London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
14/07/2012 at 22:50
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

Might struggle to get camel do dar through customs Frank  and, having 'search me' stamped on my forehead, I'd find it a tad bit difficult to explain the contents of my suitcase.

After watching some of those customs programmes it seems people swallow it Zoomer!! Of course it would be wise to put it in a little plastic bag first otherwise you may grow green palm leaves instead of hair. Different, but could cause a few crashes on the M62 as you head to Teesside.

Frank.

15/07/2012 at 09:04

Dry here today and today being St Swithin's Day (if folklore is to be believed) it should be dry for the next 40 days & nights.

Well, as rain is forecast (again) after today, I think perhaps someone along the line may have got it wrong.

Should it have been if it's dry on St Swithin's Day, it will rain on every other day of the year?  

15/07/2012 at 09:29

David, you kick started my memory of history lessons long gone, it was called history back then and not folk law. The interest stayed with me all my life having lived through historical or should that be hysterical times.
Swithunus Escopus Bishop of Winchester reputed to have gone to Rome with king Arthur? no Euro-train then.
Was Sainted when his body was buried in Winchester after it was rebuilt, with a bit of luck he will change the weather today and we are having sunshine on Teesside, the fourth day in a row. The weather forecaster told us early in the week we would get one day of sun and more floods, wrong again, it did rain after tea last night but my sheets will be going on the line soon as the washer is done with them.
People say history matters not, then it comes back to belt us one and we never learn, if we did we would not be up to our necks in Afghanistan. Live and learn we do not.

Frank.

15/07/2012 at 09:40

Thanks for that, Frank, although it's bit 'coals to Newcastle' in my case, as I've always been a bit of a History buff meself......although I will admit to being mainly interested in the Tudor & Victorian eras.

Btw, I see folklore as being fiction in the main & history being well documented fact.

15/07/2012 at 10:46
David K wrote (see)

Thanks for that, Frank, although it's bit 'coals to Newcastle' in my case, as I've always been a bit of a History buff meself......although I will admit to being mainly interested in the Tudor & Victorian eras.

Btw, I see folklore as being fiction in the main & history being well documented fact.

With you there David although I was interested in the Persian Empire and early Greek, quite a lot of that is documented and some folk lore which when you consider a lot of the books written about those times came hundreds of years later as written down folk stories it makes you wonder, thank goodness for Archeology.
It drives me mad to read books written about the war by young researchers that get it all so wrong, we all have our crosses to bear.

Frank.

15/07/2012 at 14:34

I have news on the weather front-have now heard and read from 3 separate sources that come the weekend perhaps, just maybe, who knows -Summer is coming -according to my local forecast a week Tuesday-9 days time- it will be 26C-no guarantees and no refunds- usual t&c's apply

Break out the shorts,t-shirts, and bikinis.

15/07/2012 at 16:50

No rain so far today managed to potter in the garden as knee is still bad from falling over in the mud at allotment. Actually got the washing dry outside and cut the lawn. Think tomorrow is also going to be good but not crossing my fingers. So lovely to see the sunshine and have the backdoor open.

15/07/2012 at 18:35

Didn't know you wore a bikini geoff, any photos

15/07/2012 at 19:06

Seeing as you asked-

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/man-bikini-11.jpg

but is it me?

15/07/2012 at 19:10

that's where it went

15/07/2012 at 19:10

the weather today as been gorgeous, blue sky wispy clouds and sun shine, been great for getting out and mowing lawn and pottering.

15/07/2012 at 19:16

ooooh geoff what a vision.    I need a lie down after that. 

15/07/2012 at 19:20

so geoff...... is that a gold star you got for first prize in best bikini or a silver?

15/07/2012 at 19:35

I really hope not Geoff,   I  can't imagine that in spandex think I would regurgitate my meals for the past 6 months,  anyway,  the weather here has been lovely again,  plenty of sunshine and nice and warm again 17.5c,  the wind is picking up a bit now and there are some grey clouds rolling in from the West still quite warm at 15.8c and at long last the ground is drying out.

16/07/2012 at 13:33

Teesside at six this morning had lovely sunshine up to nine then  it clouded over, we had some light rain and now just dull.
We never got the storm yesterday it blew north, someone else got it and as I write it is getting brighter by the minute.
It better be sunny on Wednesday as we are getting the Queen to open the white water facility which will be the training ground for some of the Olympic teams, this Town has certainly changed since she came 35 years ago.

Frank.

16/07/2012 at 13:59

Well - I think I've got here at last!  It's taken ages to scroll through the thread ten pages at a time - either my computer or the site won't let me go directly to "view first unread post"

Anyway - yesterday was lovely and sunny with a good breeze, so perfect for getting holiday washing done and dusted, as it were.  Dead-headed lots of stuff, and it's beginning to look a bit tidier in the garden.  Didn't get lawn cut, though.  OH picked up a bug/food poisoning from the meal we ate out on the last night of the holiday on Friday!  So I had to devote some time to my Florence Nightingale act. 

Today, he's a bit better, but it's raining again, so no gardening, lawn is soaked and shaggy in need of a good trim. 

I saw the forecast for the end of the weekend, so that's a bit hopeful.  Geoff your photo reminds me, I must look out my bikini.  On second thoughts, maybe not  

16/07/2012 at 15:29

Florence Nightingale Posh, mine has to be by self administration these day, not quite the same though.
I thought if we do get any long term sun being only twenty minutes from beaches both sides of the Tees I would get my one piece prison striped costume that goes to the ankle out (modest I am) it would have to be a stick on droopy mustache though it may wash off with a big wave.
The lawn is cut blades up then blades down filled several bags for green-waste, it is lovely and green though, likes this warm damp weather. Had to get it done today as the grand children are expecting a full Sunday lunch served on Tuesday after school. I had to buy strawberries as mine are rubbish this year, I will start again with new plants next year.
give OH my condolances.

Frank.

16/07/2012 at 15:46

Today it started out dry, if dull in Peak District. Nipped into town, on shank's pony, & by my return had hood of waterproof up- just couldnt be bothered with another fight with brolly plus bags.

Drive back over the tops was wetter by the mile & here in W.Manchester its raining again, allbeit a bit less maybe?

Forecast for RHS day, wednesday, at Tatton show is awful! Waterproof trousers maybe? J.

16/07/2012 at 18:54

The mind boggles at your swimming cozzie, Frank! 

I think most people's soft fruit is ruined by this damp weather.  My strawberries are rubbish - though the raspberries are OK.  The canes only grew about 4' high though, because it was so dry - but the current wet weather has swelled the fruit.  Good crop - but hard to harvest with lots of lush greenery as well.

I hope your grandchildren realise how spoilt they are (in the best possible way) - Sunday roast on a Tuesday?  Lucky them!

The Peak District is one part of the country I have yet to visit properly Jo - what  have seen of it I know it's lovely.  Hard to tell your Peaks from your Exmoors in driving rain though!

I see that Tatton is being shown on BBC2 on Friday before GW.  Weather is said to be getting better by the end of the week.  Let's hope so.

16/07/2012 at 19:10

Remember this from 2 weeks ago

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/IMG_0478.jpg

Well take a look at it now !

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/IMG_0501.jpg

This is during a torrential down pour so needless to say the Water Board did the job good so hopefully no more floods,  oh and the sun has just come out  and there's blue sky enough to make a sailor 2 pair of trouser's