London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
6 messages
07/08/2013 at 19:24

Can anyone list all the pros and cons of anvil and bypass secateurs?

I have a very old, rusty and blunt/chipped pair of (I think) bypass secateurs which have two curved blades. I see Lidl are doing bypass and anvil types for £5 so I'm going to get a new pair, but searching online only leaves me understanding that anvils are for thick bush branches whilst Bypass is for thin and light cutting.

However, are there any other things to know? For example, if you want to cut flowers to put in a vase, does it matter which secateurs you use, whether it's roses, daffodils or dahlias you're cutting? Bypass seem to be the right thing for this, but if they crush the stems, won't this make the flowers wilt quicker in a vase? And does it matter whether you cut straight across or at an angle?

07/08/2013 at 21:11

Think of a pair of scissors cutting through something really tough and slippery. The thing that they are cutting often slips sideways and you end up with jammed scissors, yes?. It's the same with tough plant material.Bypass secateurs are beautiful for small jobs involving very soft plant stems.

Think of a pair of pliers and how they can chomp through wire. The anvil type of secateurs do the same thing with tough plants.

I would definitely recommend that you buy the very best pair of secateurs that you can afford. Lidl's £5 jobs sound like money down the drain.

As to flower arranging, well there you have me. Flower stems are usually soft enough for bypass. If you are going to bring in a few holly boughs at Christmas I would say anvil.

07/08/2013 at 22:22

Why not buy both, I've about 5prs of secateurs, as I keep losing them and then find them several weeks later. You can't have enough prs of secateurs.

Now, pink handled one's are almost impossible to lose and prs with a loop allow you to hang them on a hook in the shed. It doesn't matter if they are anvil or bypass, if you can't find then you can't use them...  

07/08/2013 at 22:29

I like bypass secateurs for pruning roses. My favourite make is Felco, but they are a lot more expensive than £5, I think they are worth it, my cheap ones always broke or went blunt.

07/08/2013 at 22:30

I would say that the pink handles sound like a good idea. When you drop them into a bush they can be surprisingly hard to see.

Also, I would say that you should hold them in your hand and try them for size. I have small hands and find many too wide to grip

08/08/2013 at 15:22

My personal preference is Felco No 2 which I've had for many years but I do have large hands & they are too big for my wife - she has a pair of Wilkinson Sword, smaller & lighter but very good quality. Felco (not to be confused with the cheap name copy 'Fedco') do a number of styles: The No 2 are robust and currently retail at around £60 so not cheap. Spare parts are also available for Felco (just bought a new blade for mine after 25 years at RHS Wisley plant centre last week) - the only part that's needed replacing since I bought them new!

Buy the best you can afford as there is no substitute for quality.

email image
6 messages