London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
30/07/2012 at 19:43

You may get some of our West weather this week Frank.

Today t'was wet early on, no surprise there then. 2 lots of washing tumbled, then it began to brighten up. By mid afternoon it was dry & bright here in Manchester & so it remains. Anyone watching NWest tonight will have seen the weather from Salford - bright blue, cloudless, sky & sun!

Need to get the washing back inside soon though. J.

30/07/2012 at 20:41

Dry and cool all day - but it's raining now.  Apparently this rain is moving across the country tonight.  One week of sunshine, and now it's "normal service is resumed"

30/07/2012 at 20:45
Had a rest from the allotment today as I was at Olympic Park in Stratford. Gorgeous day, walked miles and had a great time. Tomorrow,
weather permitting, will be a peaceful time in the garden.
30/07/2012 at 21:21

Can't believe my luck with the weather recently.....went to Wales last Thursday, taking in Llangollen, Betws-y-Coed & Llanberis Pass, the weather was gorgeous. Today I visited Bakewell & Carsington Water in the Peak District and again (apart from a light shower)  the weather was beautiful.

30/07/2012 at 21:42

Frank- thanks for sending the sun over, it rained in the night but has been nice and sunny all day, came home and was out in the garden clearing away vegs which needed harvesting or are just not going to do anything. Finally sowed more seeds.  

Frank - I've had trouble getting in a few times, usually when I've not entered via a notification. I forget my pass word which doesn't help

dmball-sounds like you had a nice day. 

30/07/2012 at 22:22

Well I have my first sweet pea today form growing them from seed myself and its the most beautiful deep purple. We've had torrential rain and the sun shining at the same time it was a weird light. Its cold here 12c but supposed to be dry tomorrow!

31/07/2012 at 11:07

Cherry ripe cherry ripe,ripe I cry
full and fair ones come and buy.
They should write a song about it, I have a load of cherry tomato's smiling at me in the GH this morning, late I admit but who cares when they taste so different.
Teesside weather today is sunny for now, blue sky North and East, we are told we will get rain from the West, they can keep it.
When I have the best of three falls with this board it is always a Sunday and it refuses to accept the correct password which I have written down to check and keeps asking me to re-enter!!!! I thought we lost the Gremlins with the war? "Yikes" who mentioned that???

Frank.

31/07/2012 at 14:03
Should have mentioned in my note yesterday that the wildflower beds at Stratford Olympic Park are superb, glorious - congratulations to the gardeners responsible.
31/07/2012 at 14:34

Indeed they are Dmball the difference being they are wild Flower meadows and not Hay meadows as we had along our ring roads up to this week. The Council followed Sarah Ravens programme and put in acres of wild meadow along the roads and parks then along came the grass cutters and treat it like lawn?
A hay meadow was cut with a scissor blade which left enough rough for insects and small animals to hide in plus seed to eat, you could play bowls on those area's now and as you can guess my missive to the council is flying towards them right now, they get it right then get it all wrong.
The cloud has arrived from the West although no rain this side of the Tees as yet, where is the North Sea breeze when we need it.

Frank.

31/07/2012 at 15:10

Lovely day here I was told this morning at 5am it was 2c here!!!! it was 4.1c when I got up at 6am just mad. Its now 20c and blue skies

31/07/2012 at 16:36

Wet first thing again here. Dry when had finished shopping & tip visit. Put some washing out just now to notice within 5mins that t'was raining a bit again. As usual, not at the front, but washing in back! About 16C only out there. J.

31/07/2012 at 18:54

Now really wet again J.

31/07/2012 at 20:48

Throwing it down when I got home tonight....when will it end!

So pleased I got alot done in the garden on Sunday and yesterday. Had the whole of my beetroot crop with tea tonight, they were ever so tasty, shame about the quantity though. On a more positive note at least there's lots of free space for autumn/Winter vegs, always wanted to try growing those but the beds were too full this time last year

01/08/2012 at 09:24

Rained here overnight, too, which is annoying as the lawn needs doing.

Wish we could have some sunshine for a change

01/08/2012 at 10:43

Blowing a gale here . I'm hoping it will keep the rain away. Don't think we've had a decent summer for at least 3 years.

01/08/2012 at 10:49

August 1st once the Halcyon days of summer to a lad who's activity's were all outside. Breakfast always cut yourself a slice of porridge whilst I cook your bacon egg (in summer) and fried bread, good job we did not have health and diet dictators back then.
Feed the pigs let the hens out check the ducks and geese had plenty of water and the day was mine, always sunny, ride the bike to the farm and have a busy exciting day. Home again tired but never hungry Aunt Mabel fed me her fresh baked bread home churned butter and wonderful hedgerow or orchard pies. And so passed the summer as we knew it, what happened I ask?
Teesside today has a covering of cloud from the West with bursts of sunshine, we are warned of heavy rain later, "you know I could get very mad at that lot t'other side o't Pennines" still it is warm.

Frank.

01/08/2012 at 10:51

Frank - you have a wonderful way with words . I can almost smell that bread.

01/08/2012 at 12:04
Yes, reminds me of days spent at my Uncle's farm in Somerset when I was a kid. Helping collect eggs, and his old mother making bread and churning butter, with me trying to 'help'! The smell remains with you for ever.
01/08/2012 at 13:27

Started off damp here in Manchester today, but has sort of dried up. Quite breezy so have risked putting some washing out. About 16-17C at the mo & getting a wee bit brighter.

Lawn is squelchy, so no chance to cut today. Have done some deadheading & wandered around planning which plants need to use for cuttings. J.

01/08/2012 at 14:50
jean riley wrote (see)

Frank - you have a wonderful way with words . I can almost smell that bread.

Thank you Jean and if you were around this way some time you could still smell it, if the family are coming for tea on Saturday's I knock up a batch of buns by hand, flour yeast water and salt is all it takes and not the fourteen or so additives in bought bread, it is all in the kneading and knocking down. The problem is they come through the door grab a bun and wuff it so by tea I am halving them.
Home churned butter has a taste all it own and Aunt Mabel made butter for all of us she had to add salt to preserve it but it did not last that long.
We never got the rain after all, I sat in my Daughters Garden in the village soaking up the sun whilst she made cheese and onion pie also fresh fruit muffins which we tucked into, a nice way to spend part of the afternoon, now back to work.

Frank.