Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

why do bananas spell?

We get free fruit at work and I have noticed the bananas have a funny smell. I have never noticed it before. I know some people can smell, I thought they were joking

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Bananas smell of bananas.

Whether they can spell or not is a matter of conjecture image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• They sink Dove! I mean really pong!image

• As Terry Practhett says in his Discworld books, there are some words that just wont stop formingimage Anyway back to the original question, 'Why do Bana... this fruit stink!'image

• Hate the smell of banana's so much so that in my early 20's if I caught a wiff of one then it'll be image

I've now got a stronger stomach....... just image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

One of the reasons I only like pretty green bananas - and please don't peel one in the car …...

• I love bananas, one of my favourite fruits.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Bananas give off ethylene gas which is why we use them to ripen over fruits and why they shouldn't be kept near cut flowers

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Dont know why they should smell horrid. Chop the skins up and put them round your rose bushes, its good for them.

• Two brilliant pieces of info there from Fleurisa and ginagibbs. Gina is your doggy a King Charles Spaniel? He/She looks lovely.