London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
16 messages
23/08/2013 at 22:25

I haven't got room for a greenhouse, but would like somewhere to put seedlings, protect half hardies and perhaps grow some tomatoes.  I'd be grateful for any tips about things to consider, and any particular makes you can recommend.  Thank you!

24/08/2013 at 20:27

I can't help you happycottontail but I'm responding here so it bumps this back up the list in the hope that someone will see it and can help you

24/08/2013 at 22:11

Thanks Heather - what a kind thought!  I was just wondering about reposting and leaving out the word 'polycarbonate'!

24/08/2013 at 22:52

Hi, happycottontail,

I'd recommend a four shelved plastic grow house, it's ideal for growing seedlings and the shelves can be removed if you wan to grow toms.

24/08/2013 at 23:04

Wow - some advice at last!  Thanks Z!

25/08/2013 at 11:09

yay it worked 

25/08/2013 at 12:05

Thanks again Heather.  I have also put up a new post that doesn't include the word 'polycarbonate', but so far no reaction!

25/08/2013 at 20:51

You think that the word polycarbonate might be scaring people off?! I don't know about that but I hope you get the answers you're looking for. 

25/08/2013 at 21:06

Hi happycottontail

There are so many shapes and designs for grow-houses and mini-greenhouses that a hundred people would have a hundred opinions. Browse the net for mini-greenhouses, leaf through one or two of the gardening magazines or walk around a bigger garden ventre and see what takes your fancy.

They can be pricy though.

But I would not go for the floppy plastic type, they only last a couple of years and can be damaged easily.

In the end it's a personal choice and what works for me might not work for you.

25/08/2013 at 21:25

Hi,

A store on line...'Greenfingers.com' have a really good sale on at present and sell small grow houses and lean too's at reasonable prices. Check them out and if there's anything you think will suit, post back. I'm sure posters will be able to tell you the pro's and con's for each type.

26/08/2013 at 10:02

Peter, I could do all those things you suggested if I had more time!  But I was hoping for some quicker pointers!

Zoomer, thank you for providing me with a great one!    I didn't know about Greenfingers.com, but the site looks really promising.

26/08/2013 at 11:50

I bought a 3 tier cold frame from Robert Dyas (less than £31.99 with 20% off right now). Worked a treat to over winter plants - not good for non-hardy plants but great to keep plants dry and that crucial bit warmer. Small and fits in any garden. Would recommend totally.

Argos also has a 3 by 6 ft polycarbonate greenhouse for £180.

26/08/2013 at 21:13

Although space is limited hct. I'd buy the biggest one you can afford and will fit in the space. If on a budget the pastic four shelved grow houses are fab. They've a tendency to get blown over in Winter but if weighted down or tied to something solid are fine. The covers do eventually perish but are cheap to replace.

Moving up market you could get an aluminum or wooden framed grow house. Aluminium needs little up keep but wood, would need to be treated every so often.

Then there's glass or polycarbonate. A few pointers to consider, polycarbonate is probably safer if small children frequent your garden.

Now I'm happy to be wrong with the following pointers as I have a glass GH and haven't used  polycarbonate...but one lets in more light and glass is less likely to get scratched when being washed, you'll need to wash it at least once a year, probably twice, in the Autumn and again in the Spring, me also thinks one retains heat better, not sure which though, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us.

26/08/2013 at 21:57

Ooh, lots of food for thought there Zoomer - thank you!  Just the sort of info I needed.

01/09/2013 at 22:03

Well, today I have ordered a lean to wood and polycarbonate growhouse from  the Greenfingers website.  It comes as a flat pack, so that will be a challenge...

01/09/2013 at 22:37

Good luck and happy growing. The small wooden one's are reasonably priced and a good starter. Let us know how you get on, if you like it I may replace my 4 tired plastic grow house with one or two

email image
16 messages