Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
02/10/2012 at 13:35
lovetogarden wrote (see)

Nr Lincoln.

Morning folks.

You have certainly had some interesting times Frank

ChrisX

Depends on what you mean by interesting Chris, one of them in Lincoln was a bit close for comfort. We were doing Artillery spotting in an Auster single engine high wing plane taking off from a grassy field with a swathe cut in it for a runway. I had been up a while when the Pilot said he was tired and we came into a very bumpy landing. His Officer said he had to do one more run but had brought a relief for me so he took off, ten minutes later there was an explosion on the landing strip and both were killed.
The Rapide never made it up and when I saw I was sitting in a canvas seat inside what looked like cardboard sides i was happy about that.
The Dakota ran out of runway but it was dead flat desert so he made a turn and back to the start. Hang about lads we will clean the Carb's!! what? and they did take the covers off mess around and said right.
Off we went again, we had no side doors on as we were dropping supplies and gravel was flying in so we knew we were again off the runway but this time it staggered up. We did the drop got back and the Captain said "same time tomorrow lads" on your Nelly I managed to persuade the MT Sergeant it was my turn on the ration truck.
I managed to find trouble where ever I happened to be, is trouble interesting? depends how hard you have to clench your cheeks.
Been up the A66 and could see out over the Dales sunny and the Vale of York cloudy, coming back it was clear out over the coast.
Bought a big bargain bag of Daf's and one of Tulips at the GC, surprised to see the Christmas section is quite small this year, do they know something?

Frank.

02/10/2012 at 14:32

sandown isle of wight has been heavy and frequent showers today.. not what as forecast on my one here of local.. so not too happy.. as got only 1 hour outside to do stuff.. tomorrow is forecast rain all day so no chance then either.

02/10/2012 at 16:35
Frank, after learning of your experiences with some of the old piston-engined classics,perhaps I will go back to one of my early loves - boats......or do you have some bad moments with them? Maybe we should all stick to our gardens and allotments, which should be relatively safe - or has somebody got a tale or two to prove otherwise?
02/10/2012 at 17:40

Dmball, "err" did you say boats, well apart from pushing Chesil beach another mile out to sea when Stationed at Wyke Regis, they are not too bad.
A couple of bad periods in the Bay of Biscay, A Med storm best forgotten and a North Sea storm the worst I have ever seen that sent the ferry we were on from Hamburg nearly to Iceland as we rode it out.
Apart from that nothing to write home about.

Still a lovely day here though the sun is now going.

Frank.

02/10/2012 at 20:22

The box said light rain here in the NW - not - it's been relentless again this evening.

02/10/2012 at 20:26

Too right Zoomer & it's been blowing in from a different direction to normal as we dont usually hear it on our back windows. J.

02/10/2012 at 20:36

Don't know about your part of the NW Jo, but the tree's are losing their leaves here, a true sign autumn has arrived. I usually like autumn, there's something calming seeing the change of colour in the landscape but it seems to have happened over night.

03/10/2012 at 09:01

well yesterday got worse and worse.. by nightfall it was howling a hooley and throwing it down all night.. and today is not much better.. short heavy showers and strong winds..

03/10/2012 at 09:52

Stockton heavy rain says yon tha box, wrong, brilliant sunshine at 07:30 this morning mainly blue sky above with an odd drift of cloud now at 10:00 hours.
Have some bags of bulbs to plant up and may have a look around the nursery up the road, they do have good plants.

Frank.

03/10/2012 at 10:07

Nr Lincoln.

Beautiful morning here, the box says Sunny/clear, so they are right!

Cosmos and other annuals are going on the compost heap today, and I too have got bulbs to plant, mainly in pots as I have loads in the garden already.

Have a good day whatever you're up to.

ChrisX

03/10/2012 at 10:31

Its a lovely sunny morning here in Halifax, I have some Alium bulbs to sort out and I thought I would have a go at some paper white narcissi for xmas  They look lovely in the photo and video online. 

Margie

03/10/2012 at 10:37

Margie----

I bought some paperwhite last weekend after seeing MD planting them for Xmas, I bet the sales of them have shot up as a result.

ChrisX

03/10/2012 at 11:49

I hate the smell of paperwhites! Sorry.

Here in Manchester it's sunny, windy & lots of black clouds around. Hadnt any garden plans for today, bulbs will get done tomorrow.

Zoomer, yes Autumn is here. Am leaving the tomato plants in the greenhouse for a bit longer this year- too much else happening to get round to sorting them- but dont expect much more ripening of fruit, unless we get sun daily for a lot of days!

We now have heating again! Bliss. J.

03/10/2012 at 12:04

I'm another one who hates the smell of paperwhites! I do have some bulbs to plant in pots, though - like Jo, the garden is full

Am wondering how to weight my hyacinths - last year they climbed out of the pot. And no, the soil wasn't compacted, nor were they "screwed" into the surface.

Weather - undecided. Showers this morning, dry at the moment.

03/10/2012 at 12:27

So far weve only had sunshine but im sure when its time for me to go out it will rain. When i was in hospital my Dad and the Wicked Stepmother bought me in a bowl of hyacinths smelt lovely to start with but at night it was so overpowering i gad to put them outside. nice thought but hopefully never again

03/10/2012 at 12:36

I dont bother with indoor forced Hyacinths anymore either. I always felt guilty when they'd finished & needed disposal. I did over the yrs plant a lot out in the garden & they do reliably return every year, smaller than previous, but the smell outside is fine.

Yes the majority of my bulbs also going into pots. I cant remember where there are gaps, apart from the 'new' beds. So some will go in there direct, but with some netting protection because of the blooming squirrels around here. J.

03/10/2012 at 12:41

found a load of peanuts in their cases when i was clearing up in the garden and always finding small trees usually chesnuts all around the garden. My cats dont seem to chase them away perhaps they are too big better with a mouse.

03/10/2012 at 20:12

Another day of rain. It's made the day a lot shorter with dark clouds early evening.

I've bulbs still to plant in pots, the one's saved from last year went out in the garden last month mainly daffs and crocus. I've alliums, dwarf tulips and fritillary new for this year.

There are still lots of unripe toms in the GH, think I'll be leaving them a little whille longer too,I'm contemplating making green chutney or relish although relish doesn't seen to save as long as chutney . 

04/10/2012 at 11:32

The sun has got its hat on, hip, hip, hip hooray!

04/10/2012 at 11:42

The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out to play. Do de do, do de do :- )