London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
10 messages
31/03/2014 at 18:42

Hello,

I was just wondering what everyone's favourite gardening books were?

I'm thinking off adding to my small collection, ideally something that is informative but includes pictures for a bit of reading on an evening.

At the moment I have a few of the 'Expert' series, RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, Monty's Gardening at Longmeadow' Alan Titchmarsh 'Secret Garden' and a couple of others full of ideas for container gardening.

It'd be lovely to hear what everyone else is reading or enjoys having a look through more than once.

31/03/2014 at 18:49

How does your garden grow, by Chris Beardshaw...and actually it is time I read it again! Tells us very clearly and simply how plants work and how to propagate them.

31/03/2014 at 18:55

Books by Christopher Lloyd ...the well tempered garden, for example.  Relaxing, informing and inspiring.  

31/03/2014 at 18:55

alys fowler. 

31/03/2014 at 18:56

Will look them up, thanks to the both of you  

31/03/2014 at 18:56
Love that one Artjak - also anything by Christopher Lloyd - if pictures are a most then Colour for adventurous gardeners - if you can cope without pictures then the well tempered gardener.

For general garden related ramblings i love the Morville books by Katherine Swift, or Anna Pavord the gentle gardener
31/03/2014 at 19:03

I tend to prefer them with pictures as I find it easier to learn if I can see the way something is done and plus you can see what something is meant to look like, if that makes any sense

31/03/2014 at 19:29

Favourite for being most useful is 'The Grower's Guide' from Caxton - given to me by my father.  Well thumbed, coffee stained, a bit mildewy, but full of good advice and photos of chaps who wear a tie and a knitted tank top to dig in the garden.  (Much as I remember my dad doing.)

31/03/2014 at 19:39

If its container gardening books your'e looking for I like Christine Walkden's no-nonsense container gardening, its crammed full of pictures and information and covers everything from flowers, vegetables and fruit with a section on unusual plants as well, and as it says it is full of no-nonsense information. It goes well with feet up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a piece of home made cake. 

31/03/2014 at 20:15

Thanks Ecobaby however I bought that book already a few weeks ago lol I've ordered the Chris Beardshaw one mentioned above and I am enjoying looking up the rest currently

email image
10 messages