in my garden, I hope they are still around, just busy catching up after the terrible spring.

27/05/2012 at 21:33

Baking hot again with no breeze, it was so hot the bird bath nearly dried up. I get the sun from dawn to dusk, never thought I'd say this but was glad of the 8ft high fence, not nice neighbour built several years ago, it gave some shade to  a new flower bed, at least till mid morning.

Don't usually notice bumble bee's, probably because I don't normally get any but there were a couple this evening, they arrived with the birds just as the sun was going down.    

28/05/2012 at 12:01

Teesside, the sun was lighting everything up through the east windows at 06:00 ack emma this morning, now it is belting through the south windows and is hot hot hot.
The washing is dry on the line just letting it blow a bit, not too much breeze but enough.
House work done so into the garden after a sandwich.

Frank.

28/05/2012 at 12:26

Hot again, but I'm working

28/05/2012 at 13:42

I Had to give up and go inside, it was just too hot with not a single breath of breeze. I put the table umbrella up and it was still too hot to sit.
Looking around I have a Jubilee garden, blue bells, White Deutzia, and red Pelargoniums plus an old deep red Peony among the golds yellows and orange that abound, I love old fashioned Marigolds so plenty around.

Frank.

28/05/2012 at 13:48

Very warm and sunny - but not too hot, thank goodness.  Am getting a lot of my plants in the soil at last - just hope that they are all ok, since they've been held back a bit in cells and pots.

Last year I planted out Cobea Scandens in mid-May.  If you remember, it was a very cool summer and the plants turned purple and sulked.  Come the later warmth, they grew like Jack's beanstalk, and carried on flowering till the end of October.  They would have continued till Christmas, but I had to take them out and clear the garden.  I'm now wondering how they'll perform this year!

28/05/2012 at 20:32

I was in the garden this morning at 9.30 putting some Weed n Feed on the grass seemed as if it was going to be a lot cooler but by lunch time it was 25.9c the hottest yet so needless to say I've spent most of the day sitting in the sun topping up my tan,  now it's 13.8c and dropping like a stone,  the sky looks full of hell and the mist/fog is rolling in what a difference,  it was still lovely at 5.30 when I was out with the dog then by the time the new and local news had been on it all changed,  think I've just had Summer

28/05/2012 at 22:29

More of the same here, roasting hot, with no breeze. I was woken at 5am by birds singing outside the bedroom window what a noise - waves a fist couldn't get back to sleep so was up at 6am with the alarm and by 7am was sat in the garden having a cuppa, admiring the estate and reading GW mag before work 

28/05/2012 at 23:25

And that morning cup of tea in the warm sunshine in the open air tastes like ambrosia, Zoomer.  I can remember the treat of having my breakfast in the garden when I was a kid - it always seemed to taste so much better that eating it boringly indoors!

29/05/2012 at 09:54

Teesside has a sea mist this morning, the sun is trying to burn it off as it is getting brighter.
It was a warm night and we could have had that first cup of tea in the garden but did not, I did not open the greenhouse as I normally would, the Tom's want some warmth, so breakfast in the conservatory with the doors open.
Looking across the valley to the Cleveland Hills it is a dark haze, you cannot see any features, "Rain" may be getting some of her namesake.

Frank.

29/05/2012 at 10:05

South coast beautiful sunshine with a few clouds. Girlie on the local radio reckons we will get rain this afternoon. If it does it will save me going to allotment to water.I shall end up with muscles like Popeye keep heaving wateing cans of water to and fro. Better than fat arms i guess.

29/05/2012 at 10:22

Another beautiful day in the Basque Country (that's 6 in a row!) Not too hot, about 26ºC with a light breeze.

29/05/2012 at 13:32

Warm and sunny, but with a bit more cloud than yesterday.  We have an outside chance of a shower - but we'll probably miss it.  Out with the hose again!  Some of the plants are gasping - and the ground is very, very dry.

29/05/2012 at 14:14

Kent has been glorious sunshine all morning but its clouding over this afternoon and might even rain, or not.

I don't mind the rain, just so long as we actually have days of sunshine to go with it.

29/05/2012 at 14:49

E Dorset same as Kent, then.

I would like rainy nights and sunny days, if that can be arranged, please.

29/05/2012 at 15:00

@FloBear, exactly.

29/05/2012 at 18:04

still scorching here.. even perennials are wilting here now.. must admit i put the long handed shower head on the hose pipe and watered tonight.. blooming hard work carrying water cans up top of garden and back.. poor arm was sooooo complaining last night.