Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone used this mower

We are looking at buying a new mower. The one we most like the look of is a Honda HRX 476 HY and we wondered if anyone had used one? Grateful for any info. TIA.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

My lawns are about 1/4 of an acre.

• The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

I bought this mower http://www.screwfix.com/p/40cm-3hp-self-propelled-rotary-lawn-mower-with-briggs-stratton-engine/57652 for £169.99 its an absolute dream. 

for your size lawn i'd choose a ride on.

Dan x

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Beds are the wrong shape for a ride on. got the machine I asked about, works really well, even picks up the cuttings when they are wet.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 392

As an ex lawnmower dealer I would recomend Honda machinery to any one. I used to sell them with confidence as we never had any reliability problems with them so long as they are serviced annually.

• You can't beat a honda

I only have small lawns so i have a 17in honda izy.

• The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

My Dad has always gone for a Briggs and Stratton engine, he swears by them (and at them on the rare occasion when they do breakdown) very easy to fix and maintain. I haven't used a Honda yet but i have heard they can be expensive when they do go.

• backyardeebackyardee Posts: 132

I have had a Hayter Harrier 56 for nigh on 12 years and between us we have done some miles, but now we are retired. My mower is getting old and nees replacing, but the new hayters have narrower openings on them, I am looking for one similar. Roller on back but with full opening at rear. Living in Wales, I need one that collects wet grass. Any ideas folks.

• Hello backyardee,

The Honda HRX476QX has a roller and is self propelled. One user review on this site said it dealt with wet grass well, even when going up-hill: http://www.gardenlines.co.uk/lawn-mowers/petrol-rear-roller/honda-hrx476qx-rear-roller-self-propelled-mower---19-inch.

Smaller, cheaper Honda mowers are available like the Honda IZY HRG415PD and the Honda IZY HRG465SD. These both sound like great mowers (one was a Which best buy in 2011) but they're smaller than the Harrier 56 and have no roller. Apparently both of these deal with wet grass well! Honda mowers definitely seem to get some good write ups. image

• backyardeebackyardee Posts: 132

Thanks Lovelawn, I will look into them. I am still looking around. Hope i see some trade stands at malvern to check some out.