London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
6 messages
16/08/2013 at 10:13

Having read some of the previous threads already, I'm still undecided on what would be best with regards the base for my planned greenhouse.  It will be approx 12'x9' and a cedar construction. Would you recommend all paving, or part paving, part gravel with a paving perimeter?  Or is there something else I should consider? 

Thank you!

16/08/2013 at 10:41

It depends what you want to do with it. Mine is aluminium on an aluminium base which is concreted in. I kept half of it earth to plant into. Paving is good for where the potting bench and shelves are as it's easy to keep clean.

16/08/2013 at 10:57
Hi Potty its so strange greenhouse sellers don't give sound advise on bases for there customers, iv decided to slab or grit ours and have removable containers for the growing of, makes it easier to change soils and stuff, I wouldn't use grow bags as theirs some better types of bags available now in G/C and on the net not too costly, iv also saved the big builders bags the timber and builders use for bulk delivery, cut them down and put four 12 inch planks in to make them rigid a few holes in the bottom and have instant raised beds, sounds a nice buy you have there Cedar nice one
Goodluck Alan
16/08/2013 at 12:15

Hi Potty Girl - Just upgrading my aluminium greenhouse for a cedar one.  Replacing current part paved/part gravel base with a solid concrete base.  One tip, if you have a solid concrete base, don't be tempted to seal it to keep it nice/look good as it won't be porous for water run-off or damping down.  Enjoy your new greenhouse.

17/08/2013 at 16:20

Good points from Smokin Donkey. I only use my GH from March when I start sowing in heated propagators, so warmth in winter isn't so much of a problem. I have a frame filled with sand with a heating cable in it which I put young tender plants in at night when it's cold.

27/08/2013 at 22:27

Thank you everyone...I hadn't received email reminders that you'd all posted replies, and couldn't access the website yesterday!  I really appreciate your advice, and some fantastic tips too!

email image
6 messages