London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 82 messages
28/08/2013 at 08:15

Well -  I read loads of books on playing the piano but for some reason I can't do it as well as Elton......

28/08/2013 at 08:17
Georgie Edwards wrote (see)

As someone new to gardening I find that sometimes the best way to learn is to have a go and then learn from mistakes.  It can be difficult to fully research something new to you as you don't always know what to ask or look out for, by getting stuck in you can learn as you go.

that's true Georgie,

years later it's hard to remember how little you knew at the beginning. 

28/08/2013 at 08:48

As Mr Rumsfeld would say: It's the unknown unknows turning into the known knowns.

Now, where did I put those secateurs, they were here a minute ago......

28/08/2013 at 08:57

I've asked lots of questions since joining a couple of weeks ago. I was also getting used to how this forum works - still can't work it properly . I have asked questions that have already been answered but I didn't realise that and often I come in from the garden with a burning question and have so looked forward to getting an answer. I wish i had joined this years ago. Please don't tell us mistaker makers off: I make lots of mustaks! And i am not perfect and never will be (sob). This site has so many lovely, knowlegable people and surely there is room for the tryers?

28/08/2013 at 09:03

I don,t usually get steamed up about things,but as far as I am concerned enough said.

Am aware of the button Dove & Sue will use if necessary

Do not want to spoil an enjoyable forum.

28/08/2013 at 09:31

Haisie, please don't ever be perfect. It would be too boring

Keep asking the questions. they need asking. It's the way we all learn. I've been at it for years and still asking and learning

28/08/2013 at 13:16

Thanks nutcutlet! I love gardening, just wish I'd been able to ask lots of questions before now and probably the same questions over again until it sinks in! Escaping to my garden is the best thing I do - no bad tempered folk, no-one telling you what to do... "It's all mine, mine I tell you!" she slobbers, rocking in the garden chair. So, bad-tempered folk, smile and realise that most of us are simply happy . I'll go and skip around the garen now "La, la, la..."

28/08/2013 at 13:35

Haisie, we all make mistakes. Every year I try something new. Some work, some don't. Usually all i've lost is a pack of seed, or another plant turns its toes up at the frost and disappears. Sometimes I find supposedly frost tender plants are hardier than they are supposed to be. A lot of new plants such as hardy gerberas are anything but.

Most people on the forum will offer an opinion. Sometimes its right. Sometimes it's wrong. Anybody offering an opinion has to accept there are people with other viewpoints.  Gardening is not an exact science. (although it helps if you know some science and basic biology). I've got more books on gardening than the local library, some almost a hundred years old. The internet is a great resource though.

28/08/2013 at 14:19

A lot of the rights and wrongs aren't that clear-cut either. A friend and I both had the same plant. I thought it was a shade plant, put it in the shade and it did really well. My friend thought it needed sun, so she put it in the sun and it did really well.

28/08/2013 at 14:29

28/08/2013 at 14:32

Thanks fidgetbones. i have just read that other thread about the plum tree. Blimey! I would have been so upset if that had have happened to me early on this and I wouldn't have returned as I would have felt excluded. Good job I know different now.

28/08/2013 at 14:40

You'll be OK with me Haisie as I just pretend I'm a gardener, so that these nice people chat to me.  May have to fill you in on the yapping dog.  That's the initiation process.

28/08/2013 at 14:41

from time to time some not so nice people turn up on the forum but most of us respect other peoples outlooks (even if we know they're wrong)

28/08/2013 at 15:58

It's not worth the agro is it Nut   Let's leave the dillusional ones to their ranting and the rest of us can get on with helping those who need help.

Nice to meet you Haisie by the way 

28/08/2013 at 16:02

Yes, sorry Haisie, how rude of me not to say hello before, Hello. Welcome

28/08/2013 at 17:13

Aw shucks! How lovely and what a welcome, thank you all. Well, I was born on this 'Janet Salisbury' as I didn't realise that I could create a name. And so I morphed into Haisie. Amusing myself with a mix of my two cat's names. But I do look through a haze of love at my garden  and so the pun... I think that I was quite rude and burst onto this without saying 'hello' - enthusiatic - but I thank all for advice, etc., and join in when I can giving snippets of advice (and my, oh my, are they snippets). I have been building an evergreen background in my garden for a long time and I am going to venture to more beautiful flowers next year as I am inspired. My garden seems to have recovered from the llandii suck and so it should bloom (was over 10 years ago!). But i am slow and much has died with or without my errors! But all seems alive and kicking now. I am a basic gardener: got lots of box balls; want to clip one into the shape of an aeroplane so that's a project. But otherwise all beginner plants that are growing nicely. Just put a yew, a Portugese laurel, a pieris and some eunonymous in the space that four lemon-scented conifers left as they died. So, basic plants. Thank you again, I really enjoy reading everyone's posts. Great site.

28/08/2013 at 17:18

And, erm, what's the yapping dog, TinaTurner? Afraid? Very!

28/08/2013 at 17:26

How long have you got Haisie as it's been going on for 4 years.    Do you have trouble getting off to sleep as I'm sure that once I start, you will be soundo!!

Oops, here comes that nasty Fairygirl with a gag. (Not a funny one at that)

28/08/2013 at 17:39

Go on, I'm on hol until next week! Or is it just a threat? Like going for a long stand; bubble for a spirit level... When someone is new to something then they get their heads flushed. Fairygirl is nice, she's helped me. Oh, i have a lot to learn on here. Really funny!

28/08/2013 at 18:15

Fairygirl is great, as they all are.  You will have to view Morning Forkers, early morning until 6, then Good Evening Forkers. If you post after the allotted time, you get a detention. Sometimes gets very crowded in that room!  Some lose track of time.

Yapping dog. Blighted my summers for the past 3+ years. Yapped early morning, all day long and at night. Decided when they were on holiday and peace reigned and I was calm, to write a very polite, friendly letter expressing my distress.  2 days after they returned, owner pounded on my door, bit like using a battering ram, admonished me for spoiling his holiday, etc, etc.  Kept my cool then told him didn't like the look on his face, nor his tone of  voice.  Said he had had no other complaints, which I quite believe as people are apathetic and don't want to rock the boat.  I, of course, have heard many neighbours complaining.  Said he couldn't possibly stop him yapping, and blamed all the other dogs in the neighbourhood as dog was talking to them!!  Anyway, not sure what's happened but since that day - 2 weeks now - you can hear a pin drop.  I have been able to work and sit in the garden in total peace and quiet, apart from the usual kiddies playing, which I have no problem with whatsoever.  Rather like it.  I am, at the moment, very happy, apart from the fact that not once did my neighbour apologise to me fo the distress I had been caused. It was all me, me and his poor wife. 

Now, are you still awake Haisie.  Bit boring really but you did ask.

21 to 40 of 82 messages