Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

You & todays internet media

When two pedestrians bump into each other or make some other error of passage, apologies  and often pleasantries are normally exchanged.

If the same transgressions occur with drivers, the exchanges are often more abusive or aggressive.

I think it's the lack of face to face interaction that causes the change.

It is the same way with online communication.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Some might say it's easier to be rude when you can hide behind the anonymity of the internet, others might say it's easier to be honest when not speaking face to face.  I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I think it's down to basic manners.

I would like to think I'm not rude to anybody that doesn't deserve it whether face to face, online, on the phone etc etc. I was brought up to bite my tongue until it hurt rather than lower myself to the level of those who think just hurling insults around is the way to have a conversation.

Think twice and speak or write once.

Last edited: 13 March 2017 08:47:31

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Mike - you are not a newbie.  You have been around in various guises for years.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

To add to Obi, no one can post anything if they are non members.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

There are people who like starting arguments (trolls)

There are people who need to vent their frustration but are not brave enough to confront the real causes (bullies)

There are people who are just rude (idiots)

There are people who mean well but sometimes say the wrong or an unthinking thing and cause unintentional upset (normal)

There are people who always want to have the last word and don't really care what it is (egotists)

There are people who try to be funny but the joke doesn't 'come across' in type or out of context (misguided)

And - on the other end - there are people who chose to take offence where none was intended (snowflakes)

All of us fall into one or other category sometimes. Are you self aware enough to know which you are, Mike Allen (and your aliases)?

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

Your twin Hortico has been a member for absolutely yonks Mike, you should probably ask him

Raisingirl - that last would be Sockpuppet.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You forgot Flame Baiter, that's where they put up an OP then don't comment on it themselves. Just get everyone else riled up, perhaps we should drop this thread as it's just what he wants. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

It's OK Lyn.  Nora is aware of his name change and his past names and his past posting history.  I expect this thread will be closed if it gets silly.

Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Definitions great, raisin girl image

In the sticks near Peterborough