Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's your Flower of the moment?

The garden season got off to a slow start, however we've had a week now of lots of sunshine here in the north east and things have come on a treat. The flowers in my garden are starting to make an appearence.

This has to be the flower of the moment in my garden. A friend gave me a few variety's a few years ago and this is the first time I've had flower spikes from them. Sadly the names on their tags have faded so don't know what they are called.

Whats yours?

• jamesburkejamesburke Posts: 53

HI Rodgy thats a beautyfull Iris one of my favourite plants

lots of my plants iris - poppies and peonie rose where going great until last nights heavy rain nearly all battered

JB

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Stunning Rodgy! Here's mine- just bought it today and posted on the Garden Gallery thread but not been able to identify it yet as no label and girls at nursery not sure- wasn't what  they thought anyway. Had one suggestion from Tim B. but darker than the one he mentioned.

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P6110835_zps7afce00e.jpg

Sibirica or water 'type' but haven't been able to find anything like it online yet. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 115

Aw thanks JB I have two othe iris about to flower, I waited two weeks for this to actually open so I guess another two weeks and my others will open its really exciting as I don't know what colour those are going to be. I have very small flower buds on my peonies this year image last year they where massive.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Sweet Rocket, lovely. Still waiting for most of my irises

Except for pseudocorus

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 115

FairyGirl - It looks like a flag iris that one, in my last pond I had the yellow variety which looked similar. That looks like velvet is it tall?

• The first flower appeared on my sweet peas yesterday, can't wait for them to really start so I can cut some and bring the beautiful smell indoors

• burhinusburhinus Posts: 58

Probably spelled incorrectly but Aqualegia, they are looking great at the moment and the bees are busy in them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes they are good aren't they. 

My laburnum is finally buzzing and that's giving greatpleasure. Loads of bees but can't see any honey bees.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Although it's been a cold, wet spring in Dordogne, sometimes colder and wetter than in England, the plants are still ahead here. My irises are now over, so are the aquilegias, apart from one I bought in England in April.
    My flowers of the moment are roses.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Can't remember it's name.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.