London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
6 messages
07/06/2013 at 16:55

Hi

I am a newbie gardener and have tried to grow all my summer plants from seed this year including perennails which I researched are good for clay/poor soil. Some are ok...some look rather small and ropey but I wil see in time!

I am trying to do it on a budget and don'thave hours and hours as I work full time with a 3 year old to look after also. I would like to sew some seeds for Autumn/Winter flowers. Am I too early? Can anyone suggest any seeds please for this time, plants which would like my rubbish soil!

Thanks

Winnie

07/06/2013 at 17:15

Hi Winnie,the only thing I can think of are winter flowering pansies or violas

07/06/2013 at 19:03

Some of the annuals will produce flowers late summer autumn. 

Winter praps not. 

07/06/2013 at 19:12

Not many things flower in the winter - some shrubs do but they cost a bit more - but you can soon start looking at some bulb catalogues and choosing daffs, narcissus, crocus etc to plant in Sept/Oct ready to flower from February onwards.  Then you can plant tulip bulbs in Nov and Dec. 

07/06/2013 at 19:23

Some of the little iris bulbs are very very early, and also can be very very cheap if you look around?

11/06/2013 at 14:41

If you want some stuff for next year to sow, get some wallflowers going, they will be ready to plant out in the autumn ready for spring colour. 

email image
6 messages