London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
15/06/2012 at 16:32

Well, that was fun....been and picked up the boy, actually went and picked up my brother-in-law and used the car to pick my son and nephew up from nursery.  Now I know why I normally walk to school and pick him up, the number of cars trying to find a parking space on the school's doorstep was amazing - lots of women (and some men too), with a vacant expression, turning to anger when they found no spaces, God forbid they had to use their legs!!  I have ME and brother in law suffers from arthritis, but we normally walk the boys to school, I can't believe how LAZY some parents are!!

15/06/2012 at 16:33

Oh, and by the way, it's now cleared up a lot and the sun is trying to shine, the thunderstorm has rumbled off to soak someone else (and there was some hail in it, too, ouch!)

15/06/2012 at 16:41
15/06/2012 at 22:29

It's been raining but the wind has died down and there's been no hail, feel sorry for those in Texas. 

Plants in the GH are begining to suffer without any sun, the up and down temps haven't been kind, especially to my aubergine plants, was so looking forward to making mussaka with them. Apart from the toms, and some of them have leaf curl, everything else has slowed right down. I'm hoping for alittle of Southampton's sunshine next week

15/06/2012 at 22:43
Will keep you informed about the freesias Shrinking Violet. I planted an Acanthus last year that I bought from a church sale. It has thrown up 4 flower buds and I was really pleased. Now I have read they are very invasive and hard to get rid of !! Anyone had any problems with these ?
16/06/2012 at 13:42

Teesside had rain early followed by a long bright spell which is getting a bit dampish now. Still it stayed fine for the Trooping of the Colour which brought back memories, I enjoyed the march off music Geordy hinney, the keel row, Cushy Butterfield, Blaydon races and the Lambton worm among others played.
we get the torch most of the day tomorrow as it goes around the area after leaving Durham, after its leap off the Tyne Bridge yesterday it must be getting a bit battered, probably a bit like Cushy Butterfield her self.
Frank.

16/06/2012 at 14:08

The rain appears to be moving away, as getting brighter, but the wind is still strong in Manchester. Only about 13-14C out there, no wonder OH just gone to find a 2cnd jumper!

Loreli- I've got a 'returning' Acanthus that doesnt want to flower. Yes, bits are appearing not quite where I'd expect them, or want, but easily pulled up when spotted. J.

16/06/2012 at 17:33

Noooo, the rain has REALLY returned!

OH wants a picnic tomorrow.....!! J.

16/06/2012 at 17:38

Very windy, here in Sheffield, and everytime I get my coat on, it starts to rain again!

16/06/2012 at 17:39
Dry but windy this morning, didn't deter me and Bloke going out for a 30 mile burn on the bike for breakfast. Pottered round Axminster afterwards, looked in at Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall's cafe/ deli but much too full to even think of trying anything. Then went to Lyme Regis where the wind was screaming, spray washing over the Cobb and rain lashing down. Felt so sorry for the holidaymakers! Fortunately dried up again on the way home. Now relaxing watching ET on the telly, have hankies at the ready!
16/06/2012 at 19:28

Rained this morning.  Rained at mid-day.  Rained 'til about 3pm.  Short respite.  Rained at 4pm.  Still raining. 

16/06/2012 at 20:28

rain on and off all day ,plus windy not the best day for gardering south staffordshire

16/06/2012 at 20:46
Same here. Rain rain and more rain and very windy. I can almost see the grass and the weeds growing. Why do slugs not eat my weeds ?
16/06/2012 at 21:32

Rained all day, at times, torrential. 

16/06/2012 at 23:00

That's the great conundrum of life, Lorelei.  Slugs and snails ignore the weeds (or so it seems) but will feast on our beloved, nurtured plants.  "C'mon guys," you can almost hear them saying, "Lettuce for lunch, delphiniums for tea and tender bean shoots for supper.  Tuck in - it all tastes so much better than weeds". 

I sometimes wonder why their mums didn't tell them to eat the proper greens, and not snack all day on quick-fix stuff.  Why isn't there a Jamie Oliver in the CrunchyandSlimey world?

17/06/2012 at 10:09

Fathers day? I have socks with pictures on, designer beer, chocolates, a bunch of new pens, I do a lot of writing and probably more when I go out to lunch today .
We have a mixed bag of weather up here in the North East as the Torch makes its way from Durham to us by a serpentine rout.
The weather front is straight along the coast and bright over the north sea although inland it is dull and cloudy. I can make out some of the features over the valley in "Rains" direction but it does look a bit like a plum duff mixture over her.
Oh well at least I do not have to cook the lunch I hope! one never knows with my lot.
Frank.

17/06/2012 at 15:08

Been dry and mostly sunny and the cold wind of yesterday has been sent elsewhere-there is a chance of rain tonight-again-then a promise of 3 summery days

-be still my beating heart

17/06/2012 at 15:27

Been preparing the GH for potentially 3 weeks away as I prepare to work at Wimbledon. Replaced all the gravel in my trays with capilliary matting and fixed up a big pot of water for each tray with a strip of matting going from the pot to the tray - hopefully it will help everything survive.  My neighbour will no doubt refill the pots for me every 4-5 days - I'd be lost without my lovely neighbours.  I've put straw down for my strawberries and by the time I turned round and back again my cat had made a nice bed on the straw!! Oh well, at least the berries were warm!  Lovely day here in Wiltshire; threatened with rain since I went out at 9am but it's held off and no awful wind like yesterday.

17/06/2012 at 15:30

Bright and sunny today although it is windy. Had treatment for my dodgy back yesterday so am sat in front of telly and catching up on emails. Hope the weather tomorrow is good so i can catch up. At least the water butts are full.

17/06/2012 at 16:36

We've had our picnic- inside! Daughter & me persuaded OH that just soooo wet yesterday we'd end up eating sat in the car, so he relented on having a trip out.

Spent some time this morning re-staking the poor flopped plants with all that rain & wind yesterday & managing to empty the 'saucers' beneath the rather big patio pots- just tilted the pots over to drain away the excess- no chance of lifting them off the saucers.

It's a bright & breezy day out there, washing flapping well. More of this please! J.