10 messages
06/08/2013 at 19:49

Hello,

Im planning on digging up a bamboo clump next week and i was wondering what the best tool or method is of digging up the wooden clump/roots. The clump is surrounded by plants and paving so I dont have much room to slide a spade in around the sides. I was thinking of maybe using an axe to try to break it up. Does anyone know of any better tools or methods I can use to remove the roots?

Many Thanks,

Glyn

06/08/2013 at 20:45

a mattock might be handy.

06/08/2013 at 22:46

Spear and Jackson Neverbend root breaker.

http://www.parkertoolsonline.co.uk/Shop/tabid/79/CategoryID/54/Level/a/ProductID/333/Default.aspx

I saw one in the local garden centre. It has a  long metal shaft for better leverage, and is less likely to break than a spade.

07/08/2013 at 00:24

Crow bar.

07/08/2013 at 08:18

Yep, crowbar may be useful.  Good strong spade digging deeply amd thoroughly.  You say you don't have much room for a spade but a spade will be needed.  A pickaxe in the centre of,the clump to gain access

KEF
07/08/2013 at 08:49

We have something that's called a Grafter, quite heavy but very strong spade which is narrower at tip than where the handle is. This has got all sorts out, or I should say H with grafter has. Sycamore stumps and old apple tree.

10/08/2013 at 00:06

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29097.jpg?width=600&height=350&mode=max

I agree with Kev, these trenching spades 'grafters' are good, strong with a longish shaft for leverage,I use one for post holes, it will cut through almost anything including stone/bricks, it's long blade & narrow shape helps it get right underneath a plant & into tight areas, I would recomend any gardener to own one, my gardener friend borrowed mine so often i ended up buying one for her  

KEF
10/08/2013 at 08:18

Gid Joiner  

Glyn4 let us know what 'weapon' you use and how you get on. Good luck.

13/08/2013 at 20:56

Well after a trip to a well known DIY store I purchased an array of "weapons" which included an axe, mattock, loppers and wrecking bar. In the end the best tools where the wrecking bar to help dig into and break up the the solid clump and the loppers to help cut the bamboo and roots. Using good tools certainly makes the job alot easier!

Thanks all for your help!    

19/08/2013 at 22:32

(Y) well done, good tools & sometimes finding the correct tool is quite often the key to an easier job 

email image
10 messages