London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
9 messages
24/02/2014 at 11:49

Morning all from erein Sunny Norfolk, its a cracker of a day, right iv just come from the rhubarb topic which as often does turned to booze, knowing u lot i was,nt a bit surprised, now im following so i can decide which rhubarb to start as we hav,nt any at all, so following that one and probly get some at weekend,with a thought to crumble and wine maybe,now do you think we could have a wine making topic for the complete beginner by people who have actually done it not a book but real peoples recipes like Dove put up , i personally will need cider as weve planted 5 new deserts and a cooker,a plum and rhubarb should be ok in 2 to 3 years i hope any recipes and advise will be really welcome wotuthink  Alan

24/02/2014 at 15:17

A photo gallery of my cider making here http://sussexhill.net/Events/Making_Cider/index.html I made 10 gallons this year.

I also made a gallon of wine from my greenhouse grapes (probably Black Hamburgh) with a few bunches from my new Seyval Blanc vines intended for outdoor planting thrown in for good measure. I made just two bottles the year before from a couple of Chardonnay vines, recognisable but just a little bit sharp.

24/02/2014 at 19:24

I can give you Pear, Quince and Damson wine recipes if anyone is interested (there is a fair bit of typing involved; so only if you really are interested)

25/02/2014 at 10:31

Steephill iv saved that one thanks very much for that ,the cider really is simple,

Artjak, many thanks for the offer Pear would be really good,im open for the messages in my settings if you prefer many thanks matey. 

25/02/2014 at 11:11

oooh I didn't notice this thread before.

I want to try to make cider this year. My mother and future in law both have big cooking apple trees - can you use cooking apples for cider? We rather overdose on apple pies normally! (Mother also have plum and pear trees) I've also a pear, crab apple, and a large established apple tree of unknown variety tree in the garden.

25/02/2014 at 11:23

I made wine from Victoria plums once, but it wasn't nice.  Both batches had an unpleasant 'undertaste' that I can only describe as being like cheap nasty brandy.  My other wines were much nicer.  Maybe it was the recipe, or maybe another plum variety would be preferable, or maybe it was just my personal taste, but I wouldn't suggest that a beginner starts with plum alone, as it might put them off winemaking. 

26/02/2014 at 18:24

Clarington - you can make cider from any apple but whether you'd want to drink it is another matter! The biggest problem with cooking apples is that they are fairly sharp giving an acid cider. If you could blend them 50:50 with eating apples that will help a lot. The main thing with most garden apples is that they are all short of tannin. You can simply add powdered tannin during fermentation to get that proper mouth-puckering bite of a good cider.

Depending on the apple variety and ripeness the resulting cider will be high in alcohol, probably 7 or maybe 8 % ABV  - about twice as strong as beer.

26/02/2014 at 18:58

I know you said not a book, but if you have one penny to spare, look on amazon uk for "The Boots Book of Home Wine Making and Brewing" and read the reviews.

26/02/2014 at 20:32

The old "Amateur winemaker" books are pretty good too.

If you do an amazon search for wine and C. J. J.  Berry it brings up a lot of paperbacks that I have found useful in the past.

email image
9 messages