Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Hi

I am a newbie gardener and have tried to grow all my summer plants from seed this year including perennails which I researched are good for clay/poor soil. Some are ok...some look rather small and ropey but I wil see in time!

I am trying to do it on a budget and don'thave hours and hours as I work full time with a 3 year old to look after also. I would like to sew some seeds for Autumn/Winter flowers. Am I too early? Can anyone suggest any seeds please for this time, plants which would like my rubbish soil!

Thanks

Winnie

hollie hock

Hi Winnie,the only thing I can think of are winter flowering pansies or violas

nutcutlet

Some of the annuals will produce flowers late summer autumn. 

Winter praps not. 

Dovefromabove

Not many things flower in the winter - some shrubs do but they cost a bit more - but you can soon start looking at some bulb catalogues and choosing daffs, narcissus, crocus etc to plant in Sept/Oct ready to flower from February onwards.  Then you can plant tulip bulbs in Nov and Dec. 

Rosie31

Some of the little iris bulbs are very very early, and also can be very very cheap if you look around?

Advertisement

AndytheScientist

If you want some stuff for next year to sow, get some wallflowers going, they will be ready to plant out in the autumn ready for spring colour.