London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
9 messages
04/06/2013 at 14:02

Hi all - newb gardener here, just got my own house with garden of good size. Growing a lot of stuff, mainly veg - leaving the flowers to the wife!

To the point

Ive been reading this forum a lot lately, and one thing that ive noticed in a few of the threads is... the William Morris Principle

Ive searched for a description of what it is, and so far ive only been able to ascertain that its some kind of design? or maybe a specific procedure/ruleset for the garden?

Can anyone give me a good resource on what this priciple is?

Im keen to get the maximum out of my garden in the future and am seeking out all Internet resource possible. This forum is a very very good resource may I add

Thanks in advance

04/06/2013 at 14:09

I believe the quote is " Have nothing in your house that you do not believe  is useful  or beautiful."

Do a search for "William Morris  - useful and beautiful"

It is then carried into the garden. No point growing ugly or useless stuff.

04/06/2013 at 14:13

That's a good principle. I've been having a bit of a cull. If it hasn't pleased me for years it's out. Those chrysanths that flower so late they get hit by bad weather every year. The dirty pinks and whites of the self seeded aquilegias. Day lilies that flower so rarely I can't remember what colour they are. They're out.

04/06/2013 at 14:14

ok, this makes sense. Thanks fidgetbones

I dont read many books, but this sounds like common sense to me, I like everything to be useful - hence (primarily) growing fruit/veg

Thanks again

04/06/2013 at 14:16

nutcutlet,thanks for the reply

I guess this principle is best used when your garden is full of flowers, less so when its not

04/06/2013 at 14:25

Paul- William Morris was founder of the Arts and  Crafts movement. You've possibly heard of or seen his designs without realising- a lot of wallpapers are  from  W.M prints . They're usually in big posh Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian houses!

Fidget - I'm not commenting on ugly and useless things in the house!.....

04/06/2013 at 14:52

The princilple applies to fruit and vegetables too... you will soon find out what does well for you and what does not. For example , for me, I am wasting time money and energy on growing dwarf beans, but I always have a profusion of runner beans. 

07/06/2013 at 09:05

I think the Morris Principle is the one already mentioned.  Morris was also passionate about rural craftsmanship and good, simple design which was both pleasing and functional.  All of these are very applicable to creating a productive and attractive garden.

12/06/2013 at 01:48

I'm learning this myself, far easier to go with nature than fight it. My gooseberries are stripped to the canes every year, regardless of spraying and netting, Yes I could wrap them up in fleece, bt then is a pain when the wind gets up. I'm going to throw them, and the damn sawfly and grow something I enjoy probably more, blueberries!

email image
9 messages