London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 82 messages
27/08/2013 at 22:23

Why is it that when someone comes along full of problems because they started off all wrong didnt read anything but are then told to do it right, do your home work first,

the person telling them this good advise (me in this case) have to have all kinds of people saying your hard on the OP or didnt you ever make a mistake??????

We have many people read these forums and im sure many just starting off for their first garden and they're reading whats been said to gain that much needed know how, ie where to look, how to go about such & such,

You wouldn't go to TESCO's for a hip operation "that would be silly because Tesco wouldnt have a clue how to go about such a serious operation,

Why not go about gardening in the correct way first by asking "BEFORE" you have costly problems????

But more important than all this why the hell do people insist on shooting the messenger, the one who's saying "find out first before you make mistakes !!!

I put a thread on here only a few weeks ago about people not wanting to thin out seeds etc, And what happens tonight we have a question telling us his plum tree is snapping due to not having the fruit weight removed,

The advice was given weeks ago,

I learned this advice years ago when i first wanted to grow fruit trees,

dont keep knocking the god advice given, until the new to gardening are willing to learn then they'll make mistakes that could be avoided by learning off those who spent the time & money learning the subject.

Gardening is my life and now ive retired this is what i do most of the time pre retirement i'd spent some 35 years gardening as a hobby,

I came on this forum to both help those who wanted to learn "pass on what i know to them, how to do such & such and how to find out what they want to know,

But effort must come from those wanting to know, ive never said gardening is easy

but i do say start off on the right road & you'll save yourself a lot of upset.

The people who feel that being told the answer to a problem in black and white with no frills  is wrong then all i'll say is your only fooling the person who's got the problem in the first place And they'll be non the wiser in the end But im sure you'll be waiting to give the same advice to the next vicim of not starting off in the correct direction.

27/08/2013 at 22:27

The way the NHS is going we soon will find ouselves in aisle 18  in Tesco's waiting for a hip operation.

27/08/2013 at 22:35

I can only assume that people respond to your comments in the way they do is.because the messenger (in this case you) is rude,no need for that,

I am not saying you don,t  ever give good advice,but perhaps you could change the manner in which it is written.After all we don,t want to scare people off of the forum do we?

I notice you refer to the "god advice given"  by you ,is that how you see yourself

27/08/2013 at 22:38

Tesco's are trying to take over the world by wiping out small businesses - dont get me started on a rant about them!!!

27/08/2013 at 22:41

I think some people also come on here because maybe they've started a project in their garden with the best intentions and thinking they are doing it right and things haven't gone quite to plan and they are asking for advice.  We all learn by making mistakes.

27/08/2013 at 22:42

LOL Paula!

27/08/2013 at 22:44
waterbutts wrote (see)

The way the NHS is going we soon will find ouselves in aisle 18  in Tesco's waiting for a hip operation.

...pay at the checkout.....Cashback?

Well said Paula,similar comments on "plum tree split full of fruit " thread,which is why this thread has been started.

Wonder how many Clubcard points you'd get 

27/08/2013 at 22:46

Perhaps you could get vouchers towards your next op ?

27/08/2013 at 22:49

Perhaps starting this thread was bad idea SD?

27/08/2013 at 22:50

This forum has been working very well with the friendly advice given by those in the know and certainly doesn't want some pompous, self opinionated person coming along and upsetting everyone.  You need to tone your advice down and stop dictating to people.

And I love Tescos. I reckon I'd get treated quicker there than by the NHS!! supermarkets out there you know. 

Think I better take a pill and have a lie down.

27/08/2013 at 22:51

Glad other people feel the same way about this as I do.

27/08/2013 at 22:53

We're not all perfect SD and we can't predict the future as to how well something will grow or not grow. Life would be incredibly boring if we all knew what was going to happen.

27/08/2013 at 22:54

Maybe you should just consider what you say next time and the manner in which you say it.

28/08/2013 at 06:25

I have only been using this forum for the past couple of months and have found it the most friendly by far, please don't go and spoil all that SD - there is no need to be rude, it isn't helpful to be intimidating and to think you know it all.  If people take the time to ask a question and need advice please be civil to them. 

28/08/2013 at 06:45

If SD continues to harangue people who are simply asking a civil question, he may find that they press the 'Ignore' button by his Avataar and that way they'll never have to see his posts again - I'm sure he doesn't want that to happen.

28/08/2013 at 07:08

Oh dear, here we go again!

28/08/2013 at 07:11

I do hope not Sue - that's why it's good that people who get steamed up about these things can press that ignore button if they want to.

28/08/2013 at 08:11

As someone new to gardening I find that sometimes the best way to learn is to have a go and then learn from mistakes.  It can be difficult to fully research something new to you as you don't always know what to ask or look out for, by getting stuck in you can learn as you go.

1 to 20 of 82 messages