London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
8 messages
08/04/2013 at 18:15

Hello

Last year we had laid black slabs and the landscaper used a sealant on them. Unfortunately this made them look very shiny and black but also lethal once it became wet. They now look very unsightly as I have tried unsuccessfully to pressure wash off the sealant.... Does anyone have an idea of a good solution to take off the sealant that is safe for the garden???

08/04/2013 at 18:21

Do you know what the sealant is Annie, is it just a shiny coat or is it coloured?

08/04/2013 at 18:39

Hi Nutculet, its shiny unfortunately dont know its name

08/04/2013 at 18:48

http://www.concretenetwork.com/remove-concrete-sealer/ that might help, basically grit blasting or a chemical stripper but it needs to be the right one and it may take a pro to do the job. 

08/04/2013 at 18:54

Many thanks Blackest looks like I will have to gradually let it wear off as its indian black slate just hoped there was something out there I could paint on and then wash off that is garden friendly its such a large area that has been done

08/04/2013 at 18:56

To make it a bit less lethal, and speed up the process, have you tried putting sand down over the most used bits?  At least you'll have some grip when it's wet.

08/04/2013 at 18:58

I know this might sound obvious Annie but have you asked the contractor what they used or if they can remove it? It seems a strange thing to do if it means they're treacherous to walk on. Maybe they thought you just wanted to sit and look at them from afar! 

08/04/2013 at 19:19

Hi it was the first time the landscaper had used the sealant apparently and unfortunately his company no more!! Fine sand seems a good idea and it may wear down the sealant

email image
8 messages