London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
14/05/2014 at 21:48

Hi all,im planning my new greenhouse(site,base,size etc).

Was looking on ebay earlier and kept seeing `tube`heaters suitable for greenhouses,and were surprisingly reasonable at £14-£19.

Has anyone had any expierience with these?

Im going to be getting a 6x4 greenhouse,so wanting to keep the costs of heating it to a  minimum.

Thanks guys and gals.

14/05/2014 at 22:18
I have just been given a little paraffin heater by my mum that she swears by, the only problem is it isn't automatic but is better than nothing and I will only be using it when temps go below 1-2c in the GH (a thermometer that registers highest and lowest temp is a good investment, I've recently got a new GhH and wouldn't be without mine). I haven't heard of the heaters you suggest but then I haven't done much research.

Of course, you shouldn't need to use it for a good few months yet anyway and a tip I have learnt on here recently is to fill black buckets with water which heats up during the day and then emits enough heat (if that's the right word) to higher the GH temp slightly at night.....that's explained in very simple terms!! I now keep 2 black buckets filled with water, every few days I use it to water the plants and refill, so dual purpose.....it also allows the dogs lovely water during the day which they enjoy!!

I'm not sure if this will help or not but I hope so
14/05/2014 at 23:39

My Brother in Law had a 20 foot by Ten foot greenhouse and used tube heaters in winter on thermostats. As the price of electricity rose he had to lower the thermostat and wrap the house with thick bubble wrap, in the end he switched off the Tubes and used two fan heater on frost guard. As it was his part time business he had to have at least frost guard.

If you are using the green house for just a few over winter plants the best way is to make a tent of bubble wrap away from the door and put a frost guard fan heater in which is what I normally do, a heated sand bed with bubble wrap curtains takes care of early seeds, shelves above that take care of  young plants, heat rises.

Heating a greenhouse by any means is costly, Paraffin and gas cause condensation, electricity is expensive hence my fan heater with frost guard, it works out cheapest of an expensive lot. It also helps to blanket individual plants.

Frank. 

15/05/2014 at 17:12

Thanks guys.

Ive also being looking on you tube at the tea light and terracotta method.

Looks interesting.

15/05/2014 at 18:03

I used to heat my greenhouses with hot water pipes from coal or oil fired boilers but that is certainly a thing of the past these days

If you have electric ( and again mindful of the cost ), a hot bed using soil warming cables can be cost effective if you want to raise seedlings early in the year.

You can construct on a bench or you can use this method on a bottom bed.  To make it more effective, your g/h needs to be well insulated.  Your cable also needs to be thermostatically controlled.  It can be a handy alternative to electric propagators and in most instances, you would only be using it for the same period.

15/05/2014 at 18:11

It really all depends on what you are going to keep in the greenhouse over winter.  If it is just to provide early heat for seeds, then a heated bed with a soil warming cable is cheap to run. You can build a tent with bubble wrap over it to keep it even warmer or cover the seedings at night with fleece, If it is to over winter large tender plants, then a fan heater with a frost setting as earlier suggested, would be good.

15/05/2014 at 19:02

I keep quite alot of fairly tender things overwinter in my cool greenhouse - and electric heater with 'frost' setting does the trick, and costs very little to run.

Paraffin is fine but generates as much water as it uses use fuel, i.e a gallon of paraffin makes a gallon of water to condense all over the plants, windows etc., which is why I stopped using that.  Tea lights and terra cotta are fine if you are prepared to go to the greenhouse 2 or 3 times a day every day - the one night you miss will be the hard frost that bites things.

15/05/2014 at 20:35

I read on you tube that you could get secondhand wax for literally pennies,and people were making there own candles by filling food tins with the secondhand wax and a wick and on average they burnt for 40 hours!

email image
8 messages