London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
10 messages
11/10/2012 at 15:05

Hi everybody iv just finished sieving a raised plot on the garden to see if it helps,i copied the allotmenteer next patch  to me, i put 4 legs of rubish timber round a plastic bread tray that  you see everywhere and fastened the tray to it and used it as a sieve, just standing it on the bed and piling soil into it and shacking it a bit it worked a treat and the soil is just so light and easy to turn over and use ,so iv built  a stronger one and works a treat thought somebody might be interested

Cheers Alan4711

11/10/2012 at 15:19

See I always find these tips useful but I do not know where to find a bread tray

11/10/2012 at 15:22
Have a look in the resale section of your local recycling centre Kate. Alternatively, I've got one in my shed...I find it useful for carting plants and pots around.
11/10/2012 at 15:28

i cheekily went into where we get bread from and offered to buy one knowing full well  they dont sell them ,the lady when told what is was for said take one and i like tomatoes so a bag of tommies going her way soon i also noticed lots of them stacked out side farm shops they dont mind one going to a good home, good luck

11/10/2012 at 15:32

I can see that they would be great for general garden use and I will keep my eyes open on my travels.

11/10/2012 at 17:06

This is actually not a good idea, it is described as misappropriation of equipement and companies are pursuing people through the courts for the return of their property.

http://www.acqsys.co.uk/Press/March-2012/WHY-ARE-OPERATORS-%E2%80%98SCRAPPING%E2%80%99-%C2%A3200M-EVERY-YEAR-.aspx

http://www.themissinglist.co.uk/police-appeal/theft/bread-trays-stolen-whittlesey-peterborough/

12/10/2012 at 10:29

Right now joslow before this gets silly i did NOT ask anybody to become a T,leaf obviously you have to ask for  the bread trays,our bread shop is actually a bakery and farm shop so no high horses please just use common sense if that's not asking too much in this day and age as mi dad used to say "you cant help folk sometimes" perhaps ill take his advise and keep to myself  good luck all

Alan4711

12/10/2012 at 10:55

Alan

I don't think anybody was getting on their high horse- or that you were suggesting that they go out and steal things-I read it as a bit of sensible advice

If you have a tip that works then share it but also that this is a open forum-sometimes people will disagree-and are entitled to point out the pitfalls

Right- having sorted that out will now just pop over to some war-torn country and broker a peace agreement.

12/10/2012 at 11:18
Alan4711. Think joslow was joking. I think it great idea. Always interested in things like this.
12/10/2012 at 11:48

Christopher-I doubt that it was a joke-did you actually read the links?

-if you were in this business and someone stole your property would you treat as a joke?

I repeat a fair warning is how I looked at it

email image
10 messages