Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where have the April showers gone?

Ash before Oak we're in for a soak,

Oak before Ash we're in for a splash.

Down here on the Isle of Wight we have not had rain for almost a month and nothing significant forecast in the foreseeable future.

I have an Oak and an Ash tree and the Ash is in almost full leaf but the Oak has yet to get started!!

Does the Oak tree foretell a wet summer?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091
    madpenguin says:

Does the Oak tree foretell a wet summer?

See original post

No it records a dry winter and the saying is based on the tendency for UK weather to conform to the averages - dry winter, wet summer, average rainfall overall. Warm summer, lots of berries on the trees. So berries on the trees 'foretells' a cold winter - overall average temperature for the year.

Climate change has put the kibosh on most of the weather related sayings - we are consistently beating the averages in all sorts of ways.

We've not had rain for a month either and our oaks are generally all in leaf but the ash are barely breaking buds. I think that has more to do with ash die-back disease than any weather forecasting ability on the part of the trees.

Last edited: 23 April 2017 19:11:10

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Here in Norfolk the oaks are in full leaf but the ash tree buds are still black and sealed shut.  We've had no real rain for months now.  I'm watering most days and topping the pond up.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

We only got a sprinkle of a shower yesterday for the first time this month...  Its Global warming..

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The oak here is just coming into leaf.  There are huge cracks in the clay under it.  We need some rain soon.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I dunno.  last spring was so wet and miserable we were all moaning and this year it's dry and we're still moaning.

Gardeners!!  Never happier than when bemoaning the weather.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Things you'll never hear a farmer say

#3 "Can't complain"

It is an inconvenient time of year to have very low rainfall though - when young plants are trying to get going. The cold snap coming this week has caused a back log in my little polytunnel - things I was hoping would be at least in the sheltered 'hardening off' bit are still inside and I've run out of room.

Last time we had a very dry spring we then had a really cold wet summer so I'm hoping that pattern doesn't repeat. 

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I suppose we are lucky that we have had plenty of April showers but high winds have been drying out the soil and some watering has been necessary.

SW Scotland
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

I'm on the IW, too, Madpenguin. I don't remember a Spring as dry as this since 1989 when we moved to our present house. It was followed by a very dry summer and we didn't get back to normal until the winter.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

My understanding is that oak trees come into leaf in response to temperature, unlike the ash which responds to day length.  In Northumberland where I lived before moving to west Yorks, ash trees didn't leaf up until the end of May or first week in June.  The oaks were almost always out first there, as here, whatever weather followed.  And with climate change I suppose it's likely to be more and more the case.

The soil is still damp here in the Pennines...

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • AHRAHR Posts: 361

We have had one shower in the last 4 weeks in Suffolk