London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
01/08/2012 at 21:28

Drove home today under a lovely blue sky but by 7.30 it was raining.

All this talk of food reminds me of my mothers home baking. As children we would argue over who's turn it was to scape out the mixing bowl, she made cakes to die for. In the summer we'd pick wild fruit - gooseberries, blackberries and go apple poaching, there was an orchard at the local vicarage.....if children did that now they'd end up on an ASBO.

02/08/2012 at 08:25

Lovely day - blue sky and everything calm after a windy day yesterday.

I was brought up by my gran who did a lot of baking -  on a memory trail now.

02/08/2012 at 09:06

Blue sky here in Cornwall but with the occasional heavy shower. Good growing weather but the weeds love it too.

My mam was a fantastic baker and cook too.  It was one of my best memories, blackberry picking, and still do it now.

02/08/2012 at 10:51

Lovely morning here in Lincolnshire, blue skies and a slight breeze, bound to alter though. I have just looked at the weather for next week as we are going to North Yorkshire for a few days, and guess what, Monday thunderstorms. It's a standing joke that in our neighbourhood, never take your holidays when the Greens are away, it's bound to rain.

02/08/2012 at 10:58

I love North Yorkshire it is so beautiful.  Hope the weather is good for you - mind you we have been there in November in the freezing and still enjoyed it, wrap up warm and lots of lovely walks. 

02/08/2012 at 11:13

Lovely blue sky at present, but it does keep clouding over and looking threatening - mixed as the forecasters say when they don't have a clue.  Wouldn't have their job for anything, damned if you do, and damned if you don't - as if they can change anything.

02/08/2012 at 12:55

Bookertoo, too many micro climates in this country, the weather forecast is general not personal, I look out of the windows each morning, with allround views you can see it all.
Just back from t'other side o'nt Tees a bit of an adventure as half the roads around Stockton are closed for the Stockton International Riverside Festival, yup we know how to let our hair down up here (if you have any that is). A lovely sunny morning, still is with rolling white cloud and blue sky between. The lawns are cut blades up then blades down with bags of grass for the green-waste, my compost bins are full.
North Yorkshire to me was Uncles sheep farm just out of Goathland, all the family went to pick the Billberries and the women would be in the kitchen bottling, making jam and pies, oh thos billberry pies, I loved them and a nice filler after walking the moors checking the sheep with my Uncle. I am drooling on the keyboard.

Frank.

02/08/2012 at 19:35

T'was damp first thing in Manchester. Then it brightened up & kept dry until a  short shower late afternoon. Plan to do a lawn cut tomorrow if it stays dry overnight.

Daughter drove back from East Manchester earlier where there was heavy rain!

A good evening now too. J.

02/08/2012 at 22:02

Sunshine and showers (and heavy showers at that!).  The month may begin with and A - but more like April than August!

Bilberries on Exmoor are known as Whortleberries, Frank - but they make pies and jams just as lovely - no matter what they are called!  I visited Goathland the other year when I stayed with my cousin in York and we had some wonderful days out.  The moors there are bleaker and more stark than we are used to - but beautiful, nonetheless.

02/08/2012 at 22:52

It was dry and sunny when I got home, so spent a few hours in the garden. 

The runner/french beans seem to be soldiering on. Picked the first of the runners at the weekend, me thinks the art is to pick them small. The French bean's now have flowers, later than the runners, but there are small pods appearing. They've been trained over an arch covering a path, was hoping for a canopy of leaves guess there's still time yet for side shoots.     

03/08/2012 at 00:28
Shrinking Violet wrote (s

Bilberries on Exmoor are known as Whortleberries, Frank - but they make pies and jams just as lovely - no matter what they are called!  I visited Goathland the other year when I stayed with my cousin in York and we had some wonderful days out.  The moors there are bleaker and more stark than we are used to - but beautiful, nonetheless.

Don't know about it being bleak SV when I read Lorna Doon in English as a lad Exmoor seemed very bleak to me. I suppose knowing the moors around Goathland as a lad made them a little like home to me, I do have happy memories of those times. We also visited relatives at Egton Bridge on the moors and of all places on leave in Port Said met a Lady I knew from Grosmont, she was WVS running the camp and I have pictures of us dancing, it is a small world.
The rain did not arrive so plenty of work got finished, the garden looks more like its old self before the deluge, I think I will need to tackle the Crocosmia with a flame thrower it is rampant.

Frank.

03/08/2012 at 08:47
Shrinking Violet wrote (see)

Sunshine and showers (and heavy showers at that!).  The month may begin with and A - but more like April than August!

Interestingly enough, SV, they are also called winberries locally.....although some peeps do call them billberries.

03/08/2012 at 10:04

The sky is blue
The suns out too
Sitting here wondering what to do
Its the garden
Better make a start.

The lawns are cut
The weeds are pulled
My bushes now have all been culled
Its the garden
Looking oh so smart.

Sung to Raining in my heart well we gardens always look on the bright side, they should write a song about it.
SO Teesside bright and clear, a few puff balls of white cloud, looking over to "Rains" Hills they have a golden glow on them so we know where "Rain" will be.

Bilberry's are what we called them and picked by the bucket load, never heard of them being called anything else in this area, but then we are a reet queer lot oop ere.

Frank.

03/08/2012 at 11:11

Why didnt I do the lawn yesterday?!

Twas brilliant sunshine early on today, & now! But in between we've had a really heavy shower, so everywhere soaked! Extension lead on wet grass not very sensible idea, so lawn cut wont get done, again. J.

03/08/2012 at 11:57

We've got a yellow warning here for heavy rain. Spent an hour this morning giving all the plants in tubs and the geraniums in the ground a feed  of phostrogen. Some of the geraniums in one part of the garden have yellowing leaves with green veins. Some sort of deficiency. I will look it up to try and find out a solution.

03/08/2012 at 12:17

Beautiful warm sunshine here in Lincoln. Just a gentle breeze, is this the calm before the storm?

Been chatting to neighbours and have got very little done in the garden, just a bit of deadheading. My OH has clipped a hedge just to tidy up and swept the patio.

03/08/2012 at 21:14

Bilberries, wineberries whortleberries - local names for a truly British delicacy.  Exmoor - Lorna Doone - well, Frank, there is many a place named after the Doones hereabout:  cafes, restaurants and campsites take the name, although I doubt if many of the patrons have ever heard of R.D. Blackmore! 

Mostly sunny and breezy today, with a few light showers.  Not quite summer as I would like it to be - but acceptable given some of the rubbish we've had to endure

03/08/2012 at 22:48

The things that stick in your memory Posh, Richard Doddridge Blackmore is well known for only one book Lorna Doone but he wrote quite a few novels and books of verse, he was a poet. As with times tables French Verbs and lists of historical happenings they never fade from your memory.
We read Lorna Doone and had to write up our thoughts as we worked through it, the idea of love overcoming all obstacles was not something a sports mad lad thought about although Miss English my English Teacher made me think about it hence the everlasting memory of the dark moors of Exmoor.
Our promising day turned into a cloud filled sky but no rain, it all passed over.
I dragged myself away from the Olympics to watch MD, like us all he has not had a good year and like him I am taking cuttings from the herbs though mine have not suffered as much as his, they are against a wall that gets a lot of sun and the plot quite dry so it is more like home to them.
The only Bilberry's we get these days come from Poland in Jars, more juice than berry but added to summer puddings you still get the flavour.

Frank.

03/08/2012 at 23:30

Well, Frank, as ever - I've learnt something.  I only ever knew (and never thought about) the author of Lorna Doone's initials rather than his Christian names before!  doubtless I shall be queen of the quiz team at some stage now!!

I, too, watched MD, which was a bit surreal, having had the most vivid dream about him and his garden last night!  But I had expected the 'lympics to supersede GW, and for once the Beeb have left well alone.  Wonders will never cease! 

I'll be taking cuttings of herbs.  And sowing some more parsley:  this year, the lovely little plug plants I had so lovingly raised in the spring seem to have succumbed to the poor weather.

03/08/2012 at 23:57
Shrinking Violet wrote (see)

Well, Frank, as ever - I've learnt something.  I only ever knew (and never thought about) the author of Lorna Doone's initials rather than his Christian names before!  doubtless I shall be queen of the quiz team at some stage now!!

Posh I would guess you were always Queen of the quiz team, over the years I have gathered you have learned a lot from the University of life. My Daughter Jan always grabs me in any quiz as she says my twisted brain has a cacophony of random facts rattling around it and when it come to history and dates I can still nail it.
Nice to be famous for something even a twisted brain must be to do with that there Higgs Bosun thingee they are looking for, I never found it when I was at Uni reading Atomic structures.

Frank.