London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
15 messages
24/02/2013 at 15:38
I'm having lots of fun putting up my 1st ever greenhouse. It's a compact 2 by 4 foot beauty and I'm very proud!! This is only my 2nd full season if gardening, and i was just wondered when you all got your 1st greenhouse and what you grew in it? Also, is it just me, or is building a greenhouse a little like mechano for adults?!
24/02/2013 at 15:49

I learnt a lot of new swear words

Ours was a replacement for a homemade rickety thing that we inherited with the house-got everybody 15 or so years ago or so to give me money for Christmas -went off to B & Q with my dosh-took two weekends a lot of bolting -and unbolting when something was the wrong way round -(reading a diagram with no written instructions).

The thing is having done one-it is so satisfying you want to do another one.

24/02/2013 at 15:56
My first was a zip up little tent, then one became two now have a small greenhouse though (given by work colleague couple years ago) , I use for potting up and taking cuttings, have grown toms, cucumber , basil, salads , flowers in since and look forward to starting again this year.

OH built mine , I'd have had it all back to front and upside down , once I start in there I'm always there...OH knows where to find me
24/02/2013 at 16:06

Congratulations Tilley - fun times ahead! This is just my third year of growing in a greenhouse and it is my pride and joy. I have been able to get decent tomato crops at last without the dreaded blight getting them. I also grow lots and lots of chillies  cucumbers and herbs and also start off all my other veg in there before planting out.

We prepared the base for our greenhouse ourselves but we had professionals erect it for us!

24/02/2013 at 16:16
I started off with a cold frame, then added one of those zip up plastic 4 shelved jobs. About 12 years ago, I got an 8x6 one from Hombase, I think. I put it up with a neighbour, for which I was very grateful as I had a nasty accident with glass a few years back and I'm neurotic about the stuff. Since then, I've added a 4x2 lean to.
Bloke electrified them both a couple of years ago, which makes a huge difference, now I've got a couple of heated propagators and a little greenhouse heater in there as well.
I also got a small water butt and hooked it up to the guttering on the bigger one, so there's water on tap all the time.
I do love them, I've overwintered my brugmansias in there, and they've still got all their leaves. I am lucky enough to have a walled garden though, and the Walls seem to act as giant storage heaters...I haven't bothered to bubble wrap them for years now. ( the greenhouses, not the Walls!)
24/02/2013 at 19:56
Figrat, I now have mental image of bubble wrapped walls...
But I am glad to hear that at least one of you had a go at putting it up yourself! Well done sotongeoff!!! And my vocabulary has certainly expanded too...
I think I'm going to loose myself in there once completed, just like you Bunny And my OH has been pre warned of my new hideout.
Tomorrow and Tuesday are glass days. Hubby and I have sync ed up our days off to do this as I'm very pregnant and clumsy at the mo!!! Did the frame myself though. Grrrr.
24/02/2013 at 20:19

Tilley, get yourself one of those baby monitors that has a long range and a parent monitor that you can pop onto your belt.  Then when LO is a bit older (and you've had some sleep) you can pop out there for half an hour or so whilst bump is asleep.

For the first 6 weeks all you will want to do is sleep, though.  Good luck with your new arrival (and the greenhouse too!!)

24/02/2013 at 20:28
Genius idea!!! Love it
26/02/2013 at 07:55

My first was a cold frame, had plenty of fun planting in it. I have just bought for the first time a pop up metal frame plastic covered one, not expensive, not stunning and probably not big enough, but lets see what happens this year. I also just had a birthday and got all gardening gifts (including a paint your own gnome) from my friends and family which shows that they know me so well. 

26/02/2013 at 08:43
Tilly it was a lovely feeling when I had my first greenhouse. I used to stand in it just tinkering with plants simply enjoying being in the warm comfortable environment of the greenhouse but really not knowing too much what to do exactly. Growing my own tomatoes that first summer was amazing. You are going to enjoy your greenhouse....and your new arrival to be.
26/02/2013 at 09:57
DiscoDave, paint your own gnome? You've GOT to post the photos!!! I used to work in the art dept at Alton Towers, as a leaving gift they have me an Umpa Lumpa from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride. He serves as our gnome

Verdun, I'm just so excited to have somewhere I can tinker in the garden whilst keeping warm, especially now i have an ever growing bump! And it's nearly seed sowing season. Woop woop!

Today's job, glazing the frame between showers... I promise to post photo once done.
26/02/2013 at 12:48

Hallo Tilley, this article in todays Daily Telegraph might be of interest to you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/9885682/What-to-grow-in-a-greenhouse-in-winter.html

Hope you have lots of fun in your new greenhouse.

26/02/2013 at 12:53

lol, now you have put me on the spot Tilley, you used to work in art dept, and I have the painting skills of a worm dipped in morphine covered in paint then lain on some paper.. This should be fun..

26/02/2013 at 18:18

well  here's the first pic

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19045.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

heres one done, lol..

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19046.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

26/02/2013 at 18:30
He. Is. Gorgeous! What a fabulous gnome, Disco Dave!! I'm more than a little impressed

I'm afraid that my hubby and I have only just got back in the house, having FINISHED THE GREENHOUSE!!!!! Wahooooo!
Trouble is, it was dark and so I couldn't take a picci. Promise I will ASAP.

Can I also recomend the wonderful article SwissSue has posted. I'm thrilled to see I don't need extra heat to have fun in there all year round, thank you!!
email image
15 messages