London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
14/06/2012 at 09:38

The vagaries of weather in our neck of the woods always amazes me, My side of the Tees is cloudy although dry and there is a cusp of clear sky from the Coast over the south end of the valley and the hills, "Rain" must be getting some sun.
Both lawns are cut and bagged up for the green waste today, far too much to feed into the compost though some does get mixed in.
The torch is now travelling from the Scottish border down through our area this week so I expect rain, it will wash the Olympic rings on the Tyne bridge, some one called Grills is going to jump off with the torch, they do tell me you cannot blow the flame out but that is extreme!!

Frank.

14/06/2012 at 12:03

Morning Frank.

Sun & breezy today here in my bit of Manchester. Washing flapping & I've watered in the greenhouse, which is still in part shade for a bit.

I've got a hospital appointment, so no chance to garden today!

More signs of hedgehog visiting the garden- slug population seems untouched! J.

14/06/2012 at 12:27

Hello Joe, hope all is well with the appointment>
You hedge hogs like mine probably have a bed in your garden and eat elsewhere, I watch mine trundle down the garden and over the road sorting everyone else's slugs out.
I thought of putting up a very low notice saying breakfast included in bed and board but not sure they can read without glasses.

Frank.

14/06/2012 at 13:44

It's started to rain in the past half-an-hour and the pundits say it's the start of 48hours-worth. Sorry folks - but we'll be sharing our south west largesse with the rest of you before long.

Hedgehogs?  Haven't seen (or heard) one for ages.  Or badger, who used the leat at the end of the garden as a personal highway (with, at one time, its very own motorway service station aka the veg patch with badger-friendly sweet corn ).  Just have to make do with the mice that eat my seeds - and the birds ditto.  I don't mind the latter though.

14/06/2012 at 13:52
Nice morning here in Bristol but very windy. Clouded over now and looks like rain. Bought some more plants yesterday so spent the morning planting an alstromeria,4 cosmos to fill a few gaps and a freesia. Never grown freesias before so hope it takes ok. Smells wonderful. Also bought a day lily and a white scabious, but still deciding where to put them.
14/06/2012 at 14:01

Batten down the hatches, then, Lorelei - this weather is moving up the Bristol Channel! 

I tried freesias once, with limited success, so I hope yours do well.  Likewise a scabious, which decided not to like me, and turned up its toes in no time at all.  Oh, well - success wouldn't be so sweet if it was always assured, would it? 

14/06/2012 at 15:03

In my neck of the woods Freesia are a greenhouse plant, I think you can grow them outside in a warm sheltered spot in the far South, probably not this year though.
My wife loved them so it was my job to keep them not too hot never too cold free draining yet well watered although not at first, they were labour intensive but the smile I got worth the work needed.
Scabious love a sunny site well drained fertile soil and if you cut them back after flowering will come again.
Still no rain on the Tees in fact it is brightening. just had a phone call, be on parade Sunday for lunch or else? fathers day or something, who invented all these days I ask.

14/06/2012 at 16:20

No sunshine for me today Frank just wall to wall cloud and a chilly wind,  did manage to get to a tropical 16.3c in the garden,  managed to get the back grass cut just in case it does decide to rain over the next few days,  when oh when will the Summer start.

14/06/2012 at 16:22
Had some rain and more to come I'm sure by the look of the sky. Hatches battened !
The label on the freesias said they were now easier to grow than they were, so fingers crossed. I have put them in a pot so could put them somewhere warmer over winter if I had to. I had freesias asmy wedding bouquet a long time ago and have always loved them. Will let you know How they fair.
I have a pink scabious which is flowering lovely but never grown a white one. Looksa a bit more robust than the pink one. Will have to find a home for it soon. Impulse buys !!!!!
14/06/2012 at 16:25
Father Day etc.. Bah, humbug my hubby says Palaisglide
14/06/2012 at 16:38

Father's Day - just another excuse for the greetings card industry to get us to buy more cards, and for sales of aftershave etc to get a bit of a boost beyond the Christmas season!

Freesias are one of my favourite flowers, too, so I'll be interested in any feedback Lorelei (Siren of the Bristol Channel? ).  I would happily give them another go, as it were.

Rain still threatening to get heavy here - but it just spatters down, lightens up a bit, and then goes greyer.  According to the lunchtime forecast, we should be sitting under a big blue blanket by now.

14/06/2012 at 16:51

Well, we had a lovely breezy morning here, sunny with lots of cloud cover.  Now it's gone very dark, the wind is picking up and it's looking very dismal outside.  According to radio 2 this morning, we're in for a month's worth of rain in the next 3 days.  I really hope not, my son is having his jubilee 'street party' at school tomorrow, I'd hate for it to rain.  It probably will though, I've got some beans and squash that need planting out over the weekend, and hubby has (finally!) agreed to put up some more hanging basket brackets and help me hang them (I'm slightly disabled and can't lift the flipping things very far now they're full!)

14/06/2012 at 17:11
Some squalls here, sky looking ominous, tempest forecast for later on. But at least it will be coming from the SE, not NW like last week's, so maybe the foxgloves etc will be be blown upright...
A friend turned up who's been in southern France for the last month. He was enchanted by the green chaos...and I must admit, it does look like the Secret Garden at the moment. He took some pics which I'll post later. Good news is that I should be picking broad beans and courgettes soon...
14/06/2012 at 23:09
Rainjustlearning wrote (see)

No sunshine for me today Frank just wall to wall cloud and a chilly wind,  did manage to get to a tropical 16.3c in the garden,  managed to get the back grass cut just in case it does decide to rain over the next few days,  when oh when will the Summer start.

We had a lovely sunny evening Rain, it was windy but sitting in the conservatory watching the sunset it was warm enough. It does feel much cooler now at 22:00 pm better put a warm brick in my jimjams, not forgetting to take it out before retiring of course.

Frank.

15/06/2012 at 09:31

Wet and dismal this morning - so what's new?

15/06/2012 at 10:06
Alina W wrote (see)

Wet and dismal this morning - so what's new?

What is new Alina is "it is warm rain" if asked "how does my garden grow by Daisy" I would reply "like a jungle", the plants are shooting up where I never put any probably discarded seed that lay dormant.
There has been heavy overnight rain on Teesside much expected as my beloved Peony's are coming into bloom and although well staked it got a couple. The Foxgloves are down but that would be the high wind last evening. As for the rest I will need a machete to cut my way through soon. Plants love warm wet weather.

Frank.

15/06/2012 at 10:14

Frank, I think you've been having a little nip again to warm you up

Rain here is chilly and wet at 13C - definitely not warm! But - the grass was done last week, so I no longer need fear the wildlife lurking in it

15/06/2012 at 14:52

Great.  It's just started to Thunder, it's too dark to see the letters on my laptop's keyboard, and now I've got to extract myself from a GSD that HATES thunder to go and pick up a small boy from Nursery.  The heavens have just opened up too, so drowned rat time......

15/06/2012 at 15:15

Today- rather windy but nowhere near as a bad as last weekend,bit of sun bit of cloud and an shower or two this morning..

Looking better for next week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487

15/06/2012 at 15:30

Like Geoff's weather.

Hoping for better tomorrow as involved in Dog Show Fun Day and putting up gazebos in windy conditions is no fun.