London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
101 to 120 of 322 messages
13/05/2013 at 21:10

http://goo.gl/maps/a2fX1 this one may be a bit too

zoomed in

13/05/2013 at 21:19

Thanks Blackest...yes it is a bit too zoomed in because unless you know the area it is sometimes difficult to guess where in the country the flag is stuck! 

Secondly can you advise where we can "store" the http..... etc. so as to get to it quickly, without having to go to this thread first?

13/05/2013 at 21:20

highland jeanie click on the balloon wait till  a balloon appears might be 10 - 15 seconds then move down to where you want it if it hits the edge of the map it will make the map scroll

13/05/2013 at 21:23

WW i should think if you go to the map and bookmark it that should work

13/05/2013 at 21:28

Thanks Nut...why couldn't I have thought of that?

we all learn something new every day

13/05/2013 at 21:30

I hope that's true WW. If I live long enough will I know everything?

13/05/2013 at 21:33

I don't think I want to know everything, as there would be no point asking you daft questions!

13/05/2013 at 21:42

True WW. I knew my ignorance had it's advantages

13/05/2013 at 21:44

Phew just checked - not me in sea - sort of silly mistake I'd make

13/05/2013 at 21:45

There's no answer to that, says Eric.

13/05/2013 at 22:16

I love this idea - just spent a happy 20 minutes virtually visiting you all.  Verdun - you are almost at Lands End - and FG and Andy19 are practically neighbours.  Well done Blackest for starting it off (BTW my OH spent a year living in Bandon - had no idea you were in that neck of the woods).

If nothing else, it has given me a quicker geography lesson than a whole evening staring at an atlas.

13/05/2013 at 22:19

Has there ever been a thread that has grown so quickly... I can't keep up!

13/05/2013 at 22:34

Just been looking where everyone is on the map and I noticed a place in France, between Reims and Metz, called 'Verdun'!  Is there any connection with the place and your avitar Verdun?  

Just mentioned this to OH now he's giving me a potted history of the 'Treaty of Verdun' - typical he would know about it - he's like walking enclylopedia  

13/05/2013 at 22:56
blackest wrote (see)

highland jeanie click on the balloon wait till  a balloon appears might be 10 - 15 seconds then move down to where you want it if it hits the edge of the map it will make the map scroll

I click on the balloon symbol & the balloon immediately appears on the map just above the symbol - right near the top so can only see a tiny bit of it.  So first I zoom in the map & put my area so it's just above the symbol, click the symbol, voila! I'm on the map.  But  I can't click on the ballon to add detail, it moves about, if I close it & go back in then the balloon's not there.   This is sooooooo frustrating; I'm not much at the pc but it appears to be easy from what most people are saying & I just want to be able to do it!!!

13/05/2013 at 23:08

well on the map is a icon like a chain link clicking on that will give a link to the map as you see it on screen. there is also the option of a short link which is easier to use.

its worth noting that if you click on a ballon on the left hand side the map will move to show that particular balloon at the magnification you are currently at.

you could just make a note of the short link and write or paste it into your web browser.

13/05/2013 at 23:59

Hi Nut, you've been a busy one. Can you please locate me too? I'm the original technophobe!!  I am in North Devon, well I was before all the blessed wind we had today - maybe relocated to Somerset in the hurricane!!            

14/05/2013 at 00:04
blackest wrote (see)

well on the map is a icon like a chain link clicking on that will give a link to the map as you see it on screen.

Woooooo-Hoooooo.  Got there at last!!!!!
When I brought a mini version of the map up it had a balloon correctly placed, which I could put the cursor onto.  Result!!

Thanks for your patience Blackest.

14/05/2013 at 00:08

Well, just about there - when I zoomed right in, I've discovered that I am now living on the golf course - oooops, only a few hundred yards out!!

14/05/2013 at 00:17

Been off line all night.  Came back on 5 mins ago so thought I would have a quick look before bed.  This thread is really funny.

Highland Jeannie, I think I'm in the middle of my road!!  Good fun though isn't it.

14/05/2013 at 07:42

Quite agree with you TT -  I love maps, we've had many family discussions around the dinner table with a globe, map or atlas.  The younger members of the family aren't always so enthusiastic, but usually find they join in after a while.  I often say 'shall I get the atlas' when the question of where a certain place is in the world/country.  Then they groan 'no its ok, Mum, where not that interested', but out comes the atlas anyway.  

101 to 120 of 322 messages