London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 49 messages
11/01/2014 at 17:24

Its been a lovely sunny day here in Aberdeen, Cold, but sunny. Cleaned the car this morning, that was the boring bit, then went to the post office to send off the seeds I promised folk last week. After that a lovely drive with OH to our local garden centre at Inverurie to buy seed compost, some of my seeds for this year need sowing in January according to the packet.

Back home and the rest of the day washing seed trays and prop lids. Now hanging on the washing line, I kept singing to myself, 'Hang out your seed trays on the Seigfried Line and smile, smile, smile.

What has everyone been up to?

11/01/2014 at 17:31

Spent the whole day gardening.  the brambles in the spinney grew so well last year they hit the soil and rooted so I have to get them out now so I can see my snowdrops, a few of which are showing white buds.  My face was feeling it had caught the sun it was sunny all day with a brilliant blue wall to wall sky.  No wind either and hands did not feel cold even working.  What a respite from a month of stormy weather!

11/01/2014 at 17:36

Well, was hoping some of the seeds I have ordered on Sunday might have arrived. Alas, no . I am looking forward to the three new roses I ordered arriving shortly. I should probably start to clean all my pots and trays ready for the new season - can't wait!

What is the best way to clean pots? 

11/01/2014 at 18:42

hi Allium2

I just use hot water and washing up liquid. You need to wash away any fungal diseases that might be present but at the same time not leave anything in the pot to hurt the plants.

11/01/2014 at 20:04

I wash my pots with dilute Jayes Fluid. Kills everything. Leave them to drain down before restacking.

Spent the morning cleaning twigs, leaves and other debris from tarmac.

Sowed 18 Ash trees from home grown stock.

Took 3 buckets of spuds from pit and sorted into different sizes. Washed a bag for daughter going back to uni tomorrow.

Chopprd some wood for fire.

What a lovely bright, cold beautiful day after all the rain and wind. Tomorrow is promised to be wet again and driving to Galway ,2hour drive there and back. Supose I must pay for the good day today.

11/01/2014 at 20:26

...haven't washed a pot in my gardening life...not that I recommend this as a way forward...well, I do,..but then I can't recall when I last did any ironing either...

...don't garden mid-Dec - mid-Feb... I notice some bulbs coming up and I think a dead Camellia... it can wait.... I find reading a pleasure at this time of year.... that's what I've done today....   I hope others have been more productive...

11/01/2014 at 20:38

After tracking a garden order, I waited in half the morning for the delivery, then mid morning went to have my hair done leaving the neighbour on full alert for the delivery. Was ever so disappointed when it didn't arrive so contacted the delivery service, they want to charge an extra £12 to deliver on Saturday making delivery costs £17.99......and they could not give a day or time next week when they can deliver...not a happy bunny......have just e-mailed the company to say how disappointed I am, the order is on it's way back and hope this can be resolved as I really have enjoyed shopping with them.

On a more positive note it's been blue skies here in the NW. Received an e-mail to say I'm on an allotment list of only 5/6 people...and spoke to another and am being considering for a shared allotment...   

11/01/2014 at 21:00

Thanks for the advice Mark 1963 and No expert. Looks like washing all the pots and trays is next job on the list .

11/01/2014 at 21:07

Hi Zoomer44

Good news about the allotment. I might venture that way myself one day.

11/01/2014 at 21:13

I never wash pots unless they're totally mud covered and mostly they're not.

Plants grow in dirt. 

12/01/2014 at 13:09

Zoomer, please let us know which company is being so difficult about deliveries so the rest of us can avoid them.

12/01/2014 at 13:35

Agree with Artjak zoomer....name amd shame.

I buy from people I now trust.  Can track my deliveries so know exactly where they are and when I will receive them.  (got new supplier for plants due on Tues so,will know if this one is good.  However, an exchange of emails suggest excellence)

Day today?  Good this morning.  Wet and mild now.  

Got snowdrops in flower. 

12/01/2014 at 13:40

It's not the company, it's the deliver service they've used, very inflexible. I've ordered stuff from the company before and found them excellent for value and quality.   

Before I name and shame, was going to call the delivery company again on Monday when they open to ask again if they will leave said items in the GH but they may have already returned the order.. 

12/01/2014 at 15:21

Hi Zoomer, Has a feedback to the seed company, you might want to tell them their courier isn't playing ball with their customers.

AWB
12/01/2014 at 15:46

Spent the morning gathering bits and pieces for a stumperie. was inspired by garden revival the other evening.

waitrose has hellebores at £1.99 so ordered a few,probably small plugs but what the heck needed a plant purchase fix.

triip to Langttthornes Plantery a good selection of ferns next week.

12/01/2014 at 16:22

Walked dog in very heavy frost, my feet skidding on icy puddles, then sang in church choir, think we were all a bit off key during the anthem; church was so cold I thought my nose was going to fall off.

I was 'stumped' with that word stumperie, googled it and realised that in a previous garden had done a bit of stumperie, without knowing it was a branch of gardening; just wanted somewhere for ferns etc.

Checked the slightly heated g/h and found it did drop below 0 last night, but only just. I have this electric heater system that kicks in at 7c.

Harvested leeks, looked accusingly at mint in g/house, watered apricot tree in g/h.

Peas in cold frame surviving (they are suitable for Autumn planting).  Steamed leeks added green olives and vinaigrette, yum

12/01/2014 at 16:30

Went to the allotment for the first time this yr. Not a soul in sight, enjoyed the birds tweeting breathed in the fresh air and did some weeding with the robin following me around. Lovely morning and now to the day job-housework!

12/01/2014 at 22:20

You only have to think about gardening for the Robin to arrive. A lovely sight

Plants do grow in dirt Nut but it is the pests and nasties that you want to wash away.

12/01/2014 at 22:28

If I was growing delicate plants in a heated greenhouse I expect I'd might adopt an aseptic approach No expert. But I grow hardy plants and that have a tough life ahead of them. If they can't take it they may as well die young

12/01/2014 at 23:02

Thank god you are only talking about plants. That attitude prevailed about 100 years ago for poor volunteers!!!

1 to 20 of 49 messages