London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
19/09/2012 at 10:41

Nr Lincoln.

Lovely day here after a cold star, bit breezy though,will dry the rest of the holiday washing.

Could do with some rain as the garden is very dry, we seem to have missed the showers.

Enjoy your day.

ChrisX

19/09/2012 at 14:39

we have lovely weather here with a chilly breeze.. we had rain other night.. 4 water cans worth.. garden still hard and dry.. my woodland garden has all wilted and dried up.. cant afford to keep hosing it as water meter goes round like the clappers.. really do need some rain down here..

hubby says thats why it is called "sunny Sandown".. which is great but some rain at night would be good.. didnt get a frost last night.. just as well didtn get tender plants in.

19/09/2012 at 20:01

Glorious sunshine today, but the breeze was still rather chilly.  Forecasters are having difficulty with the next few days - the remains of a hurricane aka low pressure may wander this far south and cause rain.  Or not. 

My GH toms this year are Italian plum variety - they didn't grow very tall, and only set a couple of trusses per plant.  Given the lack of Italian-like sunshine, I have to take that as a result!  Outdoor ever-faithful Gardeners' Delight cropping well.  As are the beefsteak Country Taste.  Already made lots of spicy chutney using homegrown chillies, and have dried and then frozen the plum tomatoes for sauce for pasta later on.  Waste not, want not!

19/09/2012 at 20:14

Cold, cloudy and wet here this evening although the box says sunny/clear 

Picked another bowlful of toms though from plants in the GH and 3 good sized aubergines. Peppers not looking good but there are at least two chilli plants ladened with mostly red fruit and one with lots of curly green chillies on  

20/09/2012 at 08:05

Alfy was tapping on my bedroom door at seven wanting his breakfast then to go out, he ran up the garden sniffed around realised it was a sea fret, wet and cold, so rushed back in, well head first into a towel to dry off, he thinks that one big game.
He watched from the kitchen as I put out all the green waste bags and the bins, one wetting was enough for him.
The box says heavy rain for Stockton but this is North Sea weather, grey cloud although high and the sea fret that can wet you through although seemingly light, so the lawns did not get cut.

Frank.

20/09/2012 at 09:28

Yet another wet day here in Manchester, although it's getting a wee bit brighter now..... No chance to do final lawn cut in the forseeable future either. My little strip of 'wildness' does actually look quite good with grasses waving in the wind. Shall continue it next year & see what happens.

Zoomer- you can always, if got space, bring the pepper plants inside to a sill or conservatory. I've never bothered to try & keep over a winter, but it is possible.     My tomatoes, on 2 plants & the tumblers, are ripening nicely this year, despite our lack of sun. 1 variety however is stubornly staying green, so shall investigate green tomato recipes soon. Dont need any more chutney! J.

20/09/2012 at 10:07

Nr Lincoln.

Raining here this morning, not that I'm complaining. The garden is bone dry, we have light soil so it doesn't hold on to any moisture.

Pleased I got all the holiday washing dry yesterday, now just the ironing to finish.

We have had the best crop from peppers, yellow and red for years, and the chilli has  a branch broken off under the weight of the fruit. I think I will have to dry some or freeze them, they are so hot you only need a little to give some flavour/ heat.

Jo4eyes - We had some green tomato jam  with a cream tea when we were away on holiday. It was different but nice. I thought I might have a go at making a small amount, recipes on internet.

How's the foot Frank, I hope it is better, you'll need to be on top form to walk Alfy.

Have a good day everyone.

ChrisX

20/09/2012 at 11:09

Hello Chris, foot has been OK for a while and even the knee is bearing up, I would think all those years of being very active are the main cause, self inflicted wounds as we called them in the army. Many top athletes end up with some form of arthritis as with all things you go with it.
Started the big clean up Pam will be back from Cyprus late Saturday night and you bet she will be round here on her broomstick to check on me. She may want lunch Sunday and I have not been to my local butchers yet. Tonight is chicken casserole and my trick is to add chorizo when frying it off, it adds that spicy touch to the leeks and celery.
Weather still a constant drizzle no heavy rain as predicted, the green waste have collected all my bags, not much left of the Autumn clean up apart from the lawns.

Frank.

20/09/2012 at 12:44

Hi Frank.

That chicken casserole sounds good, you seem to know your way around the kitchen. My hubby has both his knees replaced due to arthritis, so I know from his experience how painful it can be. It's stopped raining here and the sun is trying to put in an appearance, but we could do with a good day of rain.

ChrisX

20/09/2012 at 14:52

Quite heavy rain this morning then eased off about 12ish,  still wall to wall cloud and 15.8c in the garden,  so glad I managed to get the grass cut yesterday need to do the front but to wet now,  have had 2 Robbins in the garden the last few days,  do they know something we don'd,  saying that the Swifts and Swallows are still flitting around here but guess they will be going in the next week or so 

20/09/2012 at 15:37

Hello Rain, I watch the swifts as the midges rise off the fields they feed well around here.
We had sea fret which cleared early then the sun dried everything up so two lawns got cut, too late for the green waste though.
I have my feet up now, the casserole is in the oven with potato's on top a one dish meal ready in an hour or so so a laze after a busy day.

Frank.

20/09/2012 at 15:57

Hi Frank,  it's great where I take the dog for a walk as I disturb the midges from around the trees then all off a sudden the swifts and Swallows swoop down and almost plough into me it's great fun watching them diving and darting about will miss them when they go,  haven't heard or seen any Canada Geese coming back yet as I seem to be in their flight path,  ho hum it's raining again,  never mind at least it's still 15.1c in the garden ,  there were a few patches of blue earlier on,  not enough to make a sailor a pair of trousers though.

20/09/2012 at 21:02

The box was right today,heavy rain and very much on the chilly side.

Think I might do as you advise Jo and bring in a chilli plant and one of the pepper plants. The peppers  look to be developing to the right size but are stubbornly green.

Birds have been suprisingly absent here, there were lots in the spring and early summer but numbers have been dwindling since about mid August.

21/09/2012 at 09:07

Stockton heavy rain "err"  not quite. Sea fret would be the word and getting brighter from the South that's "Rains" side of the Tees, much darker to the North but travelling slowly towards the coast.
Well Rain Alfy likes the fields and woods around here, he chases the Ravens who each day take down a young bird and the Magpies strut across the fields like platoons of soldiers, it is interesting watching them.
We see the Canada Geese come and go each year usually alerted by the racket they make as they fly, a wonderful sight, lots of them land on the lake at Sedgefield Hardwick Hall, plenty of room for them there.
As I passed Norton Duck Pond yesterday it was full of ducks, they all leave the pond at dusk and wander into the Church Yard for the night, last one in shut the gate.

Frank.

21/09/2012 at 09:30

Nr Lincoln.

Good morning all.

Damp and overcast at the moment but not cold. Our weather thing says light rain, that will do for me, we could do with it, very dry down here in Lincolnshire.

I haven't seem any House Martins or Swallows for a couple of days, I think they have finally gone.

I love to see the geese and hear them as they fly over, as you say Frank a wonderful sight.

Have a good day.

ChrisX

21/09/2012 at 10:06

Big change in the weather cloudy, grey and no sun and its cold. Where did the summer go? Rain is forecast but no idea when it will arrive. A big thankyou to my neighbours who lit a bonfire whilst my eashing was still out as if i need more washing. Couldnt hang it out yesterday because the fire was still smoking.

21/09/2012 at 11:30

Truly Awful at the moment; raining hard. Dashed out to gather in some cherry tomatores and dashed in again. Loads to do in the garden; hoping for a dryer Saturday.

21/09/2012 at 12:10

No prizes for guessing the weather in Manchester this morning!

I too have nipped down to the greenhouse to pick some tomatoes & do some watering. The butt off the shed roof is overflowing! Oh well soon be time to empty it for the winter.

Refilled the bird feeder & checked, yes the lawn is 'squishy', so tha'll need a good couple of dry days before it gets its' final cut.

On a positive note- not too cold at night yet & my pricked out seedlings in the coldframe are looking very happy. J.

21/09/2012 at 12:17

My daughter is spending her 30th birthday at Alton Towers -oh to be young !  I hope the weather is better there.

I agree with jo4eyes it is not too cold at night yet, my peas are producing nicely in a tub just outside the back door.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. P

21/09/2012 at 12:31

Good morning all,

Not too bad in Cornwall. No rain for the last week so watering baskets and tubs to keep them going as long as possible. Autumn equinox tomorrow.

There are still a few swallows around. This years babies. They have shorter tail feathers. Their parents leave before them. how do the young ones know the way.

Frank you should write a book. You have such a way with words and an interesting life.