London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
17/12/2013 at 15:22

Which means... Its going to start getting light again, WHOO!

I know we have to get through January But I start annual sowing again the end of February. Trays of French Marigolds on the windowsills, dwarf sunflowers and lobelia.

When is the earliest you start sowing and what do you sow. I know the Fruit and Veg lot get sowing early, but what are the earliest flower sowings?

17/12/2013 at 15:27

Depends what the flowers are Mark. I've sowed the ones that need sowing fresh and will sow some others that need a chill after Christmas.

Winter solstice  approaching. Hebe 'Midsummer Beauty'  flowering

17/12/2013 at 15:46

Nut, I've just been out to have a look and there are; lobelia, pansies, roses, gypsophila, a perennial type of Allysum, some tall strange nameless papery flowers that I bought at a fete this summer, and probably some others lurking at the end, all in flower. I'm sure that isn't normal for this time of year.

Mark, I share your feelings about it starting to get light again!

17/12/2013 at 15:51

We always do a new year's day flower count, artjak. Numbers vary between none (or hidden under snow) and 40 or 50. It all depends on the weather in the lead up time. Looking good for this year.

17/12/2013 at 16:24

Hi artjak

Those papery flowers are they these? helichrysum, They are my fav.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35174.jpg?width=208&height=208&mode=max

17/12/2013 at 18:54

I start my first batches of flower seeds off first week of Feb - only have 7 seed trays on my heated propagator, so have to get the first lot going to have room for a second, and even third batch.  So not long now ......

17/12/2013 at 19:08

Mark, Artak, I love those too - just checked my pics and I last grew them 12 years ago, so time for a reintroduction!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35176.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

17/12/2013 at 20:00

Hi Bob

What a great display! They are not all helichrysum's are they? Can you name the ones in your picture for me please.

17/12/2013 at 21:35

I'm fairly sure the dark centred ones are all mixed Rudbeckias Mark but am not sure about the short all-yellow ones at the bottom right.

18/12/2013 at 08:26

OK, thanks, I'll check out those Rudbeckias

19/12/2013 at 10:25

Mark1963, you are a genius; no one else amongst neighbours and friends has been able to name them. They are such good value, they just keep on flowering. I assume they are annuals?

19/12/2013 at 11:42

Hi artjak,

Yes there are annuals. I got my first packet of seeds last year free with a gardening mag. The actual flower is in the centre and the papery petals are just display. The plant must have a reason for that.

I bought another packet from a garden centre in Sept. I sowed a few and the seedlings are overwintering in an unheated GH. Hopefully they will make a Spring display. Some look stronger than others so I'll wait and see. I'll sow the rest in a heated prop, towards the end of Feb when the light is starting to get longer.

They like full sun.

19/12/2013 at 20:50

Mark, any plant with 'heli' in the name ought to like sun as I think it may be Greek or Latin for sun. But I'm not sure about helibores?

19/12/2013 at 22:31

You know what, artjak I was going to mention the 'heli' but did not want to sound to 'show off' That's my task for next year to learn more Latin names to help me understand my plants.

Us Lynn boys have to stick together. I lived on the Fairstead from 1975 to 2000. My parents still live there. I try and go down once a year. Message me if you want to talk further about Lynn.

20/12/2013 at 10:39

Mr Google reveals this "....Witches used pulverized Helleborus roots to drive out evil spirits. The pulverized root particles will stimulate sneezing. There is an ingredient in the roots called Protoanemonin that stimulates sneezing. Let’s look at the Latin origins of the genus name Helleborus. The name consists of the Greek word ‘helein’ which means ‘killing’ and ‘bora’ which means ‘for food.’ Many people died in the execution of these rituals. ...." http://www.helleborus.us/HistoryMythology.html

Helichrysum has a different spelling Helios = Greek god of the sun.

20/12/2013 at 11:01

Dove, I never did know how hellebore was spelt

Thank you Mark, but I'm basically a Londoner; I've only lived here for a few years! Did you do much gardening when you lived here?

20/12/2013 at 11:23

Hi artjak

I use to help my Dad with his garden, and we go to flower festival and apple picking at Sandringham. I would just sit and listen to my Dad and his brother in law talk about gardening. I learnt a lot. Dad is 86 now and cannot garden anymore. Its me now telling him about my garden. I take photos of what I do and send them to my parents. I go down once a year and buy them a few hanging baskets to dot around the garden.

20/12/2013 at 18:14

Mark, Apple picking at Sandringham sounds great. I was walking in Sandringham forest with my Jack Russell on Tuesday and found this stunning glade with my two favourite trees; Silver Birch and Scots Pine. There were huge views of the surrounding countryside, such a beautiful place.

21/12/2013 at 09:23

Well, today is the day ....

i can feel those days getting longer already ......

21/12/2013 at 10:28

According to someone on R4 earlier today mornings will start to get lighter from tomorrow, but due to something (not quite sure what) evenings will still get darker earlier for the next few days, then they start getting lighter too ....   I shall google ..... backsun ...........

1 to 20 of 33 messages