Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bamboo poles preservation

Hi i have just invested in some quite thick bamboo poles for the garden.  They look great. I was all set to use wood preserver or maybe sealant on the ends, depending what i could find that looked plant friendly, to stop it rotting in the ground.  However, on speaking to the seller, they said not to bother it will always rot underground.  Hmm.

Anybody got any experience of this?  I suppose anything from plants would rot eventually, but wanted to extend its life if possible. 

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Just to seal the hollow bit you mean? 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

What are you doing with them?  If it's for a permanent display, you might consider setting them in with cement.  If the cement ends above ground and slopes away from the pole you should get a number of years out if it.  Is it possibly rattan?  Are they hollow or solid?  

Utah, USA.

Hmm i quite like that Edd. 

I am good with cement Blue, but no they were going into soil, im eyeing up large evergreen climbers. Its bamboo, they are hollow in sections. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

Maybe mix up a small batch of patching cement (fine particles with no rocks) in a plastic cup and dip the ends of the bamboo in, then take them out covered in cement and leave them to dry?  You would probably need to dip them a few times to build up some layers.. maybe rough up the bamboo surface to be dipped with sandpaper first?  Sounds like a lot of work.. I'd just stick it in the ground and replace as needed personally.  If the end rots off, get the hand saw out and cut off the bad section.    

Utah, USA.

OK i have not bothered and just put them in the ground. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I painted some with a good quality fence paint about 10 years ago.  The canes did last considerably longer (I still have some of those) but the bit in the ground still rotted so they just got shorter over time. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Hmm thats what the seller said.  Ah well. 

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

I'm going to stick some welding rods up the bottom of mine so they last longer,iv'e got a load from work that had got damp and the flux as broke off ,will let you know how I get on with them !

Tony