London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
7 messages
13/02/2013 at 14:52

Ok I read all the reviews dropped all the hints to family, shelled out for power down to the greenhouse, and now I have my first ever heated propagator. I have the large vitopod  with extension height. What now? What temperatures should I be using for general seed  germination, do I need to fill it up or will part filled be ok. I mostly grow veg. Anything in the books to tell me what to do?

All info greatefully received

13/02/2013 at 18:08

google is thy friend, put in what seeds you want to germinate and you are sure to find the temperature range you need. A word of advice, something I found out the hard way, I'd wait a few more weeks yet, the daylight just isn't good enough, and your seeds will germinate, but they will be very stretched and straggly. (searching for the light)

I'm itching to get sowing myself, but I want good seedlings, not long drawn out flimsy ones!!!

13/02/2013 at 22:50

Sounds an exciting new venture, how nice to have a heated propagator in the GH. Mines, an indoor window ledge type, so this doesn't answer your question but I agree with LearningSlowly, no matter how tempting it is, try to hold off germinating to soon. I learnt the hard way and am still learning. 

I keep a gardening diary of when early seeds are sown and whether the plants grew or not, which has been useful for stuff which needs a long growing season like peppers, chillies and aubergines. Was going to start sowing aubergines and peppers a week earlier this year. 

You might want to keep a dairy to include temperatures of sowings, then you'll know for future years which you've tried and what works, usually the seed packets say at what  temp stuff germinates but sowing times can vary as to where you live in the country. 

14/02/2013 at 12:23

Yes I'm patiently waiting, although I think if I pace much more I'll wear the tiles out in the kitchen! My wife also can't wait for the light and temps to improve, so I'm outside not under her feet or trawling nursery and seed sites buying loads of things!

I do keep a diary, and as I have a 10'x12' greenhouse, I like to grow toms peppers and aubergines, with the rubbish summers we've been having, I'm trying to start that little bit earlier, but I have found that it is folly because most plants will catch up a few weeks in the main growing season anyways. The only way to truly get an early start is to have proper lighting and temp in the greenhouse, trouble is that makes your tomatoes very expensive to grow!!

14/02/2013 at 12:45

My tomatoes and peppers are germinating in the greenhouse...but I am in a mildish area of the country, and they are in a heated propagator, though not a rolls royce vitopod. The temp in the propagator's 65-70F.

14/02/2013 at 17:38

I've got a heated propagator, my husband got it for me. At the moment I've got Alstromerias in there and the tempreture is just over 80F. I have got Begonias to grow and the tempreture for them will be about 70F. This is my first year with a heated propagator and I am looking forward to putting it to good use.

18/02/2013 at 12:34

Thanks for comments, I agree the light levels are often a problem this time of year and as we all know light levels were a big problem all year in 2012!  I suppose a gow light is the next investment, these veg could turn out cheaper if I cover them in gold leaf!

Seriously what surprised me  was  a lack of instructions apart from how to put the side pieces together. Most seed packs give germination temps but not all. Ah well all part of the fun!

email image
7 messages