London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
16 messages
05/11/2013 at 20:13

Hi

Can you please tell me when and where to use potash and nitrogen?

I'm I right in thinking that potash develops leaf and root and nitrogen develops flower and fruit?

05/11/2013 at 20:21

Nitrogen does the foliage, phosphate does the roots and potassium does the flowers/fruit, can be abreviated to NPK

05/11/2013 at 20:22

Depends what playoyou I want to feed and too when and what you put down

05/11/2013 at 20:25

Me thinks you may be slightly wrong. Nitrogen for green growth N, and potash for fruit and flowers K. Root development needs potassium P.

That gives N P K fertilizers. Any help to you?

05/11/2013 at 20:27

Sorry got my P and K mixed up.

05/11/2013 at 20:34

Oh yeah that'll be it haha, only wrote about it yesterday, my memory is terrible! Swear I've got dementia. But it still depends if we're talking lawns, or different genus of plants

05/11/2013 at 21:05

When and where to use potash and nitrogen depends on what you plan to grow

Nitrogen - promotes above ground growth and healthy foilage. Potash - helps promote flowering and the ripening of fruit and veg. Phosphate is for root growth.

FBB, bone meal and dried blood,are fertilisers and additions to compost...so...

Fish,bone and blood - FBB contains all three elements, I'd say it's a good all rounder and not used in huge quantities would say it's good for most things. There maybe someone along shortly to say I'm wrong.

Bone meal contains phosphate and nitogen - good for shrubs, roses, bulbs and strawberries.

Dried blood contains nitrogen, if growing veg it's good for leaf crops like lettuce, spinach and cabbage.

05/11/2013 at 21:48

Thanks everyone and thanks Zoomer for the detailed points. I do use FBB, so I fill I'm on the right track at least.

Weather permitting, I want to plant out some winter pansies at the weekend, do you think they would benefit from a drop of FBB?

05/11/2013 at 21:55

As foilage doesn't really grow in winter, you need to focus on the root growth and development, so you need something with high potassium levels and not so much of nitrogen and phosphorus 

05/11/2013 at 22:01

Fish blood and bone releases the nutrients at different rates. The dried blood is almost instant, the  fishmeal will release over a few weeks, and the bonemeal over a few months. I would not feed at all at this time of year. Apply FBB in the spring, either mixed with compost as a top dressing around existing plants ,or sprinkled and worked into the top few inches of soil, before new planting.  That should suffice for the season. Applying blood  or other fast release fertilisers now will result in soft leafy growth which will be easily damaged by cold weather/winds/frosts.

05/11/2013 at 22:05

for future posts and I do hope you post again, you should have said what you planned to plant

My explanation was a tab bit OTT. If you are planting pansies, I'd go for a bit of FBB in the hole if planting in the garden or mixed in with the compost if planting in a pot.

Plants adapt to the weather and will only take in water and nutrients which they need. At this time of year if they are meant to go dormant they will, that's why it's important not to over water because when we get the freezing weather the water in the soil freezes and damages roots.

05/11/2013 at 22:29

Our posts crossed figetbones. Slight difference of opinion but these thngs happen. 

What can I say, fidgetbones is a knowledgeable.

I'm happy to go with that advise.

05/11/2013 at 22:38

Thanks Zoomer and fidgetbones, I was just making a general enquiry about the use of potash and nitrogen, I should have made that clear. Its a question I have always been meaning to ask. Thanks for your help and tips. I'll print these all out and keep them for future ref.

06/11/2013 at 21:51

Thank you Zoomer44.I have never got my head round the difference between FBB and bonemeal.Was going to post a question but now I don't need to.Thank you so much.

07/11/2013 at 12:41

Just for info, those reading this may also like to read this that I wrote ages ago & keep on file:

"NPK - N= nitrogen P=phosphorous and K=potash, the three main food elements necessary for plant life. Basically, nitrogen is required for foliage growth, phosphorous for root growth and potash for growth of flowers and fruit.

Blood meal is a slaughter house by-product and is an excellent source of quickly available organic nitrogen, when used as a top dressing and watered in.

Blood meal is completely soluble and can be mixed with water and used as a liquid fertilizer.

Fish meal is a great natural fertilizer, high in phosphorous and high in organic nitrogen. Fish meal is quick acting, offering a sustained supply of nutrients.

Bone meal is used as a long-lasting source of phosphorous as well as low levels of nitrogen, potassium and calcium. The extremely slow availability of nutrients from bone meal makes it a very safe fertilizer, especially when planting of potting very young or new plants."

07/11/2013 at 23:53

Thank for the info. David.I will definitely keep it for future reference then I can use the right one at the right time instead of guessing.I am grateful for all the information I lean from the forum which I read all the time.Thank you again.

email image
16 messages