London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 80 messages
15/03/2013 at 15:44

im from wiltshire on the edge of the marlborough downs, very windy today and wet.

15/03/2013 at 16:12

I live in Newhaven- between Brighton and Eastbourne on the sunny south coast.

My 'garden' is 7m by 4.6m and fully paved. I grow everything in containers.

I do have a border 33cm by 285cm in front of the house. It is only 180cm from my front window to the pavement. So to make up for lack of space I have pots of flowers, troughs on side walls and along path and hanging baskets to get as many flowers in as possible.

15/03/2013 at 16:23

I live in Worthing so not from Brighton. I love my garden and wish the weather was a bit warmer so i could get out there. Back and front gardens arent big but i manage to grow all that i want and i do have an allotment, where i grow everthing i possibly can.

15/03/2013 at 16:28

Im north of Carlisle bordering bonny Scotland and Northumberland living amongst the remaining romans

Plot size not sure ...big enough, front, side and rear gardens. Pretty new still and not always the time to spend there. Trying to grow more and take cuttings so finding the forum a grand place for knowledge

15/03/2013 at 17:03
Lyn wrote (see)

I am from Devon, close  to Darmoor National park. 

I'm IN Dartmoor National Park! House is down a private alleyway so set well back from the street, no immediate neighbours. Garden's about 100' x 50' (guestimate I've never measured it!) and is walled. It's on different levels as there used to be a terrace of 5 1up 1down cottages in here, when they were demolished (just post WW2) they levelled the granite - it does have soil on top, but is very free draining. Over the years, I've become less interested in ornamantals and more interested in growing veg.

15/03/2013 at 19:07

I'd love a walled garden, figrat.  They enable you to grow a much wider range of stuff due to the microclimate they generate.  I'm in the midlands with a North-facing, hedged, back garden although I find I can grow most veg ok as it's quite long (about 100' I'd guess), so lots of it isn't shaded by the house. The main problem with being so far inland is that the winters tend to get that bit colder than nearer the coast, although I'd guess the height of Dartmoor gives you a similar climate. 

15/03/2013 at 19:16

I change my avatar every month,  so this one's for St Patrick's Day,  the next one will be Easter.

I'm from Marton in Middlesbrough,  have lived here since 2006,  it's a ground floor flat with a shared garden but as the lady that lives upstairs hasn't got a clue when it comes to gardening I sort of get free reign as to what I do with it,  I have the tools she just admires.

Lyn
15/03/2013 at 19:58
You've got me guessing now figrat I am near tavistock, are you on the opposite side by any chance?
15/03/2013 at 20:16

Hi all I live in Southampton and have a long back garden with lots of plants for the bee and butterflies. Have a bit for veg growing - few raised bed as I enjoy veg growing and sometimes I get squirrels visiting the garden.

15/03/2013 at 21:17

Just googled avatar, how do you add one. A link to a good site would help  

15/03/2013 at 21:23

Zoomer !!

You must get with the programme-you do it in your settings-choose a picture from your picture files or download one to it and use that-it is easy

15/03/2013 at 21:29

I'm from S Wales, too, Lovespoon. I have a smallish walled garden which I am attempting to fill to capacity with herbaceous perennials and climbers and get blossom for at least 11 months of the year, learning as I go. I'd love a big garden with a better outlook than just other houses, but I'm getting older, so maybe the one I have is enough for me. It is regularly trampled and pooed on by my two small dogs, which is a challenge.

15/03/2013 at 21:42
I am from Yorkshire. Geoff I will change my picture once I find out how to!! Live in a beautiful part of the world. ? Never go on holiday that advertises marvelous scenery. Is always a let down after here. Have lived in London and New Ash Green in kent.
15/03/2013 at 21:51

Is that North Yorkshire? I have a friend near Ripon. Love North Yorkshire, went to Harlow Carr last summer and a lovely garden in Helmsley.

15/03/2013 at 22:25

One of the reasons I change my avatar every month is so that I don't forget what to do Hard though finding fresh pictures

15/03/2013 at 22:28
Rain we have friends nr yarm
15/03/2013 at 22:53

I came from under a gooseberry bush......

15/03/2013 at 22:58
Goldionthelevels, that was careless......careless? Get it? Careless gooseberry variety. Ha ha... Ok! I'll get my coat
15/03/2013 at 23:40

im from paignton in devon near the sea on the durasic coast red soil,red sheep,and im pasty face cos o dont know how to do it.

16/03/2013 at 08:43
@Lyn - yes, the southern side. Have a sister in Gunnislake, so go to/ through Tavi quite often, it's a lovely drive, straight over the moor.
@ Chica - I used to live on Corbyn Head, know what you mean about the red sheep! Have heard there's a lot of interesting experimental gardening stuff going on at Paignton zoo, have you checked it out?
@ Bob the Gardener - yes, the walled garden makes a huge difference, especially since I had the ivy stripped off and the walls repointed ( they're made of granite and act like huge storage heaters, if we get any sun that is!). I'm not high on the moor, just on the southern edge, takes about 10 minutes to get out in the wild.
21 to 40 of 80 messages