London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
8 messages
05/08/2012 at 09:36

Hi all, living in the north of england the weather has been horrible, and most of the seeds i have sown have eitheir died or just not botherd. So i was wandering do i have to stick to the packets on when to sow seeds or can re-sow, any help would be great.

05/08/2012 at 09:51

It has been a miserable year for seedlings. It will depend on the type of seeds, you can sow biennials now, hardy annuals can be sown in the autumn for early summer flowers. It is too late for tender plants but if you have a cold frame you could sow some hardy perennials for next year.

I have just sown some more lettuce hoping for a warm autumn. 

05/08/2012 at 10:22
Mandy2 wrote (see)

Hi all, living in the north of england the weather has been horrible, and most of the seeds i have sown have eitheir died or just not botherd. So i was wandering do i have to stick to the packets on when to sow seeds or can re-sow, any help would be great.

If you have sown seeds in the open ground that it has not been good-sometimes it is better to start them off in trays or modules

As for whether you can sow now-that depends on what it is you want to grow-so a bit more info would help?

05/08/2012 at 22:17
I have grown foxgloves, cosmos and lavatera recently and also ladybird poppies. But only the foxgloves will survive the winter. Winter salads here we come! I recommend tatsoi.
07/08/2012 at 10:43

sotongeoff i would like to grow flowers and veg, thanks everybody just gonna sow some seeds and see what happens cant be any worse then the previous ones.

07/08/2012 at 10:47

Mandy-before you do-can you say which ones-some may not get through the winter then you will be disappinted again

07/08/2012 at 13:07

Mandy,  why not try some purple sprouting brocoli? We have just planted seeds (in pots) for the spring.  They will be planted out when they are about a foot tall and hopefully will survive the winter.   

07/08/2012 at 17:13

Hi Mandy,can't help with the veg.

It does all depend on what you want to grow and the space you're going to grow them in.

I'm concentrating on biennials and perennials for next year. I've sown sweet williams, sweet rocket, wallflowers, larkspurs & delphiniums. Forget me nots are another easy seed to sow now, to have flowers next year.

I don't have much luck sowing directly, probably because I don't have the time, money or inclination to deal with all the pests- and in this weather there's plently of slugs and snails about

email image
8 messages