London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
30/09/2012 at 11:41

FloBear, having never played on the Albert Hall or ST Paul's organ I would not know although there is a 16 foot and an even smaller one, too loud too long,
Played a two manual pipe organ that had to be pumped by hand, the local Church is a four manual and my own electric, you just press buttons.
Jo, sounds much like a gas valve failure to me, get OH to give it a bang with something see if he can bump it free, (the silver cylinder on the control box).

Better go turn the roasties, they are in with an onion and clove of garlic to make the gravy.

Frank.

30/09/2012 at 11:46

It's dismal and wet in Blackpool too!

30/09/2012 at 11:48

Frank- it's an old, but previously very reliable, back boiler system, so 'banging' something isnt possible. T'was serviced literally 12mths ago. The company we use are a good local firm, but I know that getting spare parts etc is probably going to get difficult. OH & me have both just said, probably better to get a new, probably more efficient boiler now, before the cold weather really sets in. Joy!

30/09/2012 at 16:09

Dismal and wet in Halifax too! 

30/09/2012 at 16:53

Frank, my F.in Law's was a large electronic Hammond, quite an early model, I believe. They moved house a fair bit and the first question when viewing was 'How and where will the organ fit in?' He was the MD of quite a large local company, a very well-respected boss, and it always amused us to wonder what the workers would have said to see him in his dressing gown of a Sunday morning playing with such verve.

30/09/2012 at 18:03

Rain all day here in this part of the NW, not far from Blackpool. I've often driven down the coastal road into Lytham-St -Annes, past the dunes and wondered how they keep such lovely gardens despite the sea winds, salt and sand.

Jo- my old boiler despite being reliable eventually became obsolete for parts and you can bet your bottom dollar it will go when you need it most during winter. My brother installed mine many years ago when he was a 'plumber', he's now a 'heating engineer' and although he can issues safety certificates etc. advised me to get one intalled with BG, they aren't the cheapest but reasonably priced, check everything and provide long term garentee's. Best to replace before winter

Frank-me thinks you should enter competitions for your verses and poems

30/09/2012 at 18:53

dry and very windy today.. lost the duvet cover over the shed roof this morning.. after pegging it out it was that windy. cold even in the sun today.

30/09/2012 at 22:57

FloBear After trailing heavy upright piano's around when we moved Joan said enough sold it and bought me an accordion. We were making our final move and she said why not get an organ we have plenty of room so we looked. They tried to sell me a large Hammond with Rotary speakers, I was thinking that would keep the neighbours awake when I spotted a new Yamaha with all mod cons and that duly arrived.
We had some good old fashioned singalongs round that as we had some good parties, it got a bit old needing repairs so I did a swap with a very expensive Yamaha Clavinova which gives me organ sounds or piano even big band and as a Glen Miller fan I love that.
Zoomer competitions are not me, it amuses me to jot down what comes to mind if I started titivationg for a competition the joy would go out of it.
Cold and wet today so a bit of a lazy day and Countryfile.

Frank.

01/10/2012 at 09:21

Frank, I have a very expensive Yamaha Clavinova too! I bought it with money left to me by my Dad so it is always a reminder of him. I'm a very unskilled player and, since my piano teacher moved out of the area I haven't got around to finding another one but I love using it. Now it's October I'm starting on some 'easy Christmas Carols' in the hope that I will have something to offer when the festive season arrives.

Dank and drizzly here. My last sunflower is half open and turning towards where the sun should be!

01/10/2012 at 13:42

wet and misserable and dark.. has cleared up slightly since lunch time but still dark and breezy.

01/10/2012 at 13:57

FloBear, as with everything you have to get your head down and work at it, I did hours of Scales until I knew every note of every scale without thinking, Dad did not help he would bring a piece of music in and say half a crown when you can play that well. practice went out of the window half a crown was two and six, pictures fish supper and sweets and some left over. My music teacher had a very long pencil so I had very sore knuckles for not practicing.

It has been mixed today sunshine light showers and high winds, now the sun is out again and quite warm outside. The Fuschia's should be cut back although still filled with lovely flowers so I will wait for the frost.

Frank.

01/10/2012 at 17:50

Wise words, Frank :- )

01/10/2012 at 19:22

Wet again today did find the waterproofs today so ended up feeling like a boil in a bag meal rather than soaking wet. Looks like we will have rain all week. What fun

01/10/2012 at 22:26

Nr Lincoln.

Late posting today as I seem to have been really busy.

A mixed bag of weather, some sun, some showers and cloudy at times. About right for 1st October.

Had a very good day on Sunday. The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight gave us a wonderful display at RAF Coningsby.The Lancaster, hurricanes and spitfires flew right over our heads, very low. and the spitfires did a loop the loop display, The noise was terrific. Always brings a tear to my eye when I see them.. The weather was quite good, a bit overcast but dry.

Red Arrows back at RAF Scampton, so I will be seeing them practice from my kitchen window.

ChrisX

01/10/2012 at 22:35

Sorry - not been around much for the past few days:  but Saturday was lovely - very warm and breezy - perfect for doing the washing, and clearing the last of the outdoor tomatoes (the green trusses are tied in long strings, and are hung up to ripen).  Yesterday was less good, but today has been generally nice again, apart from the odd sharp shower.  Went for a walk along the beach, and, wouldn't you know it, the heavens opened when we were furthest away from any shelter.  Well - we could have dived under the cliff, but since it is crumbling and occasionally dropping large chunks we thought wet was better than squashed

01/10/2012 at 22:47
Same with me Chris, just love seeing the old planes. Last year I flew from Duxford to London, from Houses of Parliament down river and over the uncompleted Olympic Site, in 1930's Dragon Rapide - outstanding! What we'd all give for a flight in a Spitfire or Hurricane............oh well, dream on! I still take the occasional lesson just up the road, in a Cessna, and it's great fun flying in the area from Benson up to Aylesbury, then back down to the Thames, overflying my house then on over the allotment, seeing my friends down there working away, whilst I'm taking things easy 2000 feet up over their heads. Back to reality at the allotment tomorrow, and, of course it's as much fun as being in the air.........well, nearly!
02/10/2012 at 09:30

Looks loike it will be better today, so far only had 1 shower and now the sun is trying to come out. Waiting for chimney sweep at the mo. We have a wood burner its so cosy with that going and heats the whole house

02/10/2012 at 10:14

That wee boxer tells me Stockton light rain, well we have sunlight and blue sky, "Rain" lives ten miles away under the Hills and a big shiny sun is over her at this moment, once again we buck the trend but then we are never with the trend.
Do our own thing merchants up here, must be the Nordic blood.

Love watching old planes, flying in them another thing, had some nasty moments with them starting with a Rapide then a Dakota both wanting to stay on the ground, then a particularly nasty flight from Cyprus in a Brit, only just made it to Brize. Much prefered the ferry into Hamburg as we went in and out of Germany although saying that, had a couple of nasty moments in the Bay of Biscay on troopships. I just worked it out? I cannot win!!!

Frank.

02/10/2012 at 10:19

Nr Lincoln.

Morning folks.

Bright and rather chilly here this morning. Box says light rain but so far so good, stayed dry.

You have certainly had some interesting times Frank

ChrisX

02/10/2012 at 12:57

Very heavy rain (showers oh yes?) & windy in Manchester today.

Earlier it was sunny, but that didnt last. J.