London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
4 messages
12/03/2013 at 21:45

All our shrubs are evergreen.  Need a shredder that will take all the hard work out of trips to the tip to dispose of same.

13/03/2013 at 16:05

I use a Bosch machine which has now been superceded by newer models like the ATX25D. It uses a cutter like a sharpened gear wheel which rotates at slow speed against a pressure plate. This means that it is very quiet but isn't suitable for small scale green stuff like hedge clippings. It is designed to deal with larger branches and munches through stuff like laurel very effectively. The resulting mulch is too large for compost bins but makes a great mulch on its own if left for 6/12 months.

13/03/2013 at 16:25
steephill wrote (see)

I use a Bosch machine ....

I also have a Bosch shredder, an AXT 2000HP. I have several other Bosch tools, and been very satisfied with all of them.

This shredder is ideal for digesting small branches, and bamboo. As steephill says, shredders can become clogged by too much soft leafy material. The solution is to leave any dead branches which have a lot of soft leaves on them (such as privet) for a couple of weeks until the leaves have withered and dropped off, and then the machine can easily digest the hard wood.

I used the shredded material for topping up natural paths, and occasional mulching.

13/07/2013 at 22:52

I own an Allen Mighty Mac petrol shredder and its an absolute brute!!  If you have alot of pruning and leaves this is machine for you.  I regularly use it on friends and families gargens which have Leylandi,Yew, Lauren and Holly and this chops it all up nice ready to scatter back under the hedges as mulch  There is also a chipper which eats branches up to 1 1/4" easily.  The chute drops down and you can rake your leaves or trimming straight in and there is the option of a bag to collect.  They are expensive new, but you can find them on Ebay/Gumtree etc and use Anyvan or Uship to get it delivered to your door for not much more than a new electric Bosch or Ryobi.

email image
4 messages