London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 40 of 87 messages
10/01/2013 at 18:09

This is less than a quarter, I guess of what I have. It is a strange shaped garden - a wedge but no side is the same length. it is also wide rather than long. It is creating a few problems in what to do.

10/01/2013 at 19:14

Dark and misty later so went for  pic of my project this year. The 2 tall willow stumps need to come down to where I can reach them to cut back every year or so. I don't do ladders. The one with the curve in it is a sycamore and by it a hawthorn. Not sure about the sycamore but they are good for some shelter.

Most of the brown growth is long grass and nettles, the bank on the right has ivy and bramble and is made of dumped rubbish. I want to keep all the ivy to the left of the path but not to the right.

Where shall I start?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17564.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

10/01/2013 at 19:44

Did I read somewhere that you had acres. Nut. That bank looks a real problem but would look beautiful with spring flowers. You probably know where to start but I would attack rubbish and brambles first. maybe strim so you can see wood from trees or rubbish from the brambles. Long, slow and very hard i think.

10/01/2013 at 20:08

2 acres yes. I'm hoping the body will stand it to clear the last corner, I'll clear enough rubbish to plant things but the bank is all rubbish, truck loads of it. The previous owner  wanted the low bits filled in and he didn't worry what filled them. I've got a Euonymus ebbingeii and a Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' well established at the top of the bank on the right. In our first few years I planted shrubs wherever I could get a fork in and we built the garden round them. Hasn't worked too badly over all. A few couldn't take it and some I didn't like but lots are still there. I'll take photos as I go so I can report in.

10/01/2013 at 23:10

OH put up a shed last spring on the cherry tree lawn. We painted it soft green and I planted some clematis to grow up it. But the lawn is getting worn leading up to it so I want to make a path and the grass is tatty round the bottom of it so I'm going to do a gravel border round it just below grass level so it can be mown. I've made beds in other years, I think there are enough and they all need maintaining. I have a bit over an acre so it's quite a bit of work.

Rosa Bjay your fairy dell is very pretty.

11/01/2013 at 11:46

Thank you lizzie. Most of it last year was annuals. Cosmos fills a space easily, i also grew something called cleome. Quite a novelty but again filled the holes. This year it will be more permanent planting.

The roses in another thread: one is on arch at entranceto the dell and the other is on the pergola.

11/01/2013 at 14:18

Hoping to not have any gaps but with 3 cats that like digging im fighting a losing battle. Need to keep up with the watering in the greenhouse. I also want to cahange things in the front garden, i hate mowing the lawn so will dig some bigger flower beds. All this depends on whether my back is ok if not i will sit and watch the butterflies

11/01/2013 at 16:01

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_4986_zps06c19398.jpg

The shed in January 2013. Needs tidying round the edges. Two more young dead looking clematis round the side, but they were nice last summer.

11/01/2013 at 19:46

I just want our garden to look good for our NGS Open Day in July

Pam LL x

11/01/2013 at 20:21

Bjay what a lot of hard work you have done in your garden well done, and nutcutlet you have quite a bit to do with that area,  I had lots of brambles and ivy in one area but removed all the ivy and bramble, hired a rotovator and cleared it ready for a vegetable area.

Sam, my garden is quite long like your garden, and narrow, but in some places even more as a garage takes over a bit, and a path waves through the middle; not sure what I am going to do in the garden -  maybe more planting, seed sowing and growing veg.

Busy- Lizzie what a nice shed, good colour

Sam, do you still have the tyres in your garden?  You could use them and make tyre planters.

11/01/2013 at 23:02

Pam, your garden is amazing it will look great in July. Just pray for a dry day.

Thank you Gardengirl.

11/01/2013 at 23:43
Popped into a local nursery today to see what they will be growing this year. It's an ambitious nursery with owners keen to grow new and exciting plants and our conversion was long and enthusiastic. I had a hand in suggesting plants to sell and will defo be buying plenty of plants in the spring...despite my resolution not to be tempted.......
12/01/2013 at 06:46

Thankyou Busy-Lizzie

Pam LL x

12/01/2013 at 09:33

Sam your garden has come on really well, love the sink and Kevin looks happy , Nutcutlet what a lovely dell, lots of work though, clearing it all is the key but if your anything like me I get impatient with the preperation and want it done 'now' lol.

Busy-Lizzie that is a lovely shed, my clematis have all died back but hopefully they will come back as good this year.

I really enjoy looking at pics of your gardens it gives so much inspiration and the before and afters are great. 

I have some hard landscaping to do this year, want to move and repair one of my sheds, create more privacy in the garden as we are mid terraced and overlooked.  its taken me a while to figure out how to work with the huge tree's in my relatively small garden and the slopes, we don't have a single level area in the whole garden, but this year, thanks to this forum and books I've been reading I think I've finally got it.

I'll post up some picture of my projects as I go and would love to see everyone elses, at least we can offer one another positive encouragment and advice and that is priceless

12/01/2013 at 09:38

Hello folks. A new poster here.

Last July I got an allotment down here on the Somerset Levels - I live in a flat with no garden, so I was very excited. This is the allotment when I took it on:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17583.jpg?width=250&height=350&mode=max

I managed to clear most of it, but then the rains came! The site is very near a river and the flood waters have been lapping at it for much of the intervening time. It's a clay soil, being river silt, so impossible to get on there. I am feeling very dispirited at the moment as the rain does not seem to want to stop! I work full time and live alone, so am a bit time poor, especially at this time of year with the dark evenings.

This is more or less how it is at the moment (my camera uses film, so I have a time delay while I get them developed - RIP Jessops):

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17584.jpg?width=268&height=350&mode=max

So this year I am planning to get something done - not entirely sure when I shall be able to get started, though. It appears to be raining again......sigh.

12/01/2013 at 09:44

What a year to start goldi. It can only get better now

12/01/2013 at 09:52

I do hope so, but the fields are still flooded down there.

12/01/2013 at 10:17

What a nice project Gold and welcome to the forum, there is lots of advice and help available here .

I too have the constraints of working full time and long hours, it is unfortunately a necessary evil for me and I miss my garden, I've sat doing nothing all morning after feeding the birds and watched Mr Blackbird tucking into his grapes, lovely lazy saturday mornings...  keep us posted with your progress, hopefully as Nutcutlet says we'll have a better gardening year this year

12/01/2013 at 10:24

Thanks for the welcome.

I am sitting in my flat drinking tea and watching the rain pour down outside, so I doubt whether I shall be allotmenteering today! Good weather forecast for tomorrow, but it really needs a fortnight at least to dry out down there - dig too deep and you hit the water table.

Some lovely garden projects in this thread - good luck with them all.

12/01/2013 at 10:30

Don't know what your plans are Gold but if you have a look in the 'potting shed' a lot of members here have been seed swapping , the price of stamp is much cheaper than a packet of seeds and members here have some lovely varities flowers and veg

21 to 40 of 87 messages